People knitpicking your car.

-
don't see the big deal. who cares. you put your car out there so some will pick it apart and some will love it. i don't sweat it either way.

I don't really feel threatened by people's critiques. I like it, that's all that matters. Seems like Mopar guys are the biggest PITA about it though.

I could give a crap about "correctness".

I can appreciate the work, dedication, resolve etc. when I see a concourse car even if I'd never build a car that way. But I don't tell people how they're wasting their time restoring a car to original specs.

My sign says, "Yes, my numbers match: 11.50 @ 118"

LOL!

You know just paint it primer gray. I used to take my car down to the neighborhood car show and I swear the only people that would come to talk to me were the only ones that knew something about it. Its funny but they always get the year wrong. I always watch the pretty girls walk by without a glance though, that part makes me sad. I've figured out that people really only like stuff that is shiny (except for us mopar folk.)

Funny, I finally drove my '72 Duster Saturday. Primer gray, beat up rusty bumpers and all, and some guy had to stop and give a thumbs up and was staring at it... My wife was following me in my truck and she was dumbfounded that he thought it was so cool... She can't see what it "could be" when it's finished, guess it's a good thing I don't care what she thinks... :)

I actually get a kick about the folks that "had" a certain car...that in reality never existed.(I.E. hemi 6 packs, 68 427 novas, 69 D darts, etc) I call them out in front of people sometimes to make them realize they need to just speak truth instead of fabricating some story.

I had one guy tell me to change all my AN fittings to ones that diesel trucks use since "my" AN fittings weren't rated very high....and this was the fuel line! When I schooled him on PSI ratings and the fact that they use AN fittings for brake lines that can hit 1500+ PSI, he was speechless and walked away.

I let 'em nitpik. Sometimes someone comes up with something I want to change and they have a decent (interesting, possible, cost-effective) idea.

If someone wants to be obnoxious on the correctness, I just say. "The goal was not a concours quality restoration, just a driver I could enjoy. I've done a concours restoration, not many fully appreciated what went into it. Have you ever tried to do one?"

At that point, they usually either leave or enter into a more polite conversation.

It's hard to believe how many people that have told me they had a brand new 440 Duster. I went through all that work building my own.

I don't get to many nitpickers with my Dart but then it is obviously a work in progress. I usualy find people to be very polite. But then again I try not to get all bent out of shape so easely. The question I get asked the most is. "Is it a real 340 car?" or "is it an origanal 4 speed car?" and that does not bother me at all. I love to tell them yes it is.

People that nit pick originality need to first become real judges at car shows before they start running they're mouths.jmo

My fav was when in fresno at a blackstone meet these 2 santa clauses came over and asked if our 68 fury 3 had a hemi, we said no it's a factory commando 383 car, they laughed and said 'they didn't sell 68 fury 3's with a commando 383', so my buddy pulls out the build sheet and shows them the tag and say's to them 'oh yeah? wanna race'?, they said 'race'?, uhh no'

We told them to kick rocks before we run out of beer and need something to pound.

On the back of mine I cut vinyl lettering that says: As Cheeto says "It's not perfect, It's not correct, It's not yours." Cheeto is the king of lowering older Dodge trucks. This is his signature over at Ramchargercentral. I asked him if I could use it as it is how I feel and he said sure as long as I gave him credit for it.

mine is not top show quality...I've told people straight out, it's not perfect...I bought it to drive it, Non cruise night people are the coolest, and most appreciative of it. I do run into lots of people that used to have one like it..:-D

I REALLY agree with your comment. I did my car as a learning experience, never did body work or paint, never even seen the inside of an engine before, I just did it and learned as I worked. But that just urks me. And those who are trophy hunters, that pay to have things professionally done and rub it in your face..."Hey Jack, come back when you do some wrenching!"

"Philosphy of a Car Enthusiast- It's easy to find a fault; it's often a lot harder to do better. Always remember...The only person who makes no mistakes is the person who does nothing at all."

I typed that up and hang it on my car. Don't like it...Walk away!!!!!

Dart.JPG

"Restored" Doesn't Mean "Perfect"

“…Never forget that classic cars were mass-produced vehicles. Manufacturers only cared about churning them out as fast as they could, not whether they were all perfect. In fact, assembly line speed, relatively little concern for quality, and frequent design changes made it difficult at best for line workers to produce with as few errors and inconsistencies as they did. Incorrect or missing hardware, improper mounting of components, even scratches and tears were common maladies. Factory paint was sprayed on quick and dirty. Runs were common, as were bare areas, dust and debris on the surface, orange peel, fish-eyes, and more. So, if your “restoring” your classic, remember that it shouldn’t be too perfect”.

Reference: Authentic Restoration Guide by Jason Scott

"Restored" Doesn't Mean "Perfect"

“…Never forget that classic cars were mass-produced vehicles. Manufacturers only cared about churning them out as fast as they could, not whether they were all perfect. In fact, assembly line speed, relatively little concern for quality, and frequent design changes made it difficult at best for line workers to produce with as few errors and inconsistencies as they did. Incorrect or missing hardware, improper mounting of components, even scratches and tears were common maladies. Factory paint was sprayed on quick and dirty. Runs were common, as were bare areas, dust and debris on the surface, orange peel, fish-eyes, and more. So, if your “restoring” your classic, remember that it shouldn’t be too perfect”.

