People who let rare cars rot.

Do you like to see stubborn owners let old mopars rot away

• Yes, I love it and fantasize about it!

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Yes, I'm a hoarder and soon I'll have the only one left.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Hell no.

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • Idk i vote with the majority and am a sheeple

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
-
I want a roof over my cars so they don't sit out in the weather and collect leaves and pine straw. Humid here and lots of timber. I want all the rust repaired so they don't keep rusting away. They may not be pretty or have good paint...yet. I want them to drive down the road.. and back. No they probably will not get a fresh engine.
I love the chase I guess. I buy cheap enough when I sell I don't lose any $, maybe just my time. I want the new owner to buy and be happy and appreciate what he bought. If he flips it fothat is his business. More power to him for being smarter than me.
I try to save these old cars when I can but I can't save them all and that's OK. I am OK with the fact that it takes parts cars to build surviving cars.
I tend to price my cars for sale at what I think is fair to me and the buyer. I tend not to price them up just so someone can bargain me down. If I have a car worth $70, and price it at $50, do doubt the buyer will offer me $30 !!!!!!!!
Anything I get over scrap price is salesmanship!!????? lol

See you're like most of us, we check on them wipe the leaves and debris off of them if all put the tarps back on that blew off eventually go over and sand some of that rust and Krylon it so you can keep it longer...... we actually give a hoot.

We don't leave it out in a field and then run a foot-and-a-half deep irrigation water into and let cows walk on it , trees grow through the engine bay. We dont leave then out in the elements next to a tractor barn for a decade untouched with rain gutter pouring off into the vinyl top.

You're good, you're trying to save the cars.

Those little awnings you can buy for carports and have a couple Mexicans sling up in an hour or two cost what? 600 bucks? The 18x21 regular size can fit two cars under it.

I find myself siding more with Official on this one. I have never felt the pain of losing a child but I have felt the pain of losing my grandpa recently (I know, 2 different things) who was very close to me and got me started in wrenching as a little kid. He has some really nice firearms I inherited from him, still waiting for a chance to fly out to SE PA and pick them up.

Now what am I going to do with them... oil them up and put them in a display case to sit for the next 20 years? Or am I going to take them out once in a while, work the actions, clean them, fire some rounds through them to help relive the old memories of my grandpa and take care of them the way he taught me to? The LAST thing I would do is throw them in some dirty damp place to turn into junk just because "the memories are too painful" or "I don't have the time/money to take care of them". IMO that's super disrespectful to the deceased first off, secondly it's just lazy and selfish. If I died the last thing I would want my parents to do is let my Duster rot outside for decades. Sell it to a good honest person who will continue to enjoy and preserve it.

Everyone has the right to do what you will with your own property but that doesn't mean other people don't have the right to be pissed at you for abusing or neglecting it. It also doesn't mean you should take advantage of that right and be totally inconsiderate of anyone else who is interested or involved in the same "stuff".

It's a personal "moral" thing to me, people should just do what's right but nobody should have to force them to do it. It should be on their own accord, because they want to be responsible considerate adults.

I have owned more than a few since bout '82-3 maybe. I have had my "keepers" and yes those sat inside a garage or shed. Longest one I remember having was a AAR about 5-6 years back in late 80's early 90's. They came and they went. Hopefully they all found new and loving homes. I have had some sit outside, maybe a month, maybe a couple years before it was time for them to find a home.
Like everyone I have tried to buy cars from people that lived in a very poor shack, the kids ran around dirty and barefoot, looked hungry, but NO that Roadrunner vert with NO top sitting outside for years was not for sale. As we have all heard they will restore it to it original glory and drive it down the road, for RC Cola and a bag of pork rinds!!!

All this being said, i recall a story of an old guy having an old car in the field. Got tired of people asking and burned it where it sat.
I got the dart back after it sat for 25 years.guy was going to fix it up and never did.
So i have one of my cars i drove 30 years ago. Its indoors now. Still moss covered.

