Parts - buy/sell to help fellow members or make $?

-
I've been in this forum for a while, and know who the flippers are, and don't deal whith them, especially when you know the real value of the part. I basically just sell parts that I don't wont/need anymore. Just to put them in a hobbyists hands, for 1/2 price of what I could get. I give stuff free, just for shipping.
I have bought stuff in this forum; all great, except for one part wrong year- I figured he didn't know the year, no problem.
But you have to watch, and identify the flippers. The should be banned from this great group. Joey??? see this???

I had to buy three parts cars to get the quality of parts I wanted for my car. I have sold some things I didnt use to recoup a few bucks. How does this fare with you? Am I wrong to try and make some of my money back?

I've been in this forum for a while, and know who the flippers are, and don't deal whith them, especially when you know the real value of the part. I basically just sell parts that I don't wont/need anymore. Just to put them in a hobbyists hands, for 1/2 price of what I could get. I give stuff free, just for shipping.
I have bought stuff in this forum; all great, except for one part wrong year- I figured he didn't know the year, no problem.
But you have to watch, and identify the flippers. The should be banned from this great group. Joey??? see this???

what do you mean, identify the flippers and ban them. go f yourself. who are you? i'll tell you what, if you got all the flippers banned from this site, you would lose alot of members. also, you would have half the restoration threads you see. you make absolutly no sence. there are flipper that get the parts cheap and list them at fair prices, then you have the flippers that gouge. if you see something that you want, and the flipper is gouging, then do not buy from them.

and you say you sell parts cheap that you do not want or NEED anymore. there, you said it all. all of us have THOSE junk parts laying around that are a dime a dozen. they are not the parts that a majority that members buy on here.
you do not see someone pulling a 8.75 or a sharktooth grile out of there car cause they do not want it anymore.. what you see going cheap is.....................all the common stuff, like parts that are on /6 or 4 door parts.

i think i would rather pick up a MOPAR and pull all the good parts off of it before it goes to a crusher.

and if all the members just bought those CRAP parts you got laying around, then all these car would be plain gane dime a dozen cars.

also, look through the classifieds. i will go out on a limb and in the parts section, 75 percent of those parts under mechanical are performance parts or the more rare stock parts............... most of the exterior parts are the more valuable items.

i think your comment is ignorant, and totally off point.

JOEY, SEE THIS????????????????

I agree with 340plot. If I have something that is of value, unless you're a friend or family, that's what I sell it for. I don't gouge anyone. It's called funding my hobby.

If you need a window crank, that everyone else has laying around their garage, I'll mail that to you for postage.

It all depends on the market. Would you pay $200.00 for a complete A-body 8 3/4 3.23 SG rear axle assem.? Hell yes! Would you pay $2000.00 for it? You will when that is what they bring! I bought a New 71 Hemi GTX for $3975.00 in early 1972 does that mean I should expect to buy one for that now! Parts are worth what people will pay,period.

Why does flipping parts for profit garner so much anger, when compared to cars?

Those against flipping for profit.... Would you sell your car for what you have into it? What about your house? Would you sell your house for what you have into it? What about someone offering a part too cheap? Do you volunteer to pay the higher price since that is what it is worth?
Most wouldn't. Why? Because they have "x" car with options "K, L, and M, plus Q that makes it really rare".

Value of parts is in the eye of the buyer, and to lesser degree, the seller. If Seller has item 12345, and he is selling for XYZ or best offer, then that is the deal. As a buyer, it is your responsibility to buy it for what you think it is worth, or what you can get it for.

Should Brian T have paid 300 - 500 for the A body rear end? The other person was asking X. Brian paid X. Brian invested his time, and sold it to someone else for Y, and someone else determined it was worth Y to them.

Personally, I've given away $200 parts before to friends that I knew needed them. I've done 12 hour cam swaps for free. The way I see it, we're brothers in cars.

