Opinions on value of '66 Valiant with 273 Commando

-

SSVDP

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think I should offer for a ’66 Valiant Signet two door hardtop that I found? I would like to make an offer that is fair for both the seller and myself but I’m not sure what a fair value would be. I know it’s all about the condition so here’s what I know.
Being sold by the original owner who ordered the car but it has not been running since 1978, he’s looking for offers. It has over 125,000 miles and still has its original 273 commando engine with the exhaust still, it even has the chrome tip on the resonator but it’ll need to be replaced. Other than the engine there’s nothing too special about the car - it has a bench seat and a 7 ¼” rear axle. The interior isn’t too bad other than rips on the drivers side seat cushion and passenger side sun visor. The vinyl top is almost completely gone, the paint is very thin and there looks to be some surface rust. There are small rust holes in the front fenders at the top and lower portion, the doors have some small rust holes too. Quarter panels have some small rust holes and there’s one in the trunk too but floors and trunk seem solid. He’s going to check out the frame and torsion bar mounting for me, let’s assume they are good for now. So there’s a lot of body work to do plus I know the brake and fuel system will need to be almost completely replaced. The brake work is ok because I would probably put on front disc brakes anyway but the gas tanks and fuel lines I’m sure are wasted. I'm sorry I don't have pics to post but there are some on this link ==> http://mysite.verizon.net/vzes9hbq/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/66-valiant-forsale.pdf

I'm not sure about the 66s but I would guess in the $2500 to $3500 range. It is a rare car and with the vinyltop it'äs even more rare. Does it have the badge on the rear C pillar. The should have special badges for vinyl top cars.

I will not give you a number, however, the way I see these deals are this way. The seller has a value in his mind, and it probably is one where he sees the vehicle in the condition he purchased it in. You have a value in mind based on the condition it is in now. I usually will make a list of what would be neccessary to get the car to the condition he "thinks" it's worth, and put in some ballpark prices for materials, parts and labour. Then ask him what he thinks is fair, if it's too high for you, leverage the price with what needs to be done, and if the price is close to yours, make the deal :)

Grant

Does the roll of carpet come with it? :D

The finished values of these cars has dropped so much, that it needs to be reflected in the unfinished prices. They seem to still be high for some reason.

Just my 2 cents, but I would say $1200 due to the neat factor, of it being such a cool car, with the history.

First off, you have to decide if it's what you REALLY want. If it's not and you get it, it will never be worth what you gave for it in your eyes. I like the early cars. The 66s not so much as the 64-65. But that's me. It would have to be a good deal for me because it's not necessarily "MY" favorite year model. Don't be afraid to lowball. The economy sucks. If the seller's serious, he'll entertain cash offers. Poor mouth yourself. Make out like it's all you can do to get by. To hell with payin too much for somethin in these times. Just my opinion.

I agree with everything Strokerscamp mentioned, except I like the '66's Signets a lot, they are rare due to competition from the Barracuda. However, rarity isn't much of a factor if there aren't any buyers looking for that car. Just curious about the condition of the stainless trim on the lower body, might be hard to find replacements.

OK, I'll say $1500-$2000 if you really like it.

What do you guys think I should offer for a ’66 Valiant Signet two door hardtop that I found? I would like to make an offer that is fair for both the seller and myself but I’m not sure what a fair value would be. I know it’s all about the condition so here’s what I know.
Being sold by the original owner who ordered the car but it has not been running since 1978, he’s looking for offers. It has over 125,000 miles and still has its original 273 commando engine with the exhaust still, it even has the chrome tip on the resonator but it’ll need to be replaced. Other than the engine there’s nothing too special about the car

My 2 cents worth. Figure your bottom line for when you get done. You are going to invest a lot of money and saving any on the initial purchase will help, but not much at final tally. It's worth what he will sell it for and what you will pay for it. I would do a excel sheet with costs for paint, interior, engine rebuild, tires, chrome, rust repair, anything you can come up with. Show that to the owner and 1, he will know you are serious and 2, it will be a big number. Then if common sense comes in you can get it reasonable. I like a 66 and with the 273 4 Barrel it will be sweet. However, $500 to $1500 is all I would do. Parts value for old used parts is not great. You would be lucky to get $1500 back if you do part it. It would be a shame to part it out. Good Luck!

With that much rust showing, I would be surprised if the frame rails were not rusted.
Good frame - $1200-$1500
Bad - ? Do you have another car to use the parts on?

Thanks for the replys, I appreciate the input. I'd really like to have this car and I love original owner cars especially 45 year old ones. But it will take a big commitment in time and money just to get it on the road which I'm willing to do. I think the owner would be reasonable as far as selling price but he doesn't really know what a fair value is either. With the brake and fuel systems needing to be totally redone along with a possible engine rebuild it could easily be into $4000 not counting the cost of the car and thats not even starting on body & paint. I would hate for this to be parted out but like a lot of old cars its probably worth more as parts than as a complete car. I just hope the carpet is included.

If the guy hasn't fired it up since '78, he must not care to much about it.. I couldn't pull the pics up, I'd offer him a $1,000 to $1,200.. Sounds like a good project, you better re-check that floorboard for rust...

If you blow up the pics and look it has rust holes in the 1/4 panel in front and behind the rear wheels and looks to have rust holes in the doors. Just a thought on the amount of body work needed.

-
Back