paint

-
hmm yes tempeture/ curing too fast i would say is the culprit.
we had a hot hot week and it was the only week i had to paint unfortunatly.... so that combined with the fast dry times apparently killed it.
Well either way like i said i will have to knock the paint down wether its to re-shoot or buff out... so ill start with that and see if buffing works..
i spent too much time/money to throw it in the trash and start over... so if i can save it great if not whatever. thanks everyone (most everyone) for being so positive. and for others at least regarding my post's
please leave the negitivity at the door.... opinions are welcome but if your not helping then reading your post is a waste of time.
thanks everyone

well this is gonna be my first attempt at painting a car, i must say im scared to death after seing those photos..Hope all works out for you.

ahh well i talked to my friend that was going to paint the car and he said it was the clear/ hardener dried too fast and it was wayyyy to hott for it.
im gonna sand it down to nuthin and re-clear with a slower activator.... see how this turns out., but with this much texture even that will take days.....

ahh well i talked to my friend that was going to paint the car and he said it was the clear/ hardener dried too fast and it was wayyyy to hott for it.
im gonna sand it down to nuthin and re-clear with a slower activator.... see how this turns out., but with this much texture even that will take days.....

Best of luck with it hamesdart. Just think when you are done you will know it was done right and for a fraction of the cost what a shop would have charged.

Thats what I was figuring it was......the activators are only ment to be used in a certain temp range per type of activator...fast for cold weather,medium for warm weather and slow for hotter weather....and if too hot then dont paint anyhow.

ok good news... got some new clear today... car is sanded down and i got the jist of what needs to go down...
On top of that this time i will go 4-1-1 and ad clear to the mix. i went on the manufactures website and they said add thinner if you need for weather....
SO round 2 here we go!

One more thing, if you are going to re-spray the base color turn the pressure up about 10 lbs and kkeep the gun further away on your last pass to blend or as some call it l"lay out" the metallic's In your photos from before it looks like the metallic is layed on too heavy and you can end up with shadows that you cant see till the car is buffed out. Think of it as a sorta dust coat.

good luck again!

:cheers: re-sprayed the few spots that went past the base coat when sanding and re- sprayed the clear!
everything went on a little smoother... better weather
ill get picks soon

:cheers: re-sprayed the few spots that went past the base coat when sanding and re- sprayed the clear!
everything went on a little smoother... better weather
ill get picks soon

WE WANT PICS NOW LOL..... but seriously,post up some pictures, anxious to see the difference from before and after!

i had the same problem my first paint job i did in 1 day outside nice hot day no clear looked way better then it did before but now i know so when i do my car great topic i learned a few things the car was also a ford so who cares lol

ok guys well thank you for all the help during this whole thing...
Now next is the following decicion, colors on the rest of the car.
I have my black fiberglass bumper, black fiberglass hood and then my steel rear bumbper
What do you guys think about just painting both bumpers and the hood all black? just to match the bumpers, im not too fond of everything being body color, then its like your trying to mask the fact that you have fiberglass parts

ok guys well thank you for all the help during this whole thing...
Now next is the following decicion, colors on the rest of the car.
I have my black fiberglass bumper, black fiberglass hood and then my steel rear bumbper
What do you guys think about just painting both bumpers and the hood all black? just to match the bumpers, im not too fond of everything being body color, then its like your trying to mask the fact that you have fiberglass parts

This guy looks like he does a great job with faux chrome painted fiberglass bumpers

http://www.snschrome.com/photo.html

Man that looks rough. Sorry to see that. It's too bad you didn't stop right away when you could see the clear laying down not so smooth. If you blocked everything out with 600 you'll be fine. You are essentially doing a flowcoat. Hope you didnt burn through to the base. Any place you burn through the clear needs more base. It will show up later through the clear.

How was your gun adjusted? Try bumping up the pressure to 30-32 psi for the clear. It likes atomization. Depends what gun you are using too. Good guns make a huge difference.

As a DIYer I use the absolute slowest activators and reducers possible.

These guys can help you too. autobody101.com

I see on another thread you posted up pictures of the car after you recleared it!!!! to good to repost for the guys who have been giving you advice all along?......lol,looks WAYYYYYY better now. good job on saving te paint. I also see you are running on pinks on the 9th,good luck and be sure to represent 4abodiesonly while your there. glad to see your getting your car pulled togeather

yah i just posted earlier that i fixed it and re-shot but i guess some people didnt read that haha.
But yah gotta put in some more work... were do we get some 4abodiesonly stickers for the car?????

new pictures

P1000837.jpg

P1000838.jpg

you can get the fabo stickers at the fabo store on the top of your screen....as for the car......from the pictures I can kind of make out so orange peel but it look very minor and even more so compared to what it looked liek before lol!......don't take that comment as a rip on the paint job, I think it looks great...you did a great job on fixing it, I seen the pictures of before and it looks screwed lol. I am glad to see you got it fixed up and looking sharp. great job

hamesdart
Looks like your home booth worked out ok, the nice part about doing it at home rather than renting a booth is that when you get an OOPS you're not running back and forth for the repairs. Looks like you did a nice job in the end, the members here might be interested in the total cost including items for the booth. Kev

Looks good man! i read through the whole thread and saw the pics too and it looked pretty rough in the beginning....it reminded me of when i primered my car twice and both times ended up with severe bubbling from doing it myself....in the end though i ended up saving it and the paint job came out awesome...yours looks like gold right now too! it may not be perfect, but from what you had before and the fact that you did it yourself in a homemade booth, i give you the full thumbs up!

paint 1 gal bondo = $650 for candy red effect paint
sandpaper... not sure maby $40
masking tape and painters drop cloth probly $30
fans/filters = $50
Roughtly $770 doller and some good long days for my candy red paint job.

-
Back