Back in the 80's, that was not long past the Viet Nam war, I occasionally found some parents that lost their son over there, and there sat a new or like new Mopar, seems like usually a Roadrunner. I am 71, I was from that era. Those parents were the age of my parents. I could always see the connection between them and their son's car. I could see the tears run down their face,.. or maybe their eyes light up when they talked of their deceased son.
I knew those that served over there and bought that new car, maybe before or maybe after. I knew those that died over there, those that returned and a year or so later, and took their life. I knew parents that lost their son over there.
I never asked those parents to sell me that car, I could tell it just was not the time for them to consider letting it go, if ever.

A fellow in my neighborhood is the original owner of a '70 Sublime green Super Bird. It's a Hemi 4 speed car. Unmolested,untouched,unenjoyed. In the 18 years I have lived here, I have only seen the car out a handful of times. Two were were for neighborhood car shows and the others were for drives through the neighborhood. Car just sits in the corner of the garage, covered, 99.9% of the time. Car could use a good detailing.

Wondering where I sit in this debate. I got my car in 2009.. knew it had bad rust issues.. at least drivers front frame rail, and torsion x member. I got a good deal on it from my nephew, who got a good deal on it, but he was into trucks.. he thought of me when he got it.
Back in '09, money was ok... then life happened. Medical bills, borderline mortgage fraud, and a kid that fell in love with hockey (which is good at soaking up time and money).
I always kept the car in the garage.. hasn't seen the light of day in 10 years. I did my best to keep the kids from banging the bikes against it, and when the garage got so full I couldn't pull a car into it to work on it, the Cuda stayed in the garage.
Money has gotten a 'bit' better the last couple years, and there's light at the end of the tunnel. Still just a sliver, but we're working on making it bigger.
Started working on it last summer. Still don't have any money to put into it, but I always knew I would when I got the time and money... I have a some time now, and money is looking a little better.
Should I have found someone the last 10 years that really wanted to restore it?
It may still turn into a parts car, depending on how much rot I find in the back end. My head says it already is.. but my heart tells me it's such a pretty car, it's worth it... and worth it to hang onto it.

Ok, where do I start. I'm going to try and say my piece and then that's it. No quibbling back and forth with anyone. Some of you are down right ignorant. But maybe that has to do with your upbringing. I just happened to stumble onto this thread. Before my name was mentioned, I knew it was aimed at me, specifically. I admit it, the car was left too long. But none of you know the circumstances. Weather it be excuses or not, moving away, divorce, and having the car stored, yes it was stored under a shed on my grandfathers farm. Maybe its not worth 5500. But that's where I started. You don't want it, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. If you might be interested then we can talk. For 500 it sits and goes to dust, or I'll scrap it. As stated before it's my car and can do with what I want. Right now I'm not parting. I've had people ask about the car for years, if I would sell. I've told them I would, come look and we'll haggle. They never show. I had one guy wanted to buy the hood. He offered me decent money for it, I told him the car would have to go with the hood. He didn't want the car. Go figure. Now I have other cars sitting, and am losing storage due to family issues. This is what I've said before; If any of you are storing at an uncle or brothers, just beware when things go sour. I don't have the means to build right now, so if none sell they get drug into the woods behind the house or scrapped, simple as that. Don't judge some one by what they do. It's their business, their cars, their property, NOT YOURS. Years ago, my ex fatherinlaw, heard me talking about buying a truck. He started in on a Chevy C-10, and the way it should be equipped. My reply to him," If you're paying for it, then that's what I'll buy. But since you're not, keep your mouth shut" I've met a lot of nice and decent people on here and the other sites. I've sold quite a lot of parts, and I've haggled and we usually come to an agreed price. To my knowledge, I've never cheated anyone and if something was wrong, I've tried to rectify the situation before it could escalate. As stated in the original ad, I do have some extras; parts, glass, other A-body parts cars that could maybe be worked into a deal. I know I'm not going to get to them, the way my plans once were. Life deals you disappointments and you learn to live with it . Last thing; I wander if the OP, would have jumped on me, or the car had I offered it up for free. Won't happen. Quantum53

