People knitpicking your car.

-

Woodys_Cuda

Ontario, Canada
Reaction score
I think we've all run into it. Park your car somewhere, people come over and look at it. Then it starts, is this original, is that correct?

I avoid the car hangouts because mine is not top show quality. Funny thing is I've told people straight out, it's not perfect, and i hate knitpicking. They eventually always come up with something anyway..lol.

I bought it to drive it, not put it in a museum, or take it out twice a year. I do let it get dirty sometimes 8)

Non cruise night people are the coolest, and most appreciative of it. I do run into lots of people that used to have one like it..:-D

Gunna get a sign made that says, "No, it's not perfect. No, that's not factory. And no, I don't give a crap."

Dont worry... happens to everyone. Even me and my dad get it with the roadrunner. Everything on that car is factory or factory appearing except for the wheels and the exhaust. People still try to tell us that things didnt come on our car! That's what happens when everyone is an expert. And you know... our car is one of less than 250 the way its built, but it's amazing how everyone and their mother has had or known someone that has had "one just like that". I think by now we should know who owned every one of them :p

I think our last little "argument" was on whether the white stripes running down the side were factory. They were optional... and they came on my dads car originally. This guy didn't seem to get that.

When they ask me about something on my car, I just respond "what do you think" and then I promptly tell them I don't give a s**t any way. I then ask them where there car is so I can go pick it apart.

I mostly tell'em point blank and blunty...

F%^&K Off and if you don't like what you see, then F%^k off and go away. And yes, there nit pickinh is very similar to a decleration of war and escalating it all is fine by me. I have no problem with it.

Had a guy approach me tonite and tell me he had a 69 Olds 442 and asked me mine was a 69?I said no.He asked me if it was a 68? I said no.After that he didn't know what to say because he thought there were only 2 years of Barracuda. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!!!!!!:angry7:

Did he think it an Olds? or just that there were only 2 years of old Cudas.

I like the sign idea already..Makes it easier. There's a few of us that ignore the car hangouts. It seems they are the worst. Thankfully the good people more than make up for the jerks. I always compliment other old cars, and give them respect. The f*ck off routine would've be okay a few years ago before I f*cked up my right shoulder/arm. Need to back them words up.:-D

The ones that get me are the ones that tell me what I should do with the car,
or tell me what they would do with it if they had it.
Most of these people dont have squat, but they have infinite wisdom..lol

You know i dont mind the guys that make mistakes or ask questions as long as they take our answers seriously and learn something from it. Or like a younger kid my age that screws up and I have to correct him. If he wants to learn thats great. It's just the ignorant people that think they are right that get on my nerves.

I try to be nice and let them say what they want, then I point out all the flaws that they missed.
Or I make something up like my five Daughters built this car for their highschool shop project and they usually shut right the hell up.LOL.

i dont know how i will respond to people who dont like the wagon or ask stupid questions. i guess we will find out soon enough. im going to take it to the local car show friday night. i have already had one person ask me if it was a nova. grrr.

I dont get too hung up on it. For better or worse it goes hand in hand with people's interest in cars to comment on this or that (whether the person commenting is knowledgeable on the subject or not), and as long as it's respectful observation or comment they can have their views and I can have my car as I want it. After all, most of us will happliy accept a compliment on something custom we've done on our cars, so why care that sometimes others will not be overly enthused about our departures from dead stock? Ying and yang, I suppose.

You know just paint it primer gray. I used to take my car down to the neighborhood car show and I swear the only people that would come to talk to me were the only ones that knew something about it. Its funny but they always get the year wrong. I always watch the pretty girls walk by without a glance though, that part makes me sad. I've figured out that people really only like stuff that is shiny (except for us mopar folk.)

You know just paint it primer gray. I used to take my car down to the neighborhood car show and I swear the only people that would come to talk to me were the only ones that knew something about it. Its funny but they always get the year wrong. I always watch the pretty girls walk by without a glance though, that part makes me sad. I've figured out that people really only like stuff that is shiny (except for us mopar folk.)

