Pick a cam for me

-
I will tell my wife that....thanks. But atleast my birth control is just my glasses filter on my phone where yours.....is.....well.......you. HA HA HA HA HA

Ha! That was a goodun. lol

Comp XE268 will save us from 5 more pages of this !

e3b62dc86b80bf80aa257891654876aa_w200.gif

I thing the factory 340 cam would be a good bet.
I'd have to against the grain if I was going for a little more.
Howards and Crane have some very nice split pattern grinds available, one of these would be my choice.
It's your choice, I have no interest in choosing your cam.

dart
I disagree with above comment CCrower may have some universal grinds but IMHO yhis is not one of them and neither are the 267HDP or 271HDP and Crower's lube saver lifters are a great product ...Crower use .005 for advertised?
" Just for the sake of comparison, here's Crower's version of the same profile. Crower Compu-Pro Performance Level 3 Camshafts 31240'

Not talking about high rate cams like Howard's "agressive" series
here are some targets for intakes lower or higher lifts options
@.006 @.200 lift 1.5
250 126 .454
252 126 .481
255 128 .478
256 130 .454
256 tbd .461
257 130 .483
261 134 .494
262 138 .475
263 136 .498
265 138 .502
267 140 .506
268 145 .494
The intake is going to determine your dynamic compression which is key for driveability, part throttel and under 3,000
you could add a column for intake close point
the .200 duration is before and after your iCL intake centerline- which is near your maximum intake velocity- which uou do nnot want to restrict with a one size fits all profile
so take your old school suggestion and plug it in
see how much more durration you have to run to get the same area and how much DCR you looseIt's not about top end hp- just spinning it faster can hide thar
It's power all along the curve where chevy cams suck
Read what UDHarold said about the differences in his cam designs ending with the voodoo serirs
he claims 25 HP
back when we were runing heads up wee'd kill for 5 hp, or even when running stock

dart
I disagree with above comment CCrower may have some universal grinds but IMHO yhis is not one of them and neither are the 267HDP or 271HDP and Crower's lube saver lifters are a great product ...Crower use .005 for advertised?
" Just for the sake of comparison, here's Crower's version of the same profile. Crower Compu-Pro Performance Level 3 Camshafts 31240'

Not talking about high rate cams like Howard's "agressive" series
here are some targets for intakes lower or higher lifts options
@.006 @.200 lift 1.5
250 126 .454
252 126 .481
255 128 .478
256 130 .454
256 tbd .461
257 130 .483
261 134 .494
262 138 .475
263 136 .498
265 138 .502
267 140 .506
268 145 .494
The intake is going to determine your dynamic compression which is key for driveability, part throttel and under 3,000
you could add a column for intake close point
the .200 duration is before and after your iCL intake centerline- which is near your maximum intake velocity- which uou do nnot want to restrict with a one size fits all profile
so take your old school suggestion and plug it in
see how much more durration you have to run to get the same area and how much DCR you looseIt's not about top end hp- just spinning it faster can hide thar
It's power all along the curve where chevy cams suck
Read what UDHarold said about the differences in his cam designs ending with the voodoo serirs
he claims 25 HP
back when we were runing heads up wee'd kill for 5 hp, or even when running stock

And your cam recommendation is?

And your cam recommendation is?
Oh come on now! You know his drill line!

“Don’t use a pointy nosed Chevy cam in your MoPar or you’ll go slow and leave mega power on the table. Get the .904 race bread cam lobe designed for MoPars only because it has a fast rate ramp to rocket your valves open for that edge.”
:rofl:
Has anyone ever seen dyno tests where the valve opening rate can produce no extra power but actually loose power? The raise rate out strips the engine and head flow and appetite. Just wondering if others have been in the dyno room seeing this.

Once apon a time a long time ago I ran a split Crane HFT that worked really well to the tune of 14’s in a 3900 barge. 218/226-.454/.480-112.

Like it so much I did it again in a beater 318 Duster w/3.23’s on stock tires. Had a hoot with the itty bitty cam.

rumble fais to remember that I did not list race grinds
Lunati chevy voodoo and mopar voodoo are exactly the same as far as "agressivness" goes
but if you want less than the street mopar lobes I listed get MP, some Crower, Some Engle
they will still give you more butt dyno than the 50 year old grinds- the old ancidotal favorites

here we have a couple of challanges
fist do the detective wor for asingle spring to replace duals, maybe beehives
a call to the tech line or spring list should do it

split cams
really depends on exhaust flows, manifold, headers, heads not as simple as it used to be

pick your intake duration- here we have very low compression , a not too high stall converter and 3.55 gears
and check against the rev range you are looking for 3.91 in a dart would be different
really depends on how and where you drive it stop and go, speed bumps , or wide open highway where you can give up some bottom end

rumble fais to remember that I did not list race grinds
Lunati chevy voodoo and mopar voodoo are exactly the same as far as "agressivness" goes
but if you want less than the street mopar lobes I listed get MP, some Crower, Some Engle
they will still give you more butt dyno than the 50 year old grinds- the old ancidotal favorites

here we have a couple of challanges
fist do the detective wor for asingle spring to replace duals, maybe beehives
a call to the tech line or spring list should do it

split cams
really depends on exhaust flows, manifold, headers, heads not as simple as it used to be

pick your intake duration- here we have very low compression , a not too high stall converter and 3.55 gears
and check against the rev range you are looking for 3.91 in a dart would be different
really depends on how and where you drive it stop and go, speed bumps , or wide open highway where you can give up some bottom end

That's all well and good, but what does the OP want a cam that take his 250 hp ish engine to 300 hp ish, not a huge of a request, any cam stated so far will accomplish his goals and more, if you think you know of a better one state it.

