People knitpicking your car.

-
Man this is a "Hot Topic!" LOL

Looks like we all have had our share.

I didn't have my cuda in the yard 30 minutes and my neighbor comes walking up from his house. He as a 90 something Ford Thunderturd with a super charger, computer tuned, audio system, Fagnaflows, etc... He starts pointing out everything that is wrong with the car not even looking at the positive points of the car. Like for instance the trunk hinges wasn't painted all the way he says "What you gonna do about that?". I say "Man I just got the car a little over a hour ago..... I've got tons of stuff I've got to do!" He shut his trap after that. Ever since that day I have held a resentment or something towards that SOB! I tell my friends what I just shared and they get pissed and they don't even know the guy! LOL

I gotta a funny story about the "Thunderturd." Everyone remembers Dukes of Hazard. I got my fried to go do "Dukes of Hazard" in his car, the "Thunderturd" and man it was fun. He cracked his radiator. So funny. I wasn't making fun of the word Thunderturd either. I just think that is a clever word.

Had a guy approach me tonite and tell me he had a 69 Olds 442 and asked me mine was a 69?I said no.He asked me if it was a 68? I said no.After that he didn't know what to say because he thought there were only 2 years of Barracuda. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!!!!!!:angry7:

You know whats worst? When people look at the Duster and ask What year is the rustang? Damn that pisses me off. Cant you read? It says gold duster on the side geezz.

I made up a sign that has the "Philosophy of a Car Enthusiast" on top, then a pic of my car in the middle, then below is the "Restored Doesn't mean Perfect" below. I tried to post it but it's too big.

Had one the other day tell me he had a 73 Duster like mine but his had a 454 and Hurst 4 speed from the factory, I ask him where it was and he started walking off , I said what ever, Dumbass

Have someone heard of a 440 hemi ? Some people around here claim that a relative bought a brand new ford with that exact engine. Yeah, godamn right.

I get guys at the track telling me..this isn,t a show and shine..I just tell them in a laughing way..I haven,t even washed it yet this year!Then proceed to run it down the track.

I have to agree with ya'..i've had guys say "thats too pretty to race" then proceed to click off some 11 second runs,and listen to how the hell he'd do that with his "street" car..when i can't get my race car to run that fast..:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:....priceless!!!!..for the original ???..thats why i don't do car shows anymore got sick of hearing the crap,rather spend the day at the track beating the crap out of it,then sitting there trying to keep everyones kid away from it..

Ya don't have to go to a car show for this crap.

Just post a car for sale here and watch all your "friends" go to town.

i dont know how i will respond to people who dont like the wagon or ask stupid questions. i guess we will find out soon enough. im going to take it to the local car show friday night. i have already had one person ask me if it was a nova. grrr.

Hey, your motor mount is broken. It's leaning over to one side!!!!

Met a cool dude this saturday with a mustang that looks like the eleanor car in front but is not a fastback.
He said guys rag him all the time about the car.

He looked my car over for about and hour asking questions about how I did this and how I did that because he is building a 67 dart with a crate hemi and liked what I did to my barracuda.
I looked at his mustang later and thought it was a very sweet looking ride inside and out.
We actually exchanged phone numbers and I gave him a few of my mOpar friends number's that he could get some parts from and maybe have them do some fab work for him.
There is usually one guy like that at every show that you can meet and most likely become good friends with in the future.

I like to go up to the unfinished cars and the ugly project cars to look them over and compliment those guys on their ride.
Most of the time they look bored as hell because everyone is passing them up for the high dollar trophy cars, and they are usually happy as all get out that someone actually likes their car.
Also they are usually the nicest people at the whole show for some reason.

I don't care if the car is ugly as hell, I will make sure I say something nice about their car to try to make them feel good about what they have.
Maybe they will come back or be inspired to do some more work to it.

Try this....