Reference: Authentic Restoration Guide by Jason Scott

I'll have to remember this. One of the lines I like to use is that the was only one perfect Man who walked this earth and I didn't even get an application for that job.

I mostly tell'em point blank and blunty...

F%^&K Off and if you don't like what you see, then F%^k off and go away. And yes, there nit pickinh is very similar to a decleration of war and escalating it all is fine by me. I have no problem with it.

I think your NY is showing. LOL Sorry, I just had to say that. I get similar remarks about some of my comments in various situations. My Detroit begins to show. Funny.

I hear ya one and all. Don't much care what anyone else thinks (although sometimes it gets a bit irritating) and as someone else said here - we are the lucky buggers that get to drive'em home!

"Philosphy of a Car Enthusiast- It's easy to find a fault; it's often a lot harder to do better. Always remember...The only person who makes no mistakes is the person who does nothing at all."

I typed that up and hang it on my car. Don't like it...Walk away!!!!!

I like that whitey. Thank's :cheers:

You know just paint it primer gray. I used to take my car down to the neighborhood car show and I swear the only people that would come to talk to me were the only ones that knew something about it. Its funny but they always get the year wrong. I always watch the pretty girls walk by without a glance though, that part makes me sad. I've figured out that people really only like stuff that is shiny (except for us mopar folk.)

I was at a show this weekend where there was judging. I watched a family walk by, the teenage daughter had the voting sheet in her hand. She saw the size of the tires on the Barracuda parked next to mine and said "look at that! The're huge! I'm Voting for that one." And never even glanced at my car as she passed between them.

I feel your primer pain. I guess only Mopar fans can appreciate a car like that.

I did a car show with my 78 D-150 Adventurer. It is a 88,000 mile survivor that is stock and looks like new. I had my primered Valiant parked in the parking lot behind it and had more people look at it then my truck. I did have the guy that won best of show ask me if that was mine and told me that it was the cleanest Dodge truck he had seen in a long time. He wasnt a purest though, he had Mopar running gear in his 47 Ford. "Built Ford tough with Mopar stuff" I told him just him saying that made my day.

I think your NY is showing. LOL Sorry, I just had to say that. I get similar remarks about some of my comments in various situations. My Detroit begins to show. Funny.

Ya, your right, a bit gruff, but true. I should get this quote hung up on 2 windows and the hood. By Whitey;

And then add to it Ha ha ha!

Truly, this is one subject and type of person that boils blood quickly.

Yeah it obviously bothers me too, I think this is the third thread like this I got involved in. I finally adjusted my hood after a guy with an Ebody Barracuda (that needed tons of interior work) commented on the way it was sitting.

Did I comment on his interior...no. I guess I just appreciate old cars & the work that goes into them. I rather see a primered old car than most shiny new cars.

I think I need Rumblefish as backup when I go cruising. So he can tell people to :stfu: lol.

Just smile and laff when you say it. When they get confused or start up again, cut them off and get louder while smiling bigger. Also, don't forget the quotes above and add in, "Don't go away mad, just go away."

I guess I am just blessed. Since mine is a clone, and I add all the options I want and leave off everything I don't, I just dont get bothered too much. I do the "test dirt" on a plastic sign somtimes, just to get laughs.

I was considering getting a custom plate that rears

"MULE"

I usually ask... "Which one's yours?" If they point it out, I'll go do the same to them. Uslually with much greater accuracy and detail then they used. If they don't have it there (with one of a million excuses...) then I start to publically humiliate them until they get mad and leave. That usually takes about a minute and a half :D

I was at a show this weekend where there was judging. I watched a family walk by, the teenage daughter had the voting sheet in her hand. She saw the size of the tires on the Barracuda parked next to mine and said "look at that! The're huge! I'm Voting for that one." And never even glanced at my car as she passed between them.

I feel your primer pain. I guess only Mopar fans can appreciate a car like that.

Funny, I finally drove my '72 Duster Saturday. Primer gray, beat up rusty bumpers and all, and some guy had to stop and give a thumbs up and was staring at it... My wife was following me in my truck and she was dumbfounded that he thought it was so cool... She can't see what it "could be" when it's finished, guess it's a good thing I don't care what she thinks... :)

I'm telling you girls that aren't mopar girls only like shiny and big. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the car show and I love old cars no matter the make but mopar is always my favorite but there are T buckets and all sorts of stuff. The girls go to the new 09 Camero and walk right past the 71 Cuda. Makes me so mad. I really want to bring a white board and marker next time and be like,"With the 426 Hemi in this mopar right here and the 5.7 POS in this Chevy; and with the classic nature of this here mopar and the hey my 90's model Camero resimbles that of the catfish I caught earlier this morning and ate for lunch." I'm not sure what else but I think I would have alot of people offended and peel out driving out of the parking lot to compinsate for something:toothy10: and others just laughing.
Good Plan eh?

-
Back