I get for a lot of high hp and or complicated requirements science the **** out of it, but this one and a few of the last threads on this, it ain't all that complicated, I'm pretty sure Chrysler science the **** out of the factory cam before they decided on it, not saying there isn't better choices.

I have to admit that the main reason I threw that one out there is because I like it, even at the extra cost. If it's between 8.5 & 9.0:1 in the final assemblage it would be my first choice, if the budget allows. But if it has headers and somewhere close to 9:1, then you won't go wrong with a Comp HE 268-H, 268 adv., 220 @ .050, .454 lift on a 110.
The HE 268-H also a really versatile broad range universal performance grind. Put one in a 360 short block that's going to make between 9 to 9.5:1 with a set of milled 308 heads with 3 angle valve job. Putting on an Edelbrock Performer and 1407 along with a set of long tube headers. It's going in a big and heavy W-300 with 4.88 gears and an NP-445 transmission. Being it runs near 2900 rpm at highway speed, it could probably stand even more cam. Something along the lines of a Comp 270H magnum or the like. But it's still going to be a world away from the stock (save for the same Performer intake and a 1406) 1989 318 it's replacing.

The typical number of pages for this type of thread is usually at least 3 or 4....... so let’s get some fast rate cam proponents on here to stretch this out a little farther.

I normally chime in with my std answer of “Comp 268H”........ but I’m going to mix it up a little this time around.......

Isky 264-Mega
I have been using Isky only for flat tappet stuff, as they won't stock the austempered cores I need for roller cams. Isky is far superior IMO in both fit/finish and lifters...power is as good or better than anything else and I've yet to have any problems with their stuff...also run their solid roller cams and lifters is higher end builds with excellent success. I will say though, 300HP can be made with Comp's 275DEH cam.

I thing the factory 340 cam would be a good bet.
I'd have to against the grain if I was going for a little more.
Howards and Crane have some very nice split pattern grinds available, one of these would be my choice.
It's your choice, I have no interest in choosing your cam.
Me too, and for the OP ..my favorite color are these.

20200707_194344.jpg

Engle has some great grinds for MoPar but the Ep series are not them
add about 8 degrees to the advertised to compare with .006 adv dur cams
that first 248 cam compares with a 256 204 .454 to .483 actually even the 248 MP would out pull it
you can figure out the other ones use the targets in post 54
how much area are you willing to give up at the same seat to seat?

back to your question - low compression 318 tall gears stock converter
factory get's it right for starters
240 @ .008 or say 248@.006 = smaller than the above
so if we want to improve performance we start off with factory tiimng but increase the area under the curve
that indicates a 250 degree cam @.006 and post 54 shows some of the available lobes
now if you have a light car and lower gears you can go longer on the duration for even more area
256 works also with 9:1 and the smog 318 is way below that and no realway to get that dynamic compression even with a 250 cam
for comparison comps xe 250 cam has 117 @200 and the target profile has 126
how much larger comp cam do you have to spec to get your valves open .126 @ .200 lift--- where it counts?

I’m going to try out a new method for my next build.......

Open the cam catalog........ and with one hand put your finger on one of the cam listings.

Then....... with the other hand......

EDBB8CB1-E75A-4C16-8C76-897B8F56D8EF.png

I’m going to let the horsepower spirits guide me.

Once apon a time a long time ago I ran a split Crane HFT that worked really well to the tune of 14’s in a 3900 barge. 218/226-.454/.480-112.

Like it so much I did it again in a beater 318 Duster w/3.23’s on stock tires. Had a hoot with the itty bitty cam.

Crane has some nice grinds... :thumbsup:

crane does
they also have white box in the catalog not identifief
remember Crane bought one of the big Detroit grinders
Crane has 3 series of Mopar lobes street to race only so does Engle, Crower
very few in the catalog
best to work with tech support if interested
back in the day they were smooth and easy on the valvetrain
johnny dart does the comp xe 268 hav around half inch lift? with commensurate area? how much duration @200?

Oh ****....I'm giving up a questionable amount of hp for a cam that will last and not make noise, lord have mercy, I'm fucked!
I guess If my at .006 isnt as fat as some guy says on the net it should be...then my ****'s gonna be a dog, cause everything weighs on that one thing ... stfuah! You know what extra lift does, there goes the @.006 arguement.

Get it on a dyno and test both with what the cam manufactures exact recommendations for matching compression,induction, exhaust ...then come and tell me what cam is better. You're squeezing ballz and stroking for the last drop lmao for the small if any power diff when you split hairs over some @ .006 difference. Of how much??
Lmao come on ..."oh but this cam has 2 more degrees at such in such lift...geezus christ man.. hey let's make everything marginally pump octane tolerant too in the name of 2 hp

Last edited:
crane does
they also have white box in the catalog not identifief
remember Crane bought one of the big Detroