paying a sellers paypal fees

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

kdsmith07

Reaction score
don't know when this started but more and more sellers are doing it.it's just not right.i will not ask a buyer of my parts to pay MY fee.i pay that fee for the convenience of instant payment and a secure transaction.people complain about ebay fees.how is this different?i buy a part,pay for shipping then have to pay his fee?not right.i got pp so not to have to do money orders.this is just my opinion of course but i won't buy another part,good deal or not if this stipulation is in the ad.but that's just me.thanks for giving me a place to vent.rant over.

Paypal has its own set of rules....when you convert currency its usually at a loss, plus fees to deposit into my bank acct. Yes I ask any buyers to mark as "gift" to cover the fees, or to add a few bucks to cover the fees. But when I buy anything, I also mark as gift, so there is give and take at both ends. Just my opinion, but I dont see it as a big deal and if you dont want to mark as "gift" add a few $$ to cover the fees. I have never had an issue as a seller and nobody squawk about marking my payment as gift

Hell with that. I make the buyer pay the fees. I'm not taking less for my item. Either pay me cash or you pay the pay pal fees. I'm not waiting around a week to get payment via money order or whatever. You want it you'll pay the fee. 90% of the time the buyer has already talked ya down some so the small fee shouldn't be a problem..

here's my .02... you are the seller/ buyer have 2 options
if buying/paying what the asking price is, then there is no reason for the fee.
if you are buying and beat seller down farther than he is asking, expect to pay fee or don't buy.
if i own a wheel for 100 and i ask 110 i covered the fee. if you want to beat me down to pay the 100 you pay the paypal fee or send a money order (which the post office charges a fee anyways).

Then run to the PO, spend the fuel and time, pay the 1.50 for a money order and send it to me...

Most people that sell on here and other places are not businesses. Paypal takes the fee and wants NOTHING to do with any of the risk.

Here's a concept and most on here know me from purchases I make... I usually OFFER to pay the fee if using paypal because it's a CONVENIENCE for me AND I still get the protection if something goes wrong... WIN-WIN for me. :)

Guess it's all how you look at it!

The gift loophole is still there.

I just purchased parts from a member here and gave him extra to cover the fees and he didnt ask for it. I figured whats a few extra bucks. On the other side of the coin I had a seller ask for more money after the deal because shipping was more than he quoted. Well thats not my problem and I didnt give him more.

if you mark as gift and seller sticks it to you you have no recourse with pay pal
dont pay by gift !

You wont have a recourse either way. I have heard only horror stories about getting "refunds" from PP. If you have issues about buying from me or any other member on here, do your research on them. You would only do the same if it was ebay....

I don't mind paying the fee. It's better than a money order and checks...I've never written checks.
I will just bump the paid amount instead of gifting it, from now on.

When dealing with paypal, you MUST have an ace up your sleeve in most cases where they might be out some money.

I always use a credit card, PERIOD. Only time I don't is when I know the person VERY well and trust them. If you pay using a CC, the magic words if you get on the phone with an agent is, "I think I'll do a charge back with my CC company".... It then becomes a "How can I help you resolve this...." from the agents. They, paypal, don't want the charge back fees

Here is what I do. I sell and item for what I will take for it and I charge only what the post office charges. Dealing with the cost of getting it wrapped and taking it to the post office is charging me. PayPal charges me fees on the shipping too. Either the buyer pays the PayPal fees or I raise the price on my item and shipping costs to cover the fees. Either way the buyer covers the fees. If I am paying the fees then I have to go to the high side to cover the additional fees.

Example 1. I sell an item at $100.00 rock bottom price and it takes $20.00 to ship. The seller pays the PayPal fees $3.95 for a total of $123.95. I get my $100.00 rock bottom price.

Example 2. Because of PayPal fees now I have to get $103.50 rock bottom price to break cover my rock bottom price and the PayPal fees for the item. Since $103.50 sounds stupid now my rock bottom price is $105.00 plus the $20.00 shipping which costs me an additional 60 cents. Now the grand total has gone up to $125.00 and the PayPal fees are $4.10.

Now the buyer will pay another $1.05 plus the $3.95 because either way the costs are being passed on to the buyer. I offer for the buyer to pay the fees so I can save them money.

If you don't think sellers inflate their price on eBay to cover the fees you better think again. For the common seller the fees for car parts end up around 12% when it is said and done. There are breaks for what used to be called power sellers but they have minimums they have to sell to get them.

That and I heard that they closed that gift look hole..

I tried to pay for an item using the "gift" feature months ago. During the payment process, PayPal asked me to select who pays the fees (me or the receipient).

I also tried to do this again weeks later on another item and was not asked to specify.

When dealing with paypal, you MUST have an ace up your sleeve in most cases where they might be out some money.

I always use a credit card, PERIOD. Only time I don't is when I know the person VERY well and trust them. If you pay using a CC, the magic words if you get on the phone with an agent is, "I think I'll do a charge back with my CC company".... It then becomes a "How can I help you resolve this...." from the agents. They, paypal, don't want the charge back fees
X2 i always use the creditcard and had to use that line more than once. luckily only on ebag though.

Paying for the convenience. Could always burn up a some fuel running to the PO, stand in line pay the postage and wait......and hope that the Post Office does not lose/destroy your payment.....this coming from a retired Postal employee....

I always cover the fee even if not asked to, why should the seller take less for an item that I want. And he still has to take the time to go and ship it.

I should add that I only do that on here.

Ebay is a whole different animal.

I've routinely added 5 bucks or so to a sale so the seller does not have to foot at least all the bill.

On the other hand, many ebay sellers DO charge exhorbitant "handling" fees

For me, it's "give and take." I want what you have, you want to sell it.

When I'm selling my stuff, I consider PayPal fees part of doing business and appreciate what it buys me in the way of speed and convienence and getting paid within seconds as opposed to days or weeks. They even deposit the money in my bank account for god's sake. Also, there's nothing better than NOT having to deal with the old "the check is in the mail" gag that some guys use to hold your parts while they continue shopping for a better deal than the one they had with you. Meanwhile, you're losing sales to other guys who will pay instantly because you're waiting for a check/mo that may never come (damhik).

I guess my selling philosophy is to get as many guys as possible to consider buying my stuff and making sure I don't alienate anyone because I force them to pay more than the cost & shipping charges.

When I'm looking to buy and I see "buyer pays Paypal fees" in a for sale ad, I bypass the item. Same goes for "packaging" and "handling" fees.

I once paid $5 for a part for my Stealth- the seller didn't ask me to pay this paypal fees. Then when I got it I saw he had paid over $8 on postage, which he never asked for. I sent him some more money without him asking.

I guess it comes down, per transaction, to whether the seller is 'helping you out' or 'making money'.

I have to try and remeber to tell buyers, "Please dont mark payment as a gift. If you do I wont get your mailing address."
When buying I always offer to kick in extra to cover the fees.
If my survival was hinged on a few coins....
I would be long gone already LOL

I have no problem if that's the terms of the deal..included in the ad or sale...not afterwards

Sellers should say right up front if they want extra fees for shipping and pay/pal. I just sold something and the man paid me extra for my trouble I was quite surprised.

You wont have a recourse either way. I have heard only horror stories about getting "refunds" from PP. If you have issues about buying from me or any other member on here, do your research on them. You would only do the same if it was ebay....

I bought a item on ebay and before it shipped the seller passed away and his son wanted more money i filed with pay pay and got a full refund in two weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back