Then again, maybe (doubtful, but maybe), that assbag reselling parts is out of work and just trying to feed his family, and you're helping him out by paying the $75. Who knows?

Those against flipping for profit.... Would you sell your car for what you have into it?

I'm not necessarily against it. But to answer your question, if you want to give me $80,000 for an '06 Magnum, then yes, it's all yours. Pick it up tomorrow!!!

Would you sell your car for what you have into it?
Yeah, but nobody would pay half that for it!:pale:
Awesome theological discussion to start the day. Christians and car parts; flippers and freebies. That's why I love this site.

When I was first on the site I sold a few parts...too cheap...had a few members work me on the price because "it was the part they needed for their build and didn't have a lot to spend on it so could I take that into consideration and lower my price"....only to see these parts end up on ebay for alot more then I sold them for "to help another member"....yes it is irritating but I moved on and now I'm just careful who I'll give a good deal to and from whom I'll buy parts. Patience plays a big part in buying parts. I've seen parts sell on here for $200.00 and seen the same thing at Carlisle sell for $20.00 so you just have to be careful and look around. There is not much that is as rare as some would have you believe.

Why does flipping parts for profit garner so much anger, when compared to cars?

Those against flipping for profit.... Would you sell your car for what you have into it? What about your house? Would you sell your house for what you have into it? What about someone offering a part too cheap? Do you volunteer to pay the higher price since that is what it is worth?
Most wouldn't. Why? Because they have "x" car with options "K, L, and M, plus Q that makes it really rare".

Value of parts is in the eye of the buyer, and to lesser degree, the seller. If Seller has item 12345, and he is selling for XYZ or best offer, then that is the deal. As a buyer, it is your responsibility to buy it for what you think it is worth, or what you can get it for.

Should Brian T have paid 300 - 500 for the A body rear end? The other person was asking X. Brian paid X. Brian invested his time, and sold it to someone else for Y, and someone else determined it was worth Y to them.

Hell yea I would love to sell my car for what I have in it. What's in it is way more then its worth.

I find the ones that ***** about flippers most are the lazy ones that don't want to do the leg work but still wants the deals the leg man gets. Hey sometimes its just dumb luck to get a great deal. Most of the time its from years of networking yourself and being the first guy with cash to answer the ad. It's sure not rocket science but it can be hard work

Some of these posts struck a chord with some others. My 2 cents? Any part being sold here is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you pull a part off your car and you are willing to let it go dirt cheap then you got your "worth" out of it. If the person you sold it to know someone willing to pay more for it then they will inturn gotten their "worth" from it. Most people here are helping each other. I have a deal on the table right now buying a part that one member does not need but will make part of my resto project very easy and save time. Thus it's worth more to me than him. In turn, I will most likely sell that part that I replaced and recoup my investment. And who knows, while that part is worthLESS to me it may be worth more to him. So in that sense I don't think anyone is being taken advantage of and not sure that there is anything wrong with it.

When I still had my Dart Convertible, it was very hard for me to justify dropping coin on some parts for it. However, when I knew a certain car had parts I needed, and that I could recoup some of money bought buying the car and therefore lowering the price to me of the parts, I would get it in part it out. I charged what I deemed to be reasonable prices for the parts I was selling, sometimes I came out on top sometimes I didn't.

I do know this, I have sold parts to LOTS of people, many people are repeat customers. All of my prices were far less than YearOne and when I list parts on here I always try to look at eBay to see what they are going for on there and mark them down a little for people on here ( 1. Because I'd rather see them go to another FABO member, 2. I hate how eBay has been overrun by the bigger 'power' sellers who says a part from an 08 Mazda fits a 69 dart, & 3. I hate the outrageous fees eBay chargers now ).

I know that if I didn't not part out cars, and buy parts from other people doing the same thing, there is no way I would have had my a-body for as long as I did!

Do I think it was right the guy bought the emblem from me for $20 and selling for $75? I really honestly don't care. I wanted $20 for it and got it. If I had 'researched' it a bit more I might have gotten more, but o well.

