Parts - buy/sell to help fellow members or make $?

-

DA69RT GT

South Florida Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok- Im relatively new here... so maybe some "veterans" can help shed some light for me.
Im just wondering if we are here to help each other out... or make a buck taking advantage of each other?
I mean, I too like to make addtl cash on parts- but they are leftover parts I do not need, and many I give away to friends who are in GENUINE need of the part. Im not buying items to turn them over at a profit. I sincerely appreciate when a member lists an item I need at an affordable price.

Example: Saw a part listed just last week that I could have really used at a great price ($20) but it sold quickly. Figured I missed a great deal again.
Well low and behold I go to Moparts today and the same very part is being sold by the person who bought it here for $75!!! and just a week later!

Thats just not right. Again- Im all in it for everybody to make a buck but I thought this site was here to help each other out- NOT take advantage of each other.

Done venting- Merry Christmas!

Unfortunately, in an open market, that's the way things work. Some people make their living doing it. Some people see a deal and want to turn it around to buy other parts they may need. Some people get their panties in a bunch about "flippers" but it's the nature of the beast.

Some guys have silver tongues and can sell a turd like it's gold plated. When I identify them, I avoid doing business with them. But unfortunately, prices will over-all bring what the market demands. If someone is asking a low price, the item will usually sell very quickly. And sometimes they end up for sale again. You may see it as flipping. The person that bought it probably saw it as an investment.

I usually don't sell any of my stuff. I'm a hoarder. Apparently according to popular TV shows, I have a disease. I do occasionally give parts away to friends.

I agree that we should help each other out here on FABO, especially if it's a young gun or someone who we know is struggling.

That being said, I found an A body 8 3/4 on CL two hours from my house for $50. $60 in gas for the truck and $5 at the carwash, I had $115 in it. I sold it on CL for $500. Should I have offered it up here on FABO on the cheap?!? Maybe, but I am building a car also and need every spare dime I can get, so I sold it on CL, to a guy who thought he was getting a fair price. Does that make me a bad person? I hope not.

yep, every buyer and seller in the market place has their own objective and attitude.
Right now I owe 2 members for parts that I agreed to buy. I'm 81 dollars in the red on a deal too. All I can do is pray for everyone involved.
Good luck to you.

I think trading is probably a better way to get things done. I myself am on a budget, wife 2 sons, house, car payment. I am sure the big parts vendors are making a huge profit on some parts for my 64 Gt. I am internet savvy and recently found a maker of 64 Dodge Dart tail lights for half the price the big dogs are charging. Maybe, I found their source?

it all depends on the part. i recently gave away a ton of stuff i will never use. but i do pick things up here and there that i know i can make money on. it helps me get money for my project. personally i think your nuts if you don't make money on stuff you can make money on. i have no problem helping people out with free or cheap parts at times and i have done so numerous times with guys here but if i know i can cash in on a part i picked up cheap i'm doing it. it always cracks me up when people cry about flippers. i know guys that make a living flipping. they do a lot of work to get those parts or cars. get to the parts or car first and pick it up on the cheap if it bothers you so much. that means spending the time on ebay,craigs list local papers..etc...etc..etc...

I agree that we should help each other out here on FABO, especially if it's a young gun or someone who we know is struggling.

That being said, I found an A body 8 3/4 on CL two hours from my house for $50. $60 in gas for the truck and $5 at the carwash, I had $115 in it. I sold it on CL for $500. Should I have offered it up here on FABO on the cheap?!? Maybe, but I am building a car also and need every spare dime I can get, so I sold it on CL, to a guy who thought he was getting a fair price. Does that make me a bad person? I hope not.

you did the right thing in my opinion. you did the work and got a deal. then you made money for your project. anyone upset should have gotten to the deal first. ya snooze ya lose.

I had some parts for sale at a swap meet. A vendor made me an offer, on them. After a little haggling, I sold them, to him. Awhile later a friend came to me and said that "SOB", was selling the parts he got from me, for almost twice the price he paid me. I said "what's the problem", I got the price I was looking for. He owns them, and can do whatever he wants. I could have asked the same price he was asking, and maybe they would sell, and maybe not. As it turned out, the vendor had them at many swap meets for at least a year, before he sold them, and got his "return on investment". I was happy with the money I got, the vendor (business man) got his profit, and hopefully the buyer was satisfied with his purchase.