Chicks dig primered cars, you just have to sit there like Al Bundy with one hand in your pants and they will come talk to you for sure. LOL.

Man, gotta teach you kids everything.

Chicks dig primered cars, you just have to sit there like Al Bundy with one hand in your pants and they will come talk to you for sure. LOL.

Man, gotta teach you kids everything.

lol a year from now i will be starting my project... but I dont think chicks will like it. A nostalgia inspired street/strip car? Aluminum door panels, no radio, no heater, and no back seat? I dont think they'll appreciate that much, rofl.

I just walk away, no vulgar response, no confrontation. I choose not to occupy the same airspace. They just don't matter in my life.

I get a big kick out of people . My 73 dart sport has a 440 and a tunnel ram sticking strait through the hood . the exhaust going strait through the fender wells , but people still make comments like " is this car #'s matching " . I just want to tell them "here's your sign". The people that piss me off are the ones that follow you around and won't leave you alone because they want you to race them , and they try to pick a fight because I won't race on the street.

I get guys at the track telling me..this isn,t a show and shine..I just tell them in a laughing way..I haven,t even washed it yet this year!Then proceed to run it down the track.

I usually get the opposite. I guess I am my best-worst critique. Everyone tells me how much they like my car and I start out with what needs to be finished. Of course I've never been to a big time car show. Just local shows and cruises. I think if someone gave me crap about my car I would just laugh at them.
I've had such a great time building my car and learning that it just doesn't matter.

Just let it go. At the end of the day you get to drive it home while those guys probably showed up in some mini van. :toothy10:

The ones that get me are the ones that tell me what I should do with the car,
or tell me what they would do with it if they had it.
Most of these people dont have squat, but they have infinite wisdom..lol

I haven't heard it in years, since I haven't driven it in years, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard the same idiots tell me "if they owned" my '69 they'd pull the 383 and put it in a 2 door and clone a Road Runner. Or how many times my Pop has had his '54 Ford out and someone comes along and says they'd drop in a 460. They all get the same response: we shake our heads, roll our eyes, and walk away.

In my case,its a bit of both worlds.I have some say what a niece caddy it is,only off by a few letters,or my dad had one of these or my uncle,and we would drive it on vacation and would have 4-6 kids in the back seat.Alot say how clear and niece it is,ask questions,and are generally good.I think that every one gets that 1 in 100 A/hole that had a muscle car and now knows every thing about the muscle car world,and wants to prove it.You have to take the good with the bad and help them if they are not so up to date.We are into our cars 150%,the rest of the world,not so much.Its up to the owner to teach them about the car and its features and strong pionts,and to encourage them to buy old cars and restore them.Mrmopartech

Yeah the thumbs up, and people yelling cool car, make it good. I just had to vent about the ones who find things wrong. This one guy in particular, he has Mopars, he says he avoids the hangouts for the same reason. After running into him a couple times, he started on my car himself...Duhhh...

My neighbour came over the day. He knows a bit about Mopars, so he's not too bad. He mentioned how he would use a flat hood on my car (it has scoops). I told him I can't use one. He looked at me dumbfounded when I said I couldn't close the hood. He asked why?

So after a few seconds I opened the hood, and he saw the sixpack, his eyes opened wide gawking at it. He said he had to go, and have a nice day.:-D

The thing is most of the people say if I had this or that I'd....do this or that.lol.

@homecloned "Just let it go. At the end of the day you get to drive it home while those guys probably showed up in some mini van". :toothy10: So true.

I'm my own worst critic with my GSS. I also don't go to many shows with my car. I drive it when I can. Not that there are many GSS cars to compare to but the ones that are around are a lot nicer than mine (Bill Sefton's collection). I figure if anyone does nitpick, I'll tell them when my girls are all grown up and I'm done taking them out for icecream and letting them learn to drive this thing, then maybe I will restore it (I let my 4 year old daughter steer it around the neighborhood).

-
Back