Ok, where do I start. I'm going to try and say my piece and then that's it. No quibbling back and forth with anyone. Some of you are down right ignorant. But maybe that has to do with your upbringing. I just happened to stumble onto this thread. Before my name was mentioned, I knew it was aimed at me, specifically. I admit it, the car was left too long. But none of you know the circumstances. Weather it be excuses or not, moving away, divorce, and having the car stored, yes it was stored under a shed on my grandfathers farm. Maybe its not worth 5500. But that's where I started. You don't want it, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. If you might be interested then we can talk. For 500 it sits and goes to dust, or I'll scrap it. As stated before it's my car and can do with what I want. Right now I'm not parting. I've had people ask about the car for years, if I would sell. I've told them I would, come look and we'll haggle. They never show. I had one guy wanted to buy the hood. He offered me decent money for it, I told him the car would have to go with the hood. He didn't want the car. Go figure. Now I have other cars sitting, and am losing storage due to family issues. This is what I've said before; If any of you are storing at an uncle or brothers, just beware when things go sour. I don't have the means to build right now, so if none sell they get drug into the woods behind the house or scrapped, simple as that. Don't judge some one by what they do. It's their business, their cars, their property, NOT YOURS. Years ago, my ex fatherinlaw, heard me talking about buying a truck. He started in on a Chevy C-10, and the way it should be equipped. My reply to him," If you're paying for it, then that's what I'll buy. But since you're not, keep your mouth shut" I've met a lot of nice and decent people on here and the other sites. I've sold quite a lot of parts, and I've haggled and we usually come to an agreed price. To my knowledge, I've never cheated anyone and if something was wrong, I've tried to rectify the situation before it could escalate. As stated in the original ad, I do have some extras; parts, glass, other A-body parts cars that could maybe be worked into a deal. I know I'm not going to get to them, the way my plans once were. Life deals you disappointments and you learn to live with it . Last thing; I wander if the OP, would have jumped on me, or the car had I offered it up for free. Won't happen. Quantum53
I like your post. **** happens, life doesn't always go the way you want it to. We'd all have a huge heated humidity controlled garage to keep these cars and work on them if we could. That's not real life.

RSie you are correct. If(big word) we could win a lottery. I went back on my word. Said I wouldn't say anything else. The parts car was bought with a broken windshield. The swinger was from my uncle. He even admitted to it eventually. A large rock used to lay on the cowl. In my family when things go south, they go quickly. But again it's a car, my car, but what do I do to him. I had a '55 Custom Royal Lancer, 270 baby hemi. Used to drive the car often. Had to move for work. Stored in my uncles building. I got laid off and knew I'd never get to do it the way I wanted. I sold it to someone for his dad. The car wouldn't turn over. I thought I was going to break the crank bolt trying to turn it. He wanted the car anyways. Run into quite frequently at Carlisle. He told me it didn't matter what I tried I would never have got it to turn over. It was one of the last engines Carlisle machine did. Someone poured acid into #7 and melted the piston to the cylinder wall. I now have my dads '55 Coronet. It was in his building, the engine won't turn over. So... But I can't prove anything.

Maybe it’s only me, but I try to have a different approach when I stop to ask about a car. Instead of trying to buy it outright, I ask about it, I ask about the owner, how long they’ve had it, what their plans are for it, and whether they’d be interested in selling it. If they’re not selling, I offer up that I am in the hobby and maybe they would like help with their plans for it. I’ve helped many a person try to reach their goal, whether it’s bringing it back to life, or just covering it up. Every bodies situation is unique, and I try to respect that.

On the flip side, sometimes you do get the car. Buying one from an original owner is sometimes very rewarding for both sides. We bought Nellas car from the original owner. We told him what we could pay, and what our plans would be for it. He had higher offers than ours, but he felt that it was going to be in good hands. True to our word, we do things and stop by there when we can to show them our progress. They love to sit in it and take pictures of themselves in it. They don’t want it back, they are glad that it’s being loved like they loved it. I could’ve easily been one of those with a higher offer and been refused, but I think my approach of respecting their situation has always yielded benefits, and a lot of new friends.

