No one is perfect but you don't need to lie....

-

MAPS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know where to post this but I'm sure it can go in any classified thread.
I know that we all have our issues when it comes to our cars let alone our personal lives lol but that is no excuse for making up stories when selling your items.

Fair and square, everyone is entitled to sell what he has and to ask what ever he wants.
You. I, as a buyer, have the choice of saying yes or no. That's it. That's all.

Herein lay the "grey zones."

You as a seller can't be saying, "OK it's yours, how will you be paying me, cash, PayPal etc..." and then when the buyer goes to pay you ... The seller, disappears.
Does not reply for a while thinking "maybe he'll forget he wants to buy it, or maybe he'll find it somewhere else ..."

Finally after making contact with you, you offer some self appointed righteous excuse, " I don't want to sell it because I don't think it's working properly, it's not in great condition, it's not up to my standards, etc, etc, etc....

After, I the seller tell you the buyer, I will buy it from you and if it arrives broken, scratched, not useable for my application, then I have no right to whine as I've made it clear to you, im taking it and it will be my issue to deal with it once you release it to me.
Then the excuses start, nah, can't do that to you, won't respond back again, etc...

All because it's been sold to some one else for a higher price than what you originally where asking for, or simply just sold to someone else because he/she don't like the color of your hair.

The point Im trying to make is, tell the person straight out it's sold and that's that, but not all this crap about your character not allowing you, or the bravado of publicly stating you will just throw it away, take a hammer to it, etc because of your coffee of ethics.
That right there is telling the world yoh don't have any....

I'm sorry for ranting on like this but felt it's time the buyers are treated fairly honest, not honestly when Mr.McDollar is your source for morals and values.

MAPS

P.S. This is not intended towards any FABO members, per se.
Simply assessing a matter that happens more often than naught and needed to be aired to remove its stench.

I agree I had a guy do that to me on Facebook. Then later on tried to trade the exact same part that he told me was already sold for something I had for sale. I guess he had forgot he lied to me. Basically what happend he priced his stuff to low and after a 100 ppl jumped on it in 2 mins he realized he messed up and then went to another group and tried to sell the same part for 5 times as much but didnt know the same ppl was in both groups saw thru his shadyness. The way I fell about it is like you said even if you have a deal unless payment is sent it's never to late to back out just be honest.
I had a guy one time locally I had a gun for sale and I was looking for a 8.8 rearend he told me that he had a buddy with one and asked what kind of trading I'd do. I said I would be willing to trade even if (big if) it was what I was looking for. He said give me a couple days and I will get back to you. I said ok. Well that night i found a rear end on fb for 100 bucks. The next morning I messaged the guy and being polite and honest ( I didnt ghost him or lie) told him hey man dont worry about the rearend I found one. He sent me a message back and sisd oh hell no a deal is a deal you cant back out now. I was like what? You haven't even found one yet at 10pm last night you said give me a couple days. This is like 7 am and your telling me you already went out and bought one give me a break. It's not like we had met and shook hands and made the swap. We had a 3 sentence message on fb that is not exactly set in stone. Lol

damn that's a lot of drama. keep a jackass list so you know how to deal with screws next time you run across them, if it gets way out of order you do know where the ignore button is and how it works right?

I have been dropped out of deals before too.
It always reflects the integrity of the buyer or the seller.
I was after a dump trailer,last summer. 1000 for trailer and a metal shed.
Guy buys it and doesent want trailer.
I contact him,come to an agreement and i e-transfer him the money.
It came out exactly as it should.
Honest,and reliable on both sides of the deal.
I paid him and picked up trailer. We never even met.
There are good stories too.
Cant always dwell on the past,and
CYA...

I have been dropped out of deals before too.
It always reflects the integrity of the buyer or the seller.
I was after a dump trailer,last summer. 1000 for trailer and a metal shed.
Guy buys it and doesent want trailer.
I contact him,come to an agreement and i e-transfer him the money.
It came out exactly as it should.
Honest,and reliable on both sides of the deal.
I paid him and picked up trailer. We never even met.
There are good stories too.
Cant always dwell on the past,and
CYA...
True this :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Then there’s the buyers who claim, “I want the item”, and you box it up, send them the total with shipping, and never hear from them again. I have an area in my shop where I keep those boxes up items, and there are many. Yes, many from members here!

Then there’s the buyers who claim, “I want the item”, and you box it up, send them the total with shipping, and never hear from them again. I have an area in my shop where I keep those boxes up items, and there are many. Yes, many from members here!

That happens more times to more members than you think (just based on what you said and happens to me as well!)

