People who let rare cars rot.

Do you like to see stubborn owners let old mopars rot away

• Yes, I love it and fantasize about it!

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Yes, I'm a hoarder and soon I'll have the only one left.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Hell no.

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • Idk i vote with the majority and am a sheeple

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
-
I have a Mustang story too. The brother of a friend used to have a 65 Mustang 2+2 fastback, 289HP 4 speed car. Yup. It was worth a lot. Guy kept getting in trouble with the law. Got in trouble in the military and ended up in Leavenworth a short time. His dad took the car away from him, disabled it, put it up on blocks and let rot for 30 plus years. This was a grown man we're talkin about here. Just couldn't stay away from the drugs and thug life. His dad held out hope that one day they'd do a "father son" kinda restoration thing. It was "about" 2004 I think the dad finally saw it wasn't happenin when "his now" forty something son bashed in a lady's door with her home and stole her tv for drug money. That was the straw that broke the camel's back and he took the car to a local salvage yard his friend owns. Yup. He owns a crusher too. He sold the car for scrap and stood there and MADE SURE they crushed it. Gone. End of story. Although the floors were rotted pretty much gone, there was enough there to save the car. Still had the original drive train. But pappy wasn't happy and it came to an ugly end. They still don't speak to this day.
Yeah it is sad.

I have a Mustang story too. The brother of a friend used to have a 65 Mustang 2+2 fastback, 289HP 4 speed car. Yup. It was worth a lot. Guy kept getting in trouble with the law. Got in trouble in the military and ended up in Leavenworth a short time. His dad took the car away from him, disabled it, put it up on blocks and let rot for 30 plus years. This was a grown man we're talkin about here. Just couldn't stay away from the drugs and thug life. His dad held out hope that one day they'd do a "father son" kinda restoration thing. It was "about" 2004 I think the dad finally saw it wasn't happenin when "his now" forty something son bashed in a lady's door with her home and stole her tv for drug money. That was the straw that broke the camel's back and he took the car to a local salvage yard his friend owns. Yup. He owns a crusher too. He sold the car for scrap and stood there and MADE SURE they crushed it. Gone. End of story. Although the floors were rotted pretty much gone, there was enough there to save the car. Still had the original drive train. But pappy wasn't happy and it came to an ugly end. They still don't speak to this day.
I got to say...if I were him...I would have put the SON in the the crusher and restored the CAR... a LONG time ago.

I got to say...if I were him...I would have put the SON in the the crusher and restored the CAR... a LONG time ago.

What's really unfortunate now is, the son, now almost 60 has FINALLY straightened out and is doing alright. He's "gone back" so many times though, it wouldn't surprise me to find him stoned in the ditch tomorrow. Really sad.

What's really unfortunate now is, the son, now almost 60 has FINALLY straightened out and is doing alright. He's "gone back" so many times though, it wouldn't surprise me to find him stoned in the ditch tomorrow. Really sad.
Well... I guess good for him, but investment vs return of those who tried to help him is liken to paying 35 yrs storage fees for a pissed on couch and projector tv...lol
In the end ..still worthless.

Well... I guess good for him, but investment vs return of those who tried to help him is liken to paying 35 yrs storage fees for a pissed on couch and projector tv...lol
In the end ..still worthless.

Puzackly.

I have a Mopar friends from since back in the '80's back home. He is a house painter by trade, his wife worked, they had a small modest home right in the middle of town across the state line. He is a good bodyman/painter, engine builder, he can do it all..He like me was always dragging something home, but he would never sell a car or part. We traded an occasional part, I even traded him a 70 V code Cuda roller once back about '93 for a 68 GTX 4 speed car plus a few $. . He sold his place for good money as it had a little value as commercial, they moved across into Mo. as everything there is cheaper. They built a pole bldg. that was he, like 50 or 60 x 150 or so. They built an apt in one end. He wanted to build his wife a log home, but she wanted their home in their big garage! I moved to south Mo. in 2005.
He told me those cars /parts would be is retirement. I said my take on it is that the prices of this stuff will rise and fall how many times???? If you sell at the right time, good, but what if... and I told him, I am not sure you could ever make yourself sell it off!!
I try not to judge, but my opinion is my bud is basically all good....he is a collector, a horder, a car loving guy, and just a good person. People that don't really know him and all is circumstances might think otherwise. Don't know. He is my friend.