791A5A22-E4A2-47C8-B2E4-2C2E581E8EF8.jpeg

I have a collection of cars and I get people stopping by all the time to ask if anything is for sale.

They are nice, gentle and smiles when they first show up but turn total asshole when you say you are not interested in their low ball offer, or just simply not interested in selling. It's almost harassment.

I dont sell because I am 32 and healthy, I do have the ability to fix some cars. I am just a little short on time now because I have this thing I have to do... called an office job.

It gets easy to turn into a ***** with strangers showing up because they assume I won't fix then because I am a girl. They ask who the owner is when I say I am like they don't believe me. They tell me the car needs a lot of work as if I don't already know. They tell me they "would be doing me a favor by taking it off my hands" ...... usually for low ball offers.

What really pisses me off are the ones who take liberties to go into the yard and open hoods and start looking without permission.

After all that it gets easier to turn mean and just say "get off my property or cops will be called"
This is hilarious! That said, it would give me a double-take if I stumbled upon a yard full of Mopars and a lady told me she was the owner.. just unusual. I'd be over it as soon as I knew you displayed you knew what the the hell you were talking about though.
By the way, just because I'm to damn lazy to PM you, I still have all the parts you wanted off the '74 Dart I parted out last summer. I found a box for the header panel a couple weeks ago at Menards (Home Depot-Lowes type store).. the box was in the dumpster and I chased a guy down to see if I could take it. I learned today about Fastenal shipping, and I have a local place! I'll see what they'll charge.

I've been watching a 1970 Cuda 440 6 bbl car waste away for several years now, it is an all original BS23V0 car, ralley red car beautiful car. It belongs to a farmer who is in his mid 70's and he's had it many year's. It sits outside beside a barn not far from where I live, I used to talk to him about it but he won't even let his son have it. I wish they would at least put it in the barn it sits beside. I think he likes people seeing it and asking about it, now that I'm getting older I kinda understand how he feels. Hopefully his son will get it someday and it will still be worth saving. It used to really bother me seeing the shape it has gotten in, but I guess he's still enjoying it in his own way.

Hey, it's not aimed at you, no matter what anyone pm'd you. It was the pics and condition of your car AND at the time you finally let go , as an example.. not a bashing or insult. You openly admit it went too long, you arent one of those delusional types.
It is what it is. Best of luck and I hope your car got some good exposure and maybe a diehard resto guy will give you what you need for it.

I also have a story from the other side. Maybe people know here, but I was actively looking to trade my GTX for a 70 Roadrunner. A guy I knew found one and offered to help get it for me. He did, but in the totally wrong way. He spun a tale of lies to the owner, who was the original owners nephew. Told him it would be a father/son project, even took his son with him. Instead of just telling him the truth, he spun this web of lies and beat him out of the car. It was in the next town over from me, and I was sure that the original owner would see it on the road, so I wanted to know who the guy was, but the guy I got it through wouldn’t provide any information on it to me, because he also lied to me. Well, things have a way of working out, because I mentioned owning it to a friend of mine who knew the car, and the next thing you know I tracked down the nephew. He was pissed that the car had been bought from him just to flip, until I walked into his shop and told him I was the new owner, and what my plans were for it. We were both lied to and ripped off, but now there is a bond between us that has mended both of our interests in the car. He’s never seen it run, and I offered to take it there and let him drive it. He’s is going to put me in touch with his uncle, and he will also get to drive it again. It’s been off the road since 1976, so there’s a lot of history to make up here. Had I not been honest and diligent, there would’ve been hard feelings between him and his uncle, but I think it was meant to be in my hands to help fix what lies ruined for us both.

E44374DE-553E-4AFC-B35B-7E8537CCD96F.jpeg

I like finding them rust cars. They usually have some good mechanical parts.

