Over $6000 to install TTI headers on 66 Barracuda

Mopar General Discussions

1. 318willrun

318willrun Utube channel 318willrun

Local Time:
    4:47 PM
    6 grand? This has got to be a joke... No way on earth... I wouldn't consider 1 grand, this is absolutely ridiculous. Oh, by the way, I have some slightly used toilet paper for only 400 bucks a roll.... interested?

2. LocuMob

LocuMob Fluid Technician FABO Gold Member

Local Time:

I like this approach. Let's them know you are pissed. Don't let this hoser take all the fun out of having your car.

3. crackedback

crackedback FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    2:47 PM
    Coated headers?

If they are, I'd be inspecting them for damage/scratches and reduce any damage off his SIGNED estimate.

Did you sign a work estimate?

4. 1qwikScamp

1qwikScamp Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    OK everybody chill. Yes 6k is an outrageous number. The tech knows that too. Why is he asking that much? What all went into that 60 he's of work? There is more to this story than you (the op) is telling us I know some shops will sometimes try to squeak a few hours here and there by a costumer but at this level? There is something else to the puzzle. We need more details. A shop that can get 60$ an hour labor rate is probably a higher end shop

5. crackedback

crackedback FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    60/hr is bottom of the barrel for a legit shop in CA.

6. diymirage

diymirage HP@idle > hondaHP@redline

Local Time:
    5:47 PM
    does the 6K include the cost of the car?

7. chryslerfat

chryslerfat Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Around here it is over 100 hr

8. 1qwikScamp

1qwikScamp Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Still you said "legit" I don't see any legit shop doing something so outrageous. I just want to hear more of the story. What is the name of the shop and where is it located?

9. 71340Duster

71340Duster FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Please keep us posted on the results/progress. No way 6K. I've had shops refuse work I've inquired about because they KNOW it's difficult and they could go "upside down".

10. gregn96cuda

gregn96cuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    It's been said before call B.A.R. they are on your side. They will get your money back, or you can take him to small claims for an incomplete job.

Who's the mechanic Brendan M?

11. LIME TWIST DART

LIME TWIST DART Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I thought "$6,000" in the title was a typo. I would be pissed about spending $600. Although that would probably be fair on this car and that setup. 6k would have to be custom made from scratch with the best material, fit, finish and performance possible. I'm talking work of freaking art status. There is just no way. Go take your property back and don't take no for an answer. Thats your ride.

12. gdrill

gdrill OK, now what??? Staff Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:47 PM
    I think the "rest of the story" is the mechanic is getting divorced because of his crack habit and is taking the OP for a sucker. Even up here $6000 would more than include the purchase price of headers, full exhaust, with installation and final tuning on the supercharger. (Supercharger cost not included of course!)

13. bighammer

bighammer Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Don't give him a cent. You are being extorted. I recently went thru a similar situation with my wife's car. After a well worded letter to the service manager and the general manager of the dealership, today the general manager agreed to send me a check for $1,000.00, the amount I needed to keep it from going to court. Do your homework. You need not feel like you are at the mercy of an incompetent mechanic that has racked up a ridiculous bill.

14. Woods74

Woods74 Broke Senior

Local Time:
    This is why I learned to work on my own car; good advice all around! I've got to say, you should have asked us first before you pulled the trigger. Shops do this type of thing when they don't want the work.... Just an FYI..

15. Bulldozer

Bulldozer free ice cream sandwiches

Local Time:

never in my life have i heard such an idiotic dumbass statement .

6000 bucks is fkng full retard. that dude needs his shop burned to the ground

16. hemicop

hemicop Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:47 PM
    Hope you're at least getting kissed during this rendezvous & dinner afterwards, as 6k will get you a high-end hooker almost anywhere! Pull the car, find a local race car shop & get one of the guys to work off-hours on it for 1/10 the money & you'll still be ahead! It's THAT simple. Hell, you could tow it down here to Phoenix & you'd still be ahead if I charged you $500, the average rate around here for the job.
    Sorry you're in such a bad spot, but you need to step back & realistically look at the spot you're in & make some moves. Your "mechanic" sounds more like a con artist.....

17. toolmanmike

toolmanmike FABO MODERATOR Staff Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    X2 The original estimate of $1000 was enough. That's $83/hr. for 12 hours. I just can't believe the $100/hour prices now days. If I can, I will do it myself. I don't begrudge anyone of a profit but it sounds like you are getting a hosing. tmm

18. RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod Bla de blizhibliz de blatde blizi bla bla

Local Time:
    What's worse is, at dealerships, the labor rate is beyond 100 an hour, yet the mechanics rarely see much over 20 an hour.

19. lilcuda

lilcuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    James, sorry to hear about this. Too bad the Spitfires wouldn't work. Anyway, call the BAR if he went over the written estimate. I suggest talking to the guys at Campbell Auto Restoration. They aren't cheap, but they are very competent. A friend of mine works there.

Let me know if you need any advice. I used to work in the auto repair biz, plus I had my 66 for 27 years.

To the guys suggesting he take tow truck and a shotgun over to get his car - this is not the south. You would go to jail and be on the evening news if you did that here.

20. QuickBpBp

QuickBpBp Well-Known Member

Local Time:

21. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Old School Mopar Warrior

Local Time:
    You verbally discussed paying him $1000.00
    I would not pay a cent more...even though that's 2X what it's worth.
    If he will not finish the job for that amount, hire a tow truck to go get your vehicle and flatbed it somewhere else for completion.
    6k is ludicrous and not even anywhere near sane.
    Sounds like he's trying to make up for a bad week. His problem, not yours.
    Contact the BBB once you have your car.

22. 66fyssh

66fyssh Don't Stop Believin' FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Cudajames, I'm sorry to hear about this. For sure go get your car and headers. I can see him going slightly over by say 10% but not more than that.

RRR, I had a former dealership mechanic tell me yesterday he left his job after his boss told him he finished a repair too soon and leave the car on the rack for a couple more hours. I'm all about paying a fair price for a job, but I can't stand jack offs that rip people off.

23. Rengo

Rengo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Get your car and belongings, if it goes to court. Make the argument that you felt he was not competent and not capable of performing the duties. Then pay a fair amount for the 'work' completed.

24. WRB426

WRB426 Insane 4 Mopars FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Maybe there is more to the story. But at $60-100 an hour. It shouldn't take 60-100 hours to install a set of headers. I installed my TTI headers on my 64 Dart in less than a day in my driveway without a lift.
    Crooks will be crooks!

25. hemi446

hemi446 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Holy Bat S*it Batman I think you could get your car back for a big bag of crack. That guy couldn't get your headers on and still wants 6000.00 there is a big drug problem there. I got stuff from a customer for charging 200.00 to put headers on a big block 70 Nova. Don't loose it on the car and not all mechanic's are that fricking stupid. You just need one that gives a darn about doing a good job for a fair price. Keep going on the car and it will all be good.

• Like Like x 1
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.