PS: what my friend thought meant nothing, as he had no horse in the rodeo.

PPS: That vendor has found me some parts I needed, and couldn't find, and sold them at a cheap price (a couple of items free).

I am trying to sell this ashtray fro $50!

Just kidding Doug. Thanks for hooking me up with it if you haven't recieved any of my messages already.

Attachments

• PC140001 (Custom).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 296
I am trying to sell this ashtray fro $50!

Just kidding Doug. Thanks for hooking me up with it if you haven't recieved any of my messages already.

You gave me my first laugh this morning :toothy10:

Now that was funny! Noel...glad you got it and hope that ashtray is filling the "void".

I do realize its an open market and that some people make their living buying/selling... I can fully understand and respect that. BUT when a member of this site is selling something at a reasonable price- it usually means hes trying to help somebody else out or doesnt know the true value (not that often). Not everyone can check this site every hour for the "good deals". Ii is usually in the am or after putting the kids to bed.

ALSO- not crying about flippers BUT If the member who turned this around was not self-conscious of what he did- why didnt he re-list to sell here on FABO instead of jumping it over to another site (Moparts)???

I guess Im too old school- not rich and just looking for honest deals- living in a "help thy brother" type Christian lifestyle. I cant condemn someone for making a living...

I had some parts for sale at a swap meet. A vendor made me an offer, on them. After a little haggling, I sold them, to him. Awhile later a friend came to me and said that "SOB", was selling the parts he got from me, for almost twice the price he paid me. I said "what's the problem", I got the price I was looking for. He owns them, and can do whatever he wants. I could have asked the same price he was asking, and maybe they would sell, and maybe not. As it turned out, the vendor had them at many swap meets for at least a year, before he sold them, and got his "return on investment". I was happy with the money I got, the vendor (business man) got his profit, and hopefully the buyer was satisfied with his purchase.

PS: what my friend thought meant nothing, as he had no horse in the rodeo.

PPS: That vendor has found me some parts I needed, and couldn't find, and sold them at a cheap price (a couple of items free).

Lol. Happened to me in the past also.

Was selling all kinds if abody stuff at e-town years ago when that event eS actually good. Had a spotless set if 73 dart fenders for sale cheap because let's face it in the mid 90's anything 73-up was a parts car. So we sold them for like 50-75 dollars for the pair. A vendor put bought them and had them on his space for like $200 for the pair. The next three or so years we laughed because he was still putting those same fenders in his space for sale only they were now beat to hell from him having to load and unload those over priced fenders year after year. Lol

Now that was funny! Noel...glad you got it and hope that ashtray is filling the "void".

I do realize its an open market and that some people make their living buying/selling... I can fully understand and respect that. BUT when a member of this site is selling something at a reasonable price- it usually means hes trying to help somebody else out or doesnt know the true value (not that often). Not everyone can check this site every hour for the "good deals". Ii is usually in the am or after putting the kids to bed.

ALSO- not crying about flippers BUT If the member who turned this around was not self-conscious of what he did- why didnt he re-list to sell here on FABO instead of jumping it over to another site (Moparts)???

I guess Im too old school- not rich and just looking for honest deals- living in a "help thy brother" type Christian lifestyle. I cant condemn someone for making a living.
Its holding the screws for my dash right now.8)
Joking aside, I am a strong believer of paying it forward. I have been fortunate enough to get some of the stuff needed for my car on FABO, and at great prices on most. There is a fine line with helping out and still needing to make a living. I had a bicycle shop and would try to help the needy, the problems came when the rent man didn't care about the people I helped, he just wanted his money. I too am guilty for buying low and selling high. It all depends on the situation I guess. I managed Play It Again Sports for awhile and we were buying stuff for a third or less then what we were selling it for. But thats what was needed to pay the bills.
Tough call because of the variables as to what is right.

Lol. Happened to me in the past also.