I have a Mopar friends from since back in the '80's back home. He is a house painter by trade, his wife worked, they had a small modest home right in the middle of town across the state line. He is a good bodyman/painter, engine builder, he can do it all..He like me was always dragging something home, but he would never sell a car or part. We traded an occasional part, I even traded him a 70 V code Cuda roller once back about '93 for a 68 GTX 4 speed car plus a few $. . He sold his place for good money as it had a little value as commercial, they moved across into Mo. as everything there is cheaper. They built a pole bldg. that was he, like 50 or 60 x 150 or so. They built an apt in one end. He wanted to build his wife a log home, but she wanted their home in their big garage! I moved to south Mo. in 2005.
He told me those cars /parts would be is retirement. I said my take on it is that the prices of this stuff will rise and fall how many times???? If you sell at the right time, good, but what if... and I told him, I am not sure you could ever make yourself sell it off!!
I try not to judge, but my opinion is my bud is basically all good....he is a collector, a horder, a car loving guy, and just a good person. People that don't really know him and all is circumstances might think otherwise. Don't know. He is my friend.
You remember bacon crackers?
They were good, almost as good as chicken in a biscuit. Even little stale they're pretty good.

Puzackly.

Lol
Starts to get really redundant when people keep making excuses for people just because they know them and they're friends. 10 posts later, new story a lil softer everytime. Ooookayyyyy...lol we see where this keeps trying to be detoured. People tryin to make themselves feel warm n fuzzy...but its simply their confliction with having and actuallysaving/preserving.
Denial, delusion and after a while it's headed down the fast lane of squander.
Greed of old cars you cant fix or afford to...They hope their kids will value them when you die... they flip them for next to nothing to parts yards or crush'em. If no kids.... all squandered out the tail pipe.
Now let's talk mini parmesan n jack cheezits.... man they don't last long round here! A little green onion dip... mmm mmm

Ps, I picked up a Dual 1264 turntable....and it don't skip this bad.....lol pun'ola

Starts to get really lame when people make excuses for people just because they know them and they're friends. 10 posts later, new story everytime. Ooookayyyyy...see where this keeps trying to be detoured. People tryin to make themselves feel warm n fuzzy...but its simply their confliction with having and actuallysaving/preserving.
Denial, delusion and after a while it's headed down the fast lane of squander.
Greed of old cars you cant fix or afford to...They hope their kids will value them when you die... they flip them for next to nothing to parts yards or crush'em. If no kids.... all squandered out the tail pipe.
Now let's talk mini parmesan n jack cheezits.... man they don't last long round here! A little green onion dip... mmm mmm

Well, you're not going to get people to understand you didn't mean anything personally. You and I are somewhat a like in that when we're passionate about something it "just comes out how it comes out" and lots of times it's taken in the wrong context. I think it was @AdamR that told @inkjunkie once that "it's just the internet" and that's true. If people see what they think is something unkind coming off my keyboard, there's a 99% or more chance either they are misinterpreting it or it's tongue in cheek.........or both. So that's kinda "their problem".

BUt most have gotten to know me around here and know I would never mean anything hateful. That's just not in me.

Well, you're not going to get people to understand you didn't mean anything personally. You and I are somewhat a like in that when we're passionate about something it "just comes out how it comes out" and lots of times it's taken in the wrong context. I think it was @AdamR that told @inkjunkie once that "it's just the internet" and that's true. If people see what they think is something unkind coming off my keyboard, there's a 99% or more chance either they are misinterpreting it or it's tongue in cheek.........or both. So that's kinda "their problem".

