opinions on my '65

225 4bbl or V8 4bbl?

• 225, 4bbl, cam, headers

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • 273/318, 4bbl, cam, manifolds

Votes: 84 83.2%

• Total voters
-
Having all the info, IMO only, spiff it up, tune it up, clean it up, move it out. 318's are for cheap but by the time you swap trannies, linkeage and the rest of the stuff the profit is lost. Clean and shiny sells cars. Rust and dents and ratted interiors kills car sales

Times 2...

Why make the choices and bother with all the work just to sell the car?

Just be honest and sell it as is...or better yet fix it, drive it, enjoy it!

Paul

Is all that work going to pay for itself? Maybe offer it up for sale with choice of optional extra parts and let the new owner do the work or pay you to do it.

If you are just going to sell the car. I would put as little into the car as possible. There is a lot of work that goes into a V8 swap besides just having the V8 to put in the car. While you wont need to swap the k-frame on the first gen cuda to put the 8 in . you will need a new/used centerlink for a V8 . You will also need a different transmission if you have an automatic car or a different bellhousing if it is a stick. A V8 radiator would also be a good idea. You will also need a V8 engine harness or at least modify the /6 harness to fit the 8.The accelerator pedal is also different from 6 to 8 as i recall the 6 had a rod type linkage and the 8 uses a cable.Then there is the exhaust system that you will need . All this and you still haven't fixed the front end problem.

So...... with that said I vote for the 225 .

Now are you sure the 170 is bad ? I know you said that it was ticking but that could be a cracked exhaust manifold or the lifters could need adjusting .

Clean everything and sell as package. If they don't want parts, put on craiglist or ebay with mopar in the title and all will sell fast. My opinion is someone will bite fast and if they want the extra include it as the deal. Don't spend money and time for a few dollars earned, it rarely evens out.

Clean everything and sell as package. If they don't want parts, put on craiglist or ebay with mopar in the title and all will sell fast. My opinion is someone will bite fast and if they want the extra include it as the deal. Don't spend money and time for a few dollars earned, it rarely evens out.

X-2, Sell it as is and offer the other engine/parts as a package. Let the new owner do the work before he learns what a money pit these cars actually are.

Russ

I don't know why I'm thinking this way but a clean little early Dart or Valiant the slant would be cool. The Barracuda, a higher end car, should have the 273 V8 it seems to me.

I am pondering the same situation. My 66 Cuda was born with a 273 2bbl. I made it a street/strip car with a 170 slant, nitrous fogger system, 8 inch converter, manual VB 904 with a PB shifter, 8 3/4 rear 3.91 SG. The car is heavy for a 170, but the body is too good to cut it up, so I am thinking of selling it, as I have other cars, I don't mind cutting. The market for a car like this is extremly small, and I would be hard pressed to sell it for any where what it is worth.
I could sell it as a:
1) roller with a 7 1/4 rear
2) build a fresh correct date coded 273 2bbl, installed with a stock trans and rear (have most of the parts)
3) install a good used 89 Dodge 318 cop car drivetrain. (have on hand)
Question is, which would give me the best return on labor/parts invested.

-
Back