My biggest gripe in this "hobby" is "best offer"! It is YOUR part or car, it is up to YOU to give ME a price and I can dicker from there or walk away, YOU KNOW what you need out of it, tell me what it is!!!

I agree with MAPS. I always am honest (because I expect the same). I bought a part the other day, both of us agreed to the price shipped, then I get a note he paid too much for shipping? I have got burned with shipping too. But once I agree on price to sell that's it. I recently had some pretty expensive stuff (which I lowered my price to buy a car), and I had a guy buy everything. got a car for less than I thought, so did not need to sell the parts that cheap.......but I lowered the price, and was not going to raise it just because the guy had the ability to pay!

Sorry to say, sometimes shipping is a deal killer. I try to use USPS as much as possible and only parts that fit in their boxes.

2 words: 'paypal' and 'pictures'. Hasnt failed me yet.

True story:
Tuesday...
"Hey, I want to buy that intake and I get paid this friday, is that cool? "
Sure....shall I mark it as sold?
"Yes, I can send you the payment as soon as I get paid"
OK. Ill be waiting. Itll ship as soon as I get the money.
"great, thanks!"

sounds good eh? Well, friday comes and goes no word on if the payment has been mailed and no e-transfer. Monday comes, then wed then thursday. USPS First class mail for an envelope is 90% 3 days to anywhere in CONUS. So you message him back, whats up with the payment?
"oh man, something came up and I had to buy a battery for my car but I can get you this friday for sure"
Well, OK but you need to send me a message friday evening if its still on
"yeah, sure and thanks for understanding"
Friday eve comes and goes. meanwhile you got 3 other guys chomping at the bit to buy it either locally or instant payment via paypal. You are torn between your word to "mark it sold" and honor the first guys request, or cut and run with a local guy or paypal guys. Saturday AM...You swallow and contact the next guy in line and he has paypal in your account within 5 minutes, and the preboxed intake is already in the back of your car.
Saturday noon, you get a message from mail boy that the check is in the mail. What do you do? Well, I messaged him back that since I did not hear from him Friday eve as I requested and you agreed on, I assumed the deal was off.
"Dude, your a dick. You told me it was mine and I went through hell trying to send you the money and now your backing out? Thats uncool. "
Yeah, I felt bad. I tried to honor my word, but there is a limit on whats acceptable. He did not see it that way, and for that reason I set hard dates on "the check is in the mail". And I still got screwed when a guy floated a check! People hate paypal, I live with it. And if your not on this board (with all its juicy gossip!) , you will have to live with it too if you do business with me. Just dont lie to me.....

LOTS of stuff goes on behind the scenes. Unfortunately not all are up front about it. Bottom line is it is their part so they can and will do what they want. That shifter I bet was sold behind the scenes. It was a good price and seller was unsure of what he had until a few members chimed in(myself included) and described what it was.
Good luck, hey my shifter may be for sale.... but comes with the car and a $20k price tag lol

Last edited:

True story:
Tuesday...
"great, thanks!"

sounds good eh? Well, friday comes and goes no word on if the payment has been mailed and no e-transfer. Monday comes, then wed then thursday. USPS First class mail for an envelope is 90% 3 days to anywhere in CONUS. So you message him back, whats up with the payment?
"oh man, something came up and I had to buy a battery for my car but I can get you this friday for sure"
Friday eve comes and goes. meanwhile you got 3 other guys chomping at the bit to buy it either locally or instant payment via paypal. You are torn between your word to "mark it sold" and honor the first guys request, or cut and run with a local guy or paypal guys. Saturday AM...You swallow and contact the next guy in line and he has paypal in your account within 5 minutes, and the preboxed intake is already in the back of your car.
Saturday noon, you get a message from mail boy that the check is in the mail. What do you do? Well, I messaged him back that since I did not hear from him Friday eve as I requested and you agreed on, I assumed the deal was off.
"Dude, your a dick. You told me it was mine and I went through hell trying to send you the money and now your backing out? Thats uncool. "
Yeah, I felt bad. I tried to honor my word, but there is a limit on whats acceptable. He did not see it that way, and for that reason I set hard dates on "the check is in the mail". And I still got screwed when a guy floated a check! People hate paypal, I live with it. And if your not on this board (with all its juicy gossip!) , you will have to live with it too if you do business with me. Just dont lie to me.....
In that case I dont think your a dick at all if you agreed an a payment date the 1st time and he didnt come thru its fair game it's still for sale. But you was nice enough to give him a second chance and he still didnt come thru....I'm sorry buyer you snooze you loose!! Period! You had have right to sell it to someone else imo!