I once was after a rusted 340 Duster, West Pa. in the 80's. He would not sell it. He started running around on his wife. I stopped there the one day and she told me $100. I gave her $200. Then she told me there was more behind the house in the wood line. I volunteered to help her clean up and get rid of the hornet nests. one week 7 trips. $1500 7 Dusters. Not one title was in his name. That car sat there for 10 years that I knew of.

Its timing. Being there at the right time when she hated her husband and needed money because he left her with nothing. I probably could have moved in but then my wife would have sold my ****.

You're either not trying very hard or marketing it in the wrong area... Or the car is already Swiss cheese and not worth $25 in scrap because every panel has holes in it.
There is more to that story... and there are more variables that I couldn't possibly cover in the first place which is why I tried to put a disclaimer as whoever reads this don't automatically think it's about you just because it doesn't cover your special circumstance. Everyone who knows and who woke on the right side of the bed knows exactly what I'm talking about ....oh, and for all you know this thread may sell that car for you.
Thanks for your advice.
The car in question was an old race car that someone did a terrible back half job to.
I did however, have a perfect rust free rear floorpan, frame rails, trunk, etc. to properly fix it.
The car was raced from the mid '70s to the late '80s.
Not a rusty car at all.
'69 Barracuda Formula S 340 console auto Fast Back.
Has all of the body numbers, fender tag and dash with the V.I.N. still in place and they all matched.
No drive train except for a narrowed 9'' and was a roller.
Not worth $500.00?
You don't know how many ads and phone calls i made as well as e-mailing pictures etc. that i did to try to sell the car over the course of 2 years.
I just got tired of it and parked it in the back 20.
Since then i have traded it to a friend of mine for another car.
Junk for junk.

I have over 40 cars left on my property.
Most of them are in a field and i monitor them somewhat regularly for deterioration etc.
Most of them haven't changed much in 30 years other than paint fade.
90% of them are parts cars only that i saved from a local junk yard that was crushing them out in the early '90s.
They would have all been gone back then, and i gave them a chance to be saved, or at least some parts used to save others before they are crushed.

So, my point is, don't judge people and their cars.
You don't know the whole story, and if you do, it's literally none of your business what they do.
Ask whatever price you want, it's your car.
Do what you want with your car, it's your car.
Period.

In fact, by reading between the lines on your posts in this thread and by direct comments you have made, you started this to piss people off and to see what the reactions were for your own entertainment.
And you deliberately used a member's car for sale on here to piss him off too.
Who the hell do you think you are? The morality police?

It's laughable that one of your signatures is ''don't feed the troll'' when that's what this thread is all about.
You and your trolling.

Again, thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
Dartnut , you saved cars from the crusher, that's great. And like you said, trying to sell a project that needs all the usual work can be difficult, next to impossible unless you pay them to haul it off!

I put a couple of my projects on CL other day, as I need to build a shed here before we move in a year or so ( I hope). SO here is the story. Couple years back I picked up a 71 Duster slant car, 3 on floor stick car. Original paint but rust in lower qtrs, floors.. I repaired the rust, smoothed out all digs, looks like poop, but ready for the next step of sandng primer and blocking. Runs decent but I never hardly drive it, just down the road a ways very occasionally.. So in a day or so I get the usual that want to trade me, guns, or 2 horses, or a slightly used Ugo.
Then a guy I know that plays with these old cars, basically a hobby flipper, he comes to look at this $3500 car. I did not start at $5000 thinking I could get rich, or at $4000 to come down to $3500. So he offer $3000 and I decline. He drives it down the road and it is running rough. It has new points that are now 2 yrs old, the carb no doubt could use some help, but it runs, drives, with all new brakes too.
He leaves and I see the vacuum hose to the EGR has fell off. I see the plug wires I put on it 2 yr ago were NOT new, but need help. So after I have my shower yesterday evening he wants to come get it. I say, how bout in the morning? Yes sir.
Now, I tell him about the vacuum leak, and I got a new set of plug wires. Idles and runs pretty good now, 165 degrees, good oil pressure. I tell him I bet the vac adv is not kicking in.... $75 distributor??????
So now he is "thinking" about it.
I know what is out there for sale and their prices. This car is fairly priced.
This guy can finish the paint work, turn it, and make a profit and sell it to a good home. We will see.