People who hate 'flippers' as a whole are arrogant a**holes. Get off your high pedestle! Do some people take advantage of others while flipping parts? Yes! Do all flippers? No! A seller will not get more money for a part than someone is willing to pay.

I'm not a parts dealer, so if I have something extra that someone else needs, it goes for cheap, or free. I believe in the spirit of this site. Part flipping is fine, but don't come on here like my best garage buddy, and try to make a buck.
Call yourself a spade, and I will forever respect your attempt at making a few bucks.
Call yourself brethren of the car crazy people here, and you will just simply be a cheat in my eyes.

Would you sell your car for what you have into it?

I suppose I should clarify. If you had a car that you bought a long time ago, or bought for a really good price (part of the discussion), and was worth MORE then what you have into it, would you sell it for what you had into it?

As an example, I bought a 70 Challenger 15-18 years ago. I paid 2,000 for it. I drove it for several years, swapped form 383 to 440, etc. It has been through many incarnations, paints, wheels and tire, etc. I probably have 3K into it as it sits, in primer in the garage. There is no way I am selling it for what I have into it, and I truly doubt I would get any flack for my stance.

I guess I am more intrigued as to the discussion between flip for profit on cars versus parts.

I'm not a parts dealer, so if I have something extra that someone else needs, it goes for cheap, or free. I believe in the spirit of this site. Part flipping is fine, but don't come on here like my best garage buddy, and try to make a buck.
Call yourself a spade, and I will forever respect your attempt at making a few bucks.
Call yourself brethren of the car crazy people here, and you will just simply be a cheat in my eyes.

So if you picked up say a complete 340 for say $100 and were not gonna use it you would resell it for $100 knowing you can get $500 to $700 for it? If you say yes your either a liar or just really stupid.

I still don't understand what the big problem is. No one is forcing you to pay a price if it is too high. Price will be determined by the market. If someone has a part listed too high, it will not sell until it reaches the market value, or the the value to some individual. Ultimately, you has the buyer has all the power over the market. Don't agree with a price? DONT BUY IT! However, untill you do purchase that part, IT IS NOT YOURS TO DETERMINE THE PRICE ON! If Bobby Sue wants to try to sell his 225 block for $800, let him! It doesnt' hurt you one bit. However, if Bobby Sue waas selling his 340 block for $50, there would be no bitching whatsoever from any of you!

IF I CONSIDERED YOU MY FRIEND ON HERE- I WOULD ABSOLUTELY SELL IT FOR WHAT I HAVE IN IT!
Their are members on here who can attest to that.
If I bought that motor, it would be because I need it. If I didn't, I'd let you all know where to find it. Money, I have lots of, honor, well I try to earn that everday.
I forgive you for calling me a liar, this is a cynical world we live in.

Money, I have lots of, honor, well I try to earn that everday.

Unfortunately, there are many on here, myself included, who don'thave lots of money like you do. There is absolutly nothing wrong with someone trying to make some money on parts they have to recoup their losses or to be able to buy some other parts they need. When I do get another an a-body, unless I hit the powerball in the meantime, I will be selling parts on here like I did before. That is how I am able to pay for this hobby.

I also don't have a problem helping those out who need it. There is a kid here local who has a 4 door 73 Dart. When I was parting out the 73 Swinger, I let him have pick everything from the car he wanted. He said that he had next to no money but was trying to get his car running. I gave him well over $200 ( at FABO price, not gouged prices ) of parts for $30 because I knew what it was like to be in that situtaion. However, when someone pulls up in a brand new diesel, and starts telling me that I don't know my stuff because I'm too young, you can be guaranteed that, if I sell to them at all, it will not be at a discounted price.

People need to understand that the seller can do whatever the f*** they want to with their parts. They are there parts. You may not agree with them, but o well, they are not your parts.

