Passon 5 Speed

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just got the :burnout:latest Mopar Action.There's an article on the new Passon 5 speed tranny. The trans is completely torn down,analyzed and showcases the improvements over the A- 833. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Just got the :burnout:latest Mopar Action.There's an article on the new Passon 5 speed tranny. The trans is completely torn down,analyzed and showcases the improvements over the A- 833. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

I'm with you and FYI, I'm on Jamie's list! no, not that list, the list to get one!

I need to get on that list... I thought I saw a post by Jamie that said it would go for around $1800.... Either of you have any more info on price?

I don't think that's right on the price. His set of OD gears for the regular 833 costs that much. I seem to recall reading an estimated price somewhere but can't remember what it was but it was a lot more than that. I went to the website a few days ago looking for info on the trans & found nothing there.

I heard 4300. Requires 18 spline disc, but other than that, a straight bolt in a current 4 speed 23 spline.

If this unit performs as advertised, it could be the single best bolt in part made for A bodies, hands down.

I heard 4300. Requires 18 spline disc, but other than that, a straight bolt in a current 4 speed 23 spline.

If this unit performs as advertised, it could be the single best bolt in part made for A bodies, hands down.

agreed........ all be it a little pricey, but you are correct about being the best bolt in part..... :drinkers:

Closer to $4,500.

Thanks scuba, I knew that price was too good to be true... Maybe I was thinking of the price someone threw out there for the Mcleod unit that went under.... I drive my 66 every day and I REALLY need that OD, but I can't swing that... Bolt in or not. Jamie is good people and I am sure he is keeping it as low as he can, but the average joe either can't or won't spend that IMO.

Not to derail too much, but has anyone heard any news on the Keisler round top bolt in unit in development? I just saw the ad for the it other day and figured it might be another possible option for a straight drop in with no tunnel modifying, though it may require a different clutch or bellhousing setup.

I'm a regular Joe and I "will" spend the money on the Passon tranny. Just got on the list to get one. Just don't particularly care for the internal rail shifting. I'm old school. Hopefully I can get one at the Nats at a discount!

Not to derail too much, but has anyone heard any news on the Keisler round top bolt in unit in development? I just saw the ad for the it other day and figured it might be another possible option for a straight drop in with no tunnel modifying, though it may require a different clutch or bellhousing setup.

I think the B body is bolt -in..... a body needs some cutting? not sure about the A-bodies... anyone?

From what I saw on the ad I think the A body was still in development being tweaked so that it didn't need any changes. Either that or I'm just looking at an old ad. It's actually on the right hand side of the page here, the RS-5 5 speed, says coming soon for A body.

Keisler's site says "fits your 1964-1966 abodies " when you get into the details on the individual trannys

I'm a regular Joe and I "will" spend the money on the Passon tranny. Just got on the list to get one. Just don't particularly care for the internal rail shifting. I'm old school. Hopefully I can get one at the Nats at a discount!

And I don't blame you one bit srduster340, for me though it will basically double what I have in my little Valiant... :shock: so I have to think pretty hard about it... So let me get this straight, this thing has the internal rails but still NO cutting involved? Can't wait to hear the comments on how well this thing shifts! Hope Passon cuts a nice discount for a show price for you... When are these things hitting the streets?

And I don't blame you one bit srduster340, for me though it will basically double what I have in my little Valiant... :shock: so I have to think pretty hard about it... So let me get this straight, this thing has the internal rails but still NO cutting involved? Can't wait to hear the comments on how well this thing shifts! Hope Passon cuts a nice discount for a show price for you... When are these things hitting the streets?

I think the 2 different transmissions we're talking about are being confused now. I read that the Passon trans would (although I don't yet understand how) use the stock shifter. Maybe the reverse arm is used to also shift the 5th gear?

I think the internal rail shifter being discussed is the round top Keisler unit.

IMO, this is a good deal. Here's a comparison to give you an idea...

Passon 5-speed with shifter and linkage (accepts your current shifter handle) $4295.00

Brewer's 18 spline rebuilt trans is $1,995.00; Shifter and linkage (no shifter handle) $449.95; total: $2444.95 Price difference is $1850.05

If you take into consideration that now you won't need to maintain and swap between two sets of gears for your 8 3/4, that difference in price is even less. It's $500-$750 for additional gear set (if your lucky) plus you can sell you current 4-speed ($250 - $1000, depending on condition). Now the cost of the additional gear and a "new" trans is only ~$100 to $1100!

And the best part...AMERICAN MADE BABY!

is it an aluminium case?...that adds big value ....Jamie is tops w/me too...hope it shifts like a 833 and not a Keisler....can't wait to hear from someone that has beat on one.

think I'll put one in my Duster...not the silver,but the gold one...only after you guys get the bugs out and the waiting list gets shorter...think you fellers can make that happen by next spring??

There is going to be a lot of used 4 speeds for sale when this trans comes out.

I guess i'll just make a little more room on the shelf.....I'm done sellin' stuff..when I need it later..seems I always have to give blood for it

Check the new Mopar Action mag. There's a full tear down article of the Passon tranny in it. I was referring to the internal rail shifting of the Tremec units I don't care for. The Passon unit mimics the Mopar 833 with serious upgrades in longevity and durability. It's an aluminum case rated at 650ft;lbs. The gears are 27% wider with tapered bearings throughout the trans. It will fit an A-body with no body/frame mods. In the article they show the new trans beside an old 833 & you can see how it will fit. I'm foaming at the mouth right now!!!!!!!! I can't wait!:burnout:

-
Back