I tell them "Oh this is my driver, I have a new Vette, a restored Mach 1 Mustang, a 32 Coupe and an original hemi Cuda at home. If i'm really going for it I tell them I have a cabin with four car garage upstate on 40 acres and pull my boats with my dually...and keep going, they feel bad about themselves quick when they think you have so much they can only dream about...LOL

He thought there were only 2 years of barracudas,but remember he owned an Olds,lol:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Hey now, my uncle owned an Olds but still wasn't that big of an idiot, haha.

Yeah the thumbs up, and people yelling cool car, make it good. I just had to vent about the ones who find things wrong. This one guy in particular, he has Mopars, he says he avoids the hangouts for the same reason. After running into him a couple times, he started on my car himself...Duhhh...

My neighbour came over the day. He knows a bit about Mopars, so he's not too bad. He mentioned how he would use a flat hood on my car (it has scoops). I told him I can't use one. He looked at me dumbfounded when I said I couldn't close the hood. He asked why?

So after a few seconds I opened the hood, and he saw the sixpack, his eyes opened wide gawking at it. He said he had to go, and have a nice day.:-D

The thing is most of the people say if I had this or that I'd....do this or that.lol.

@homecloned "Just let it go. At the end of the day you get to drive it home while those guys probably showed up in some mini van". :toothy10: So true.

Just look at it this way, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one".

Met a cool dude this saturday with a mustang that looks like the eleanor car in front but is not a fastback.
He said guys rag him all the time about the car.

He looked my car over for about and hour asking questions about how I did this and how I did that because he is building a 67 dart with a crate hemi and liked what I did to my barracuda.
I looked at his mustang later and thought it was a very sweet looking ride inside and out.
We actually exchanged phone numbers and I gave him a few of my mOpar friends number's that he could get some parts from and maybe have them do some fab work for him.
There is usually one guy like that at every show that you can meet and most likely become good friends with in the future.

I like to go up to the unfinished cars and the ugly project cars to look them over and compliment those guys on their ride.
Most of the time they look bored as hell because everyone is passing them up for the high dollar trophy cars, and they are usually happy as all get out that someone actually likes their car.
Also they are usually the nicest people at the whole show for some reason.

I don't care if the car is ugly as hell, I will make sure I say something nice about their car to try to make them feel good about what they have.
Maybe they will come back or be inspired to do some more work to it.

That's how I try to be... it takes some effort to get to car shows... paying for gas is one of the them.

Ya don't have to go to a car show for this crap.

Just post a car for sale here and watch all your "friends" go to town.

Man isn't that the truth. I've ran my mouth before so I'm no angel. That's back when I hadn't been here for a long period of time.

I wouldn't try to sell my car on here because I would get a resentment very quickly.:-D

I made it through about 3 pages. I guess I'm old school and times have changed. If you go to a car show you get what you get. If you open your hood, you're inviting it. I've owned muscle cars my entire driving life, and in the '70's, that is what you did. I was cool with my car club, and I gave the Poncho crowd the benefit of the doubt, but anything else was fair game. Cruising was "put up or shut up" and if you didn't like people picking on your car... hike up your skirt and go home. As for confrontation...are you kidding me... I've seen plenty of that. I actually had a guy flick the ashes off his cigarette into the hood scoop of my Judge. Guys had padlocks in ther hood pins, or chains welded to inside of their hoods that chained the hood down. NO ONE saw the engine compartment, and if you got called out...you got called out. Where do you think the term "sleeper" came from? Pry open the wallet and pay to play. If you got a mini van, you're F'ed. Anyone who sounded complimentary would be shown the MOST IMPORTANT OPTION OF ALL, the cooler of beer in the trunk, and he'd be offered one. There was plenty of ego wrapped up in those cars, but we weren't out there for a love in.
Ahhh...good times.