Sorry to say, sometimes shipping is a deal killer. I try to use USPS as much as possible and only parts that fit in their boxes.
I rarely sell parts, but occasionally....I have noticed that USPS has the same rate, within a few nickels, priority vs "just in a box, weigh and measure it deal!"!!!!

In that case I dont think your a dick at all if you agreed an a payment date the 1st time and he didnt come thru its fair game it's still for sale. But you was nice enough to give him a second chance and he still didnt come thru....I'm sorry buyer you snooze you loose!! Period! You had have right to sell it to someone else imo!
I'm about to buy a steering wheel from a member that says he doesnt have paypal and wants a money order. I have only used paypal and I'm wary of any other way. How hard is it to sign up, not very.... so I'm torn to give up on it and spare myself any problems.

I rarely sell parts, but occasionally....I have noticed that USPS has the same rate, within a few nickels, priority vs "just in a box, weigh and measure it deal!"!!!!
if your lucky, a low rise intake manifold without the carb studs fits in a $19 flat rate game box. Or else it would cost $30-50 by weight.

I do a lot of flat rate pads and boxes. Also if it's some what local(east coast) I use the regional rate boxes. They dont really work good if I'm shipping to like the west coast they get expensive. Anything other than that I send ups ground. I despise FedEx

I'm about to buy a steering wheel from a member that says he doesnt have paypal and wants a money order. I have only used paypal and I'm wary of any other way. How hard is it to sign up, not very.
baby ****, super easy. If your wary of paypal fraud, dont link it to a bank account for overdraft protection. just transfer enough money to cover the purchase price. I never keep more than $50 in my account for security reasons and I dont have the automatic dipping into my savings account to cover anything I spend over my balance. Also its good practice to transfer any balance you have over to your bank account as soon as you get a payment larger than your normal balance. someone buys that $200 intake? Transfer it as soon as you get it. Paypal can deduct whats in your paypal balance without your consent for refunds, fees, etc but its rare and they do a good job of communicating these transactions. But if its not in your paypal account, they cant touch it.

I'm about to buy a steering wheel from a member that says he doesnt have paypal and wants a money order. I have only used paypal and I'm wary of any other way. How hard is it to sign up, not very.... so I'm torn to give up on it and spare myself any problems.
Not hard at all as long as they have a active credit, debit,or checking account.

True story:
Tuesday...
"great, thanks!"

No way man, as doing that twice is a deal killer and he can just suck it up.
I would give him a one slip up chance like you did, but twice? :icon_fU:
I'm amazed the prospective buyer was stupid enough to think it's your fault he didn't get the part.

baby ****, super easy. If your wary of paypal fraud, dont link it to a bank account for overdraft protection. just transfer enough money to cover the purchase price. I never keep more than $50 in my account for security reasons and I dont have the automatic dipping into my savings account to cover anything I spend over my balance. Also its good practice to transfer any balance you have over to your bank account as soon as you get a payment larger than your normal balance. someone buys that $200 intake? Transfer it as soon as you get it. Paypal can deduct whats in your paypal balance without your consent for refunds, fees, etc but its rare and they do a good job of communicating these transactions. But if its not in your paypal account, they cant touch it.
I've never had them take money for anything other than a purchase, luckily I've never had to refund or return anything, knock on wood. I dont use overdraft, I keep good accounting.

I have effed up on this when the wife drained the rest of the account after bidding/negotiating. Happened last paycheck, the first one after deployment. She sometimes operates like she's the only one on the account (because I was gone for a few months).

Speaking from a position of seller and buyer... It's up to the individuals to make things work. As for me... I would not be surprised if some of those boxes were stuff for me. I know I've totally forgotten about agreeing to pay before. It happens - had it happen to me as a seller too. So I send a reminder, and honestly I'd hope someone would do that to me if I "bone" them unintentionally. These are old car parts. Nothing is really that important in the big picture except mutual respect of the participants.

That is so true and to often....
When it comes to transactions 95% of the time I'm the seller. I seldom buy anymore. I sell on most all of the Mopar sites, but what really bothers me is the person who asks for pictures and a shipping quote and then just disappears. I have no problem with the buyer who decides that my part is not what they wanted or have found a better deal from someone else. Just reply back that with something like "I'm going to pass on your part"
I too am surrounded by boxes with parts in then from sales that are still in limbo.

I would consider the situation you describe as a flipper or yard money selling parts and if they can find the same part for cheap and sell it to you then win win. They use a delay tactics to find another part and keep you on the hook. Just move on.

-
Back