no oil pressure

-
Seems to me like it almost has to be a lifter kicked out? I would definitely pull the valve covers off and check before I go thru the trouble of shipping it back.

It may be easy to fix but this is a new motor 270 miles . Ok it broke the #2 intake pushrod. cracked the ex pushrod. both about 2/ 2 1/2 from the rocker end, pulled all of them on that side . ever one was scuffed up or cracked about the same distance from the rocker. Remember 270 miles. checked the heads. one is a#4027596 which is a 71-89 I think the other is a 4448308 which is a 89-92 roller tappet head I read. Also the valve cover on the 308 head had to be notched to clear on the other side it didn't. The intake was flush on the 308 side but not on the other side. I need some input will these heads work together ok and why were all the pushrods scuffed up???

I think the 308 head might be the issue-if you're running a flat tappet cam. The 308 head is designed to run roller lifters therefore changes the angle at which the pushrod goes through the head. I think I've read occasions which 308 heads need to be clearanced for pushrods.

What is it you're working on,, I've re-read the whole thread and know you're working on a "crate motor" in a truck?? What's it supposed to be??

The reason your having problems comes down to rocker arm geometry. And I really don't understand why the builder would use two different era heads. But the pushrods should not be rubbing!

Which side has the 308 head? Driver's of passenger's? I'm less concerned about the valve cover notching and more concerned about the rubbing. Can you post some pics of it assembled with the pushrods in place?

A broke pushrod is not going to completely dump oil pressure..........................

I've also had the lifter remain in the bore, and the engine would lose oil press as the lifter was bounced above the oil gallery,, and the lifter would drop back at stop,,

When the pushrod broke it blew the lifter out and there went my oil pressure. The pushrods were hollow but the ends wernt I think that's why it broke instead of bending.
This is a 1974 dodge 360 with 350hp.
Does anyone know what the cc are for the 4448308 head? The 308 heads are on the drivers side and all this happened on the passenger side .

302 is a close chamber 318 sized port head

308 is open chamber 360 sized port head...

ill get some pictures today and try to get them posted. Has anybody on here heard off these hollow pushrods. The ends don't have a hole in them. All ive got is 340 stuff and their all solid.
Iam about to figure out I don't know what ive got but I don't like it. Ill pull the rocker shaft today (sunday)on the 308 side and see what they look like. But I am sure I don't want a 308 head on one side and a 596 smog head on the other side. And to think I bought a complete crate motor from carb to oil pan tuned on a dyno so it would be a easy swap. what a joke. Now I ve got to pull it out build a crate and send it back then probably argue with them.

Yes, I've used the hollow pushrods. they are lighter than the stock ones and won't "float" as easily.

I wouldn't use two different heads on the same engine. I would use two of the same 'vintage' head for both sides. Engines like things to be alike/even.

Not sure why the earlier head would have a problem unless there was a valve height/geometry issue. Something's causing those pushrods to be pushed the wrong way... the 308 is the better head of the two you have.

Was that motor bought from a Mopar Dealership, or was it bought from an independant builder??

I'm kinda thinking that was a "Monday" or "Friday" motor,, and should be returned for one from another day of the week... jmo

Was that motor bought from a Mopar Dealership, or was it bought from an independant builder??

I'm kinda thinking that was a "Monday" or "Friday" motor,, and should be returned for one from another day of the week... jmo

That was on my mind to ask. Who built this "crate" engine?

Why are you tearing this engine apart?
The builder said he would make it right, you have taken the oil pump off, and are getting ready to take the heads off?
Why? Pull it out and take it to him.

Well I was wondering what made it break and now I know. The 596 smog head has little passage for the pushrod to go thru like 3/8 hole and the pushrod just spun around and around rubbing on the casting till it broke from just being cut in half.
ever pushrod on that side was scored. The 308 head has a pushrod hole over 1/2 inch none were scored on this head side. The geometry was all wrong to.

-
Back