IF I CONSIDERED YOU MY FRIEND ON HERE- I WOULD ABSOLUTELY SELL IT FOR WHAT I HAVE IN IT!
Their are members on here who can attest to that.
If I bought that motor, it would be because I need it. If I didn't, I'd let you all know where to find it. Money, I have lots of, honor, well I try to earn that everday.
I forgive you for calling me a liar, this is a cynical world we live in.

I said your either a liar or stupid. If your not a liar so be it.

It never ceases to amaze me,These threads seem to come out regularly.Always someone complaining about someone making money on parts.Well I have been doing this since I was 9 and I am 54 now.I have built a bunch of cars and trucks.Noone complains if THEY make money on their endeavors,but if their counterparts make more than them-Well that's just not right.Go ahead and throw out all the cards-religeon,ethics-logic-whinning-crying,Who cares? Joe,you are correct,I have heard all the excuses-and lies to get a lower price.I have had people try to use sex,blackmail,sabotage,etc.Nothing surprises me anymore.It is what it is! and it is worth what someone will pay for it!GOOD GRIEF!

It is what it is! and it is worth what someone will pay for it!GOOD GRIEF!

Exactly! :cheers: I don't think people are getting this point. I'm not arguing for or against people who seem to only be here to sell, that is another point. I'm arguing that the price is ultimatley determined by the buyer and what they are willing to pay.

I think the bottom line here is:
If they are your parts or cars, then sell them for what you want to, whether it's for profit, what you have into it, fair market value, whatever.
The only thing i hate is the people that try to work on your sympathies or good nature to give them a deal, (I'm going to fix this car up and keep it forever blah blah blah) and then end up selling for a huge profit in a few months saying "I had to sell it, i needed the money!" (or whatever excuse) My older brother did that to me in the past of all people.
I think that it's up to you, the seller to be comfortable with your deals and never look back, and as a buyer, only pay what you think it's worth.
If you are a flipper, more power to you. It takes a lot of work to do it successfully.
I just hate the lying about it that's all.
Other than that, it's really nobody's business what you buy and sell your parts and cars for.
For the record, i am a christian, but that aspect of my life is never considered when dealing in cars and parts. Buisness is business.
Even a church has to be run like a business, or it will close it's doors.
I've gotten good deals, bad deals, it all has come out even for me in the long run.
What comes around, goes around in buisness. If you deal fairly, you will be respected. If you choose to deal unfaifly, it will come back to haunt you.
Just my 2 cents.
Tom.

OHHH .... After I read the title of this thread I knew there would be some anamosity ! As has been said already these kinds of threads pop up a few times a year. I really hate to even respond on such threads as this.
I guess that the only thing I will add is this. I am a first class scrounger. A lot of my parts that I sell I worked my butt off to get. My time is worth something and I am happy to do it and provide pretty decent used "recycled" parts at a fair price. I sometimes go to great lengths to access, get, or procure a quality used part. I will make money on it. However, the consumer also recieves a fair deal and a quality part. I wont sell junk parts. I might collect them, but I give them away. That being said I am also not a parts flipper to a extent. I wont buy a part on here and turn the sale back around to make a buck. You just dont crap where ya nap. I only sale on Joeys sites. I dont go to Moparts or anywhere else. No reason to. All the good people are here. I DO NOT do E-bag. So you all get the best deals on the best parts I have. This is a huge hobby of mine that has almost turned into a business. I have made loads of friends along the way that know they are getting a fair/good price for what they are getting. I wont reitterate all that has been said about.... who cares who pays what for a part... if the buyer and seller are happy..no harm no foul. I also belive that what comes around goes around. So keep a good reputation by having a good reputation. Its just that simple. And "No" You cant have my free 340 block for 50 bucks. Side note: I am a die hard Mopar enthusiest as many of you know, and am dedicated to preserving the breed. Thats why I do... what I do.
Now lets all just get along... ;)

-RPM

-
Back