I made it through about 3 pages. I guess I'm old school and times have changed. If you go to a car show you get what you get. If you open your hood, you're inviting it. I've owned muscle cars my entire driving life, and in the '70's, that is what you did. I was cool with my car club, and I gave the Poncho crowd the benefit of the doubt, but anything else was fair game. Cruising was "put up or shut up" and if you didn't like people picking on your car... hike up your skirt and go home. As for confrontation...are you kidding me... I've seen plenty of that. I actually had a guy flick the ashes off his cigarette into the hood scoop of my Judge. Guys had padlocks in ther hood pins, or chains welded to inside of their hoods that chained the hood down. NO ONE saw the engine compartment, and if you got called out...you got called out. Where do you think the term "sleeper" came from? Pry open the wallet and pay to play. If you got a mini van, you're F'ed. Anyone who sounded complimentary would be shown the MOST IMPORTANT OPTION OF ALL, the cooler of beer in the trunk, and he'd be offered one. There was plenty of ego wrapped up in those cars, but we weren't out there for a love in.
Ahhh...good times.

Man,please PLEASE tell me you levelled that prick who done
that to your judge!? wtf!

An i forgot who wrote it in this thread,
"We told them to kick rocks before we run out of beer and need something to pound."
Thats hilarious lol!

An ive noticed when people sell cars here they cop alot
of critisism. It saddens me when i see someone selling a real
nice car, im like hang onto it!!

i think i,ll put out a tip jar and a sign that says the more you tip the more i,ll care about your criticism. Put your money where your mouth is.

I dont get too hung up on it. For better or worse it goes hand in hand with people's interest in cars to comment on this or that (whether the person commenting is knowledgeable on the subject or not), and as long as it's respectful observation or comment they can have their views and I can have my car as I want it. After all, most of us will happliy accept a compliment on something custom we've done on our cars, so why care that sometimes others will not be overly enthused about our departures from dead stock? Ying and yang, I suppose.

Agree.........

I usually get the opposite. I guess I am my best-worst critique. Everyone tells me how much they like my car and I start out with what needs to be finished. Of course I've never been to a big time car show. Just local shows and cruises. I think if someone gave me crap about my car I would just laugh at them.
I've had such a great time building my car and learning that it just doesn't matter.

:) :) Yep same damn thing here!! I towel off the drool first, then start in on what the guy before my F^c#*d up and had to be re-done. Then its off on how poorly these peices of crap handle-how bad the factory brakes were-how bad the re-pop parts are sometimes- how much faster the ZO6's, and Shelby GT500's are than classic musclecars etc...

63 Dartman got it right: "I've had such a great time building my car and learning that it just doesn't matter."

I have been playing with this stuff for darned near 40 years. Trust me, the people who nitpick wouldn't know a lug nut from a sloane valve.

My personal favorites are the ones who look your car over from fender extension to quarter panel extension, and then proceed to go on for hours about their wife's uncle's brother's neighbor's cousin's Chevy Monza that came with vinyl seats that looked JUST LIKE imitation leather! Arrrgh!

I have had people tell me ... They never made a car that color, or I heard a lady tell her kids .. He just put those emblems on there because he thinks his car is mean.

The best one was when a fellow said he bought one like mine but it was a 1970, I smiled and let him tell me all about it, after a while I couldnt stand it anymore and told him he had a 1971 ..... NOOOO he said it was a 1970, he said he bought it new.... I said they didnt make a Demon in 1970, and of course he said yes they did,.....I just smiled as his wife asked what month he bought it.. and he said later in the year and she explained to him that he bought in 1970 for the 1971 year. He stood there like he was slaped in the face... then she looked at me and just smiled as they walked on.

The one that got to me was that the stripes were painted on when I first bought the car,,, and the first time at the Nationals in Indy I saw some guys pointing at the stripes and shaking there heads. ...... I fixed that the next spring .. had to have the whole car painted but it was worth it. now I just need to get the hood stripes correct....never done.

i just smile contently, and tell them ...your village just called...and they want their idiot back...:bootysha:

had a chevy guy ask me in a recent show if my Duster had a 273 in it...(he has a 70 SS 396 4 speed chevelle) I was actually impressed that he even knew what a 273 was...but then insulted too...not that there is anything wrong with a 273...One is in my 66 cuda...but dang man...thats just wrong!

It always amazes me when people ask we "what's in it?" and there is showboard with details AND 340 on the side of the car. Oh well....

-
Back