BUt most have gotten to know me around here and know I would never mean anything hateful. That's just not in me.
No meanness in this thread, all TC and pokey sarcasm.
A friend of mine, Rockabilly singer guitar player, is liquidating some stuff since he bought a nice spread in Teehass. Has an early 265 Corvette motor with a z28 top end and 327 crank. Sat for years, thinking about picking it up, freshening and flipping it or sticking it in a 51 Chevy of my Fathers putting together for his wife. Picking up a 426 wedge too, runner. Was looking at a '73 4x4 for 1,500. Straight in primer no motor or trans. Trying to get my brother to sht or get off the pot on a dart he has let sit in the carport for 22 yrs. I put a motor in it for him all he had to do is fix the brakes and register it and instead he blows the engine in a 66 Valiant and goes and Yanks that motor out of the dark and sticks it in the valiant just so it can burn another exhaust valve with the same induction set up. One runner is so bad ..its killed 2 engines exh valves. He is the complete opposite of me...and its difficult to work around.lol

My ole bud is post #106, he restores them as he can afford. He built a huge bldg. to keep them in. His collection of cars /parts has never bother me. I always had anywhere from a couple to a doz. If he never wanted to sell off any parts, I guess he figured he needed them. I bet maybe now he does. He is a car guy. He loves the hobby. I guess he is a horder. How many he owns his his business. They don't sit out unless a parts car and no room inside the inn.
Crackers? I like those Ritz "everything" crackers!!
You may refer to me as sodacracker, or boy, or both! lol

No meanness in this thread, all TC and pokey sarcasm.
A friend of mine, Rockabilly singer guitar player, is liquidating some stuff since he bought a nice spread in Teehass. Has an early 265 Corvette motor with a z28 top end and 327 crank. Sat for years, thinking about picking it up, freshening and flipping it or sticking it in a 51 Chevy of my Fathers putting together for his wife. Picking up a 426 wedge too, runner. Was looking at a '73 4x4 for 1,500. Straight in primer no motor or trans. Trying to get my brother to sht or get off the pot on a dart he has let sit in the carport for 22 yrs. I put a motor in it for him all he had to do is fix the brakes and register it and instead he blows the engine in a 66 Valiant and goes and Yanks that motor out of the dark and sticks it in the valiant just so it can burn another exhaust valve with the same induction set up. One runner is so bad ..its killed 2 engines exh valves. He is the complete opposite of me...and its difficult to work around.lol

Cool stuff man. Always had a soft spot for the 1st gen small Chevy and the Mark IV big blocks.

Cool stuff man. Always had a soft spot for the 1st gen small Chevy and the Mark IV big blocks.
when I made that first post and started this thread I used talk to text and i didn't go back and edit it.
I just went back and noticed a moderator edited it.....made it worse. They removed reforgiving words to the op of the sale link.
Why would one want it to come off so harsh..
Robert Mueller a mod here now?

I fixed it.

Doent matter how many times you try to tell someone... they only hear/read what they wanna here/read.

Look here my not so much friend... you and the others that flipped out and took it personal are what's wrong with our country and this hobby. As a matter of fact... you are the very trolls I speak of in my signature. Doh.... it is your bunch who seeks to be offended, and that's the real sad part...you return to the thread multiple times lingering for more to get upset about. Honestly at this point . idgara...and really.. neither should you. Dont waste anymore time in this thread. Go enjoy your insecure self and your rotting 40 cars in the field.
Flipped out?
Ahahahaha!
Quite the contrary.
You comment on everyone else's thoughts on the topic and choose to agree or disagree with them and bash the ones that don't agree 100% with you and patronize the ones that do.
You're quite the piece of work..........
The more you post, the more everyone will realize this!
Judge, jury, and executioner all in one from the comfort of your keyboard!
Bahahahaha!

Flipped out?
Ahahahaha!
Quite the contrary.
You comment on everyone else's thoughts on the topic and choose to agree or disagree with them and bash the ones that don't agree 100% with you and patronize the ones that do.
You're quite the piece of work..........
The more you post, the more everyone will realize this!
Judge, jury, and executioner all in one from the comfort of your keyboard!
Bahahahaha!
Yikes.:eek:
Annnnyhow...it's really nice out today...heck I just walked the beach with my pretty wife and later on we might go back for a sunset... that's after we have sex all day of course, like every day...yawn...
Maybe you should get outside...maybe trim the 6ft tall weeds around all the carcasses in your "field of dreams". :poke:

Gonna have to unsubscribe to my own thread:rofl:ridiculous.

