New exhaust doesn't sound all that great

-

chasonmarose

Reaction score
I have a 360 I juiced up quite a bit 10.5 to 1 compression comp xe275hl cam Flow tech headers with a magnaflow dual inlet and dual outlet muffler turn downs dumped at the rear axle 2.25 pipe all the way through. Doesn't give me that nice tingling sound from the exhaust any suggestions??

It's on a 74 d 100 1/2 ton I don't have a bumper or roll pan so that's why I didn't go straight to the back it would look weird with no bumper how do tips help??

Run two mufflers with no cross over and it will sound great.

Run two mufflers with no cross over and it will sound great.

Problem is I don't have much room is there a break In period for magna flow? I was looking for that nice changing choppy idle sounds ok but not too aggressive. Just installed it today at idle it's very drony

well try to have it exit in front of the rear tires, I've never heard a nice sounding engine with the exhaust exiting under the car especially with turn downs into the pavement

There's plenty of room. Run both the pipes down the passenger side. I've done it a lot. Works fine.

Problem is I don't have much room is there a break In period for magna flow? I was looking for that nice changing choppy idle sounds ok but not too aggressive. Just installed it today at idle it's very drony

MagnaFlow has a tinny sound to it anyway, at least from what I have heard from a couple of different systems. High priced tin cans IMO.

What ?? D 100 and no room ? I had a Ramcharger , which is close to a d 100 and it had plenty of room for 2 mufflers , ran them out to behind the rear wheels , sounded great , used hemi style mufflers .

Crossover muddles chop your looking for. 275 is not that radical for the chop you crave. Try a MP 509 cam, you already got the compression covered.

I've got a similar engine with a bit less cam, I have dougs headers going into 2.5 inch exhaust to 2 flowmaster 40s, and out to the rear. I love the way it sounds! Personally I've never really liked the magnaflow sound, but that's just me.

Get dual mufflers and bring the pipes out the rear or side, should sound alot better that way.

Got the Dodge pickup big plastic gas tank blues? Been there.
On my old 76 D100, I ran Heddman Hedders, 2.25 pipes, and Thrush glass packs. Routing was: Driver side; header, collector, 45 degree bend, glasspack, straight pipe. Passenger side; header, collector, glasspack, 45 degree bend, straight pipe. This made both pipes exit out the passenger side just behind the cab. Sounded great, assuming you didn't want to hear the radio or passengers at highway speeds.

Well I got her all figured out good ran drivers side around tyranny pan and then straight on the passenger side right above the rear end then turned them down 16 inches past the differential so I didn't boil the oil sounds pretty muscle like now. Changing the cam out this weekend to a thumpr

You're from Taber Alberta?
I'm just up the road from you in Lethbridge.
Maybe i'll see you at the Taber Cornfest car show in August......

Changing the cam out this weekend to a thumpr

God don't do that! That XE275 is WAY better and will make better power! The Thumprs are for sound! Do a little research and I think you'll find that the XE275 is a very good cam! IMHO your setting yourself up for disappointment!

Keep the XE275 and run a true dual 2.5" exhaust. It'll thump

I haven't changed the cam out yet I went and bought a comp 292 purple style. 509 with radical idle I'm going to try it and see what it's like. Hard to know unless u have 2 identical motors u can play parts with.

-
Back