Was selling all kinds if abody stuff at e-town years ago when that event eS actually good. Had a spotless set if 73 dart fenders for sale cheap because let's face it in the mid 90's anything 73-up was a parts car. So we sold them for like 50-75 dollars for the pair. A vendor put bought them and had them on his space for like $200 for the pair. The next three or so years we laughed because he was still putting those same fenders in his space for sale only they were now beat to hell from him having to load and unload those over priced fenders year after year. Lol

Another thing I learned in retail. How long do you want to pay rent on an item before it looses its value? Not saying those fenders weren't worth somthing but he is sitting on them waiting for the sale instead of turning them and putting that money into something else he could turn faster. I guess some people are retired and do it as a hobby so it wouldn't matter how long it sits.

Another thing I learned in retail. How long do you want to pay rent on an item before it looses its value? Not saying those fenders weren't worth somthing but he is sitting on them waiting for the sale instead of turning them and putting that money into something else he could turn faster. I guess some people are retired and do it as a hobby so it wouldn't matter how long it sits.

i agree. they took up space and he had to keep loading and unloading them which cost money. i got my $75 and had cash to buy something else and a ton of room opened up from the fenders being gone...

I guess Im too old school- not rich and just looking for honest deals- living in a "help thy brother" type Christian lifestyle. I cant condemn someone for making a living..

i can not believe you brought religious bull **** into this. that crap has nothing to do with it. most guys here will and do help others with parts. i know i do and especially with young ones coming into the hobby but there is no way they should be expected to give or sell items that will bring good money away for next to nothing. when i was young coming into the hobby old heads helped me out but they sure weren't giving stuff worth $$$ away i can assure you of that. it comes down to if you want the deals you need to do the leg work. if you rely on someone else to do the leg work then you usually pay for him to do the leg work. its so simple that it shouldn't even be a discussion..

use it for a way of life, nothing wrong with it. but your using it as i have cristian faith so i should be hooked up with parts or atleast thats how i take it when i read it. thats wrong in my opinion. use your faith for real things not begging for car parts.

ok, i may be called a flipper. so be it.
if you follow my threads, i list what i pay for a car. i do not care. i also list what i pay for parts.
i do and have helped out members with cheap parts, that we all know could of got more money for. but i also like to get PAID for alot of the items that are the "ONE-OFFS". what i mean by that is, when i get a sharktooth grille, ralley dash, 340-4 speed setup, i want to cash in. if i drive halfway across the country to buy a car to either strip or fix and resell, bet your butt that i want to get the most out of it.
i have taken alot of road trips for the stuff i sell. I LIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE IN THE MOUNTAINS OF VA and there is nothing here. in the last 4 months, i have gone to ma,fl,sc,nc,mi,oh,pa,nj,ct,de,md,wv,ky,tn....and further, just for a motor, trans, grille,cars..........you know the drill.
there is no jobS where i live. my family suvives by what i do. i also retore some of these cars, quickly and correctly, and the outcome of the sale shows my profits.
if it was not me, it would be the next person. i am good at using my hands to work, that is all i know how to do, and i use it to survive. my wife has a full time job. she makes enough to cover the rent, car ins, phone, electric. that is it. that leaves not a dollar for the winter when we go through 140 dollars a week in heating the house, nor for a single toy for the children.

i love my job. i have two kids. i start work at 8 in the morning, get to spend the day with my son cause he is not in school yet, and it brings extra money into the house. not that i have any cash right now, i do not. it is still tight. the market can be great this week, and then next week nothing sells..............................................................................part of the thing called LIFE

Then Doug there is the other side of the story. I can't tell you how many times I have trusted my faith in the goodness of mankind only to have my nuts smashed with a hammer. I send parts and ask only for postage and never received a dime a thank you or kiss my A$$. This has nothing to do with Doug by the way, He is a fine friend and companion. I'm talking about others on here, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

I try to help others out with parts, at a very reasonable price. My "toy" budget is very small, and I know there are others in the same boat. Many have helped me with parts at a price (many free) I can afford, and I try to do the same. However, I do need to make a small profit on some parts, so I can buy what I need. I got a deal on a "A" body 8 3/4 rear. If I were to sell it, I would sure ask more then the $200, I paid for it. But I sure wouldn't ask the $800 up prices I see some asking.

-
Back