Yikes.:eek:
Annnnyhow...it's really nice out today...heck I just walked the beach with my pretty wife and later on we might go back for a sunset... that's after we have sex all day of course, like every day...yawn...
Maybe you should get outside...maybe trim the 6ft tall weeds around all the carcasses in your "field of dreams". :poke:

Gonna have to unsubscribe to my own thread:rofl:ridiculous.
Sounds like you have a great day planned.
Nice day here as well.
No need to go trim the weeds on my acreage, i have a crew hired to take care of the landscape details and manicure the lawn 3 times a week so the cars don't rot.

My day is also planned out.
I'll just stay in my mansion in air conditioned comfort and count my money until the media arrives for yet another interview.
Today's topic revolves around how i have singlehandedly reduced the carbon footprint of the country by 20% by saving old cars from being crushed and the impact it has on saving the environment.

Then this evening, i will host yet another dinner party where i will clink a few glasses with the many other celebrities who come to town and hang out at my place.

Just another typical day at Dartnut Enterprises Company inc.

I have "properly" stored my car since day 1. I have had nice cars that sit outside while my Swinger, in primer sits in my garage. :) I know, its a sickness. I also want to say that, I understand having a nice car in the garage, but its not good to not drive them, polish the surface rust off of the brake rotors. If you have a running/driving car, at least try to put 1 thousand miles a year on it( it isnt much driving, and takes a few weekends) go out to breakfast early, get back early if you are worried about some texting idiot running into you. Also, I was talking to a buddies dad and uncle, who are retired body men, they said " in about 15-20 years these cars wont be worth anything" so why hold onto them, thinking that they will be worth a fortune.. The market already peaked and is on the down side, mainly because, speaking for myself, at 50 years old, the crowd that is interested in these cars is dwindling...when I am 70 and my kid is 45, someone his age wont want to buy my dart...

I have a collection of cars and I get people stopping by all the time to ask if anything is for sale.

They are nice, gentle and smiles when they first show up but turn total asshole when you say you are not interested in their low ball offer, or just simply not interested in selling. It's almost harassment.

I dont sell because I am 32 and healthy, I do have the ability to fix some cars. I am just a little short on time now because I have this thing I have to do... called an office job.

It gets easy to turn into a ***** with strangers showing up because they assume I won't fix then because I am a girl. They ask who the owner is when I say I am like they don't believe me. They tell me the car needs a lot of work as if I don't already know. They tell me they "would be doing me a favor by taking it off my hands" ...... usually for low ball offers.

What really pisses me off are the ones who take liberties to go into the yard and open hoods and start looking without permission.

After all that it gets easier to turn mean and just say "get off my property or cops will be called"

My wife has a Mustang that she drives in the summer, and she runs a Mercury sable for a winter beater. As Mustang owners in Pa youhave to have a winter car. years ago, she had a Taurus for a winter car. I had a guy pull into the driveway asking if the taurus was for sale, i said "no its not for sale" he goes on to say"why not, I never see it move?" I was younger and short fused, and my blood almost instantly went to boil, I stayed calm and said"its my wifes car, and it isn't for sale". The fact that the stranger thought I should explain to him got me. It isnt like we had a for sale sign on it. I could see if I had a for sale sign, then refused to haggle with him, but that wasnt the case.

This thread has been somewhat entertaining. I guess I could start a new thread and ask to be "rated" lol..but I am not concerned with opinions.

My cars are my toys. Cheap toys, I have no V code E bodies, or 340 or 383 A bodies. I buy cheap projects, but decent ones I can do the body/paint work on, get them where I can drive them down the road. Eventually paint them. Sooner or later thy will find a new home for car love. I usually have 3-5 cars at any given time.

I just don't intent to spend the $ on them and take a lose, so I have reasonable price and basically do all the work. I have to buy a good project at a decent price. The market? It has rose and fallen 3 times since the 80's. Basically the models that rise and fall are the high end models, the six pacs, the hemis, etc. .... I car less.

Sometime I have a car sitting outside. It goes under roof when I can a afford some tin and lumber.

Got 5 cars right now, 2 for sale, 3 that run/drive.