I can see both sides. A man should have the freedom to keep his own property without having to worry that some government entity coming along and taking it....BUT it is a huge waste to see something just slowly fade away when it could have been saved.
I would still like to do the following to some stubborn old asssholes....

Soccer.jpg

Thanks for your advice.
The car in question was an old race car that someone did a terrible back half job to.
I did however, have a perfect rust free rear floorpan, frame rails, trunk, etc. to properly fix it.
The car was raced from the mid '70s to the late '80s.
Not a rusty car at all.
'69 Barracuda Formula S 340 console auto Fast Back.
Has all of the body numbers, fender tag and dash with the V.I.N. still in place and they all matched.
No drive train except for a narrowed 9'' and was a roller.
Not worth $500.00?
You don't know how many ads and phone calls i made as well as e-mailing pictures etc. that i did to try to sell the car over the course of 2 years.
I just got tired of it and parked it in the back 20.
Since then i have traded it to a friend of mine for another car.
Junk for junk.

I have over 40 cars left on my property.
Most of them are in a field and i monitor them somewhat regularly for deterioration etc.
Most of them haven't changed much in 30 years other than paint fade.
90% of them are parts cars only that i saved from a local junk yard that was crushing them out in the early '90s.
They would have all been gone back then, and i gave them a chance to be saved, or at least some parts used to save others before they are crushed.

So, my point is, don't judge people and their cars.
You don't know the whole story, and if you do, it's literally none of your business what they do.
Ask whatever price you want, it's your car.
Do what you want with your car, it's your car.
Period.

In fact, by reading between the lines on your posts in this thread and by direct comments you have made, you started this to piss people off and to see what the reactions were for your own entertainment.
And you deliberately used a member's car for sale on here to piss him off too.
Who the hell do you think you are? The morality police?

It's laughable that one of your signatures is ''don't feed the troll'' when that's what this thread is all about.
You and your trolling.

Again, thanks for your advice.
Better sitting in a field than crushed.. thanks for doing this. You probably kept a lot of other cars on the road.

It depends where you live as to how fast and how a car will deteriorate...

I am in a prairie desert, my scrap has less rust than most of the cars in the rust belt, but on the flip side I get sun baked crumbly rubber and plastic pieces.

That said, I am not going to worry about a car with zero rust being outside here. The interior and seals were trash before I bought the car and the metal isn't going anywhere.

Around here you leave the trunk lids open so the air can dry them out after it rains, twice a year.

In the rust belt it will be a far more urgent matter, by having a car outside next to a barn

It depends where you live as to how fast and how a car will deteriorate...

I am in a prairie desert, my scrap has less rust than most of the cars in the rust belt, but on the flip side I get sun baked crumbly rubber and plastic pieces.

That said, I am not going to worry about a car with zero rust being outside here. The interior and seals were trash before I bought the car and the metal isn't going anywhere.

Around here you leave the trunk lids open so the air can dry them out after it rains, twice a year.

In the rust belt it will be a far more urgent matter, by having a car outside next to a barn
I wish I had to deal with only crumbly rubber and plastic pieces here in Wisconsin. The winters here eat cars alive.. Wet, slushy snow mixed with salt gets in all the underbody nooks and crannies, then freezes on the cold days. Then melts out, gets all slushy again, freezes again. That constantly pushes all the metal a little farther apart, and combined with the salt, it doesn't take long before a car is unsafe. Coupled with humid summers, Wisco eats cars.

I wish I had to deal with only crumbly rubber and plastic pieces here in Wisconsin. The winters here eat cars alive.. Wet, slushy snow mixed with salt gets in all the underbody nooks and crannies, then freezes on the cold days. Then melts out, gets all slushy again, freezes again. That constantly pushes all the metal a little farther apart, and combined with the salt, it doesn't take long before a car is unsafe. Coupled with humid summers, Wisco eats cars.
Same here in Minnesota.

-
Back