Good thing there are cars that are parts cars, and donate their guts so another an live. The repop companies will never cater to my oddball models!!!!n

I am glad Dartnut has saved these boner cars from the crusher. I would even try to by a needed part off him IF he did not live in Canada!!!! Ever see postage from Canada!!!!!! lol

I have "properly" stored my car since day 1. I have had nice cars that sit outside while my Swinger, in primer sits in my garage. :) I know, its a sickness. I also want to say that, I understand having a nice car in the garage, but its not good to not drive them, polish the surface rust off of the brake rotors. If you have a running/driving car, at least try to put 1 thousand miles a year on it( it isnt much driving, and takes a few weekends) go out to breakfast early, get back early if you are worried about some texting idiot running into you. Also, I was talking to a buddies dad and uncle, who are retired body men, they said " in about 15-20 years these cars wont be worth anything" so why hold onto them, thinking that they will be worth a fortune.. The market already peaked and is on the down side, mainly because, speaking for myself, at 50 years old, the crowd that is interested in these cars is dwindling...when I am 70 and my kid is 45, someone his age wont want to buy my dart...

I personally don’t look at my cars in terms of monetary value, their value to me is in their enjoyment of having them, working on them, and driving them. All my cars are free to me, the money spent to own them is long gone, and I only need $20 for gas to enjoy them. I don’t want to spend countless $1000’s restoring them, I want to drive them just like they are. I’ve waited my whole life to own the Roadrunner I just acquired, and I just want to fix what it needs to be able to drive it. I don’t plan on ever selling it, so I don’t care what it’s worth. I do like the fact that it has a complete pedigree, as I’m an old school student of correctness. Aside from that, I just want to scare the crap out of people and small animals with it! The kids and family can sell it for whatever they can get when I’m gone.

Used to have a neighbor who had a 1964 Malibu 2 door hardtop console 4 speed car. Sat so long the white was streaking out of the white walls onto the driveway. Rust streaks were also staining the driveway as it was rusting right in place. I was looking for a potential resto candidate at this time This car had not moved from that spot in 26 years, windshield sticker said it was last registered in 1981. This was in 2007.

So this nincompoop comes out of the house, says it's been sitting right there for oh about 26 years, but It ran when parked. I kinda smirked and stifled a laugh lol. Says he's gonna fix it up some day. My reply was pretty snarky but to the point. I told him, well if your gonna do that, ya better hurry. Because it looks like its returning to its base element. He got pissed off. Ended up passing away 10 years later, his wife sold the car for a few thousand bucks.

Ya sure I got multiple projects. 67 and 69 barracudas, 88 daytona shelby. But I got an included shop they are all inside to keep em out of the harsh elements that deteriorate a car.

I cant stand it when dumbasses like that have em, and let em sit on dirt rotting away. I had to leave my kids cuda on dirt under a carport at a buddies place for a few years until I was ready to get it to the house and start on it. It wont be left outside anymore now.

This thread brings back Memories

I posted this RR I found with no title for parts on FBBO. They bashed me for stripping the car After posting picture of some of the good parts. So I offered it to them for what I paid. No reply's. I saved every part that was usable and gave them with the two others I sold . Some of these cars are just not worth the time to save. But they can become a valuable asset to revive another.

DSCN0142.JPG

DSCN0143.JPG

DSCN0144.JPG

DSCN0148.JPG

DSCN0149.JPG

DSCN0150.JPG

DSCN0151.JPG

DSCN0152.JPG

DSCN0153.JPG

DSCN0154.JPG

So I offered it to them for what I paid $500 with these pictures. No reply's. I saved every part that was usable and gave them with the two others I sold . Some of these cars are just not worth the time to save. But they can become a valuable asset to revive another. Unless you are able to actually do all the work in your own garage or foot the bill to do it . Maybe you should just refrain from commenting

DSCN0156.JPG

DSCN0157.JPG

DSCN0158.JPG

DSCN0159.JPG

DSCN0160.JPG

DSCN0161.JPG

DSCN0162.JPG

DSCN0163.JPG

DSCN0164.JPG

I don't frequent the FBBO site anymore so the members on that site do not get any opportunities for B-body cars I find. And there are many. Is this is what is going to happen on this great site. Bash the owners and we will never see or here of the cars we find. I already have been bashed for this car. Where does it end? Grow up.

DSCN0251.JPG

DSCN0252.JPG

DSCN0253.JPG

DSCN0254.JPG

DSCN0255.JPG

DSCN0256.JPG

DSCN0257.JPG

DSCN0258.JPG

photo0 (1).jpg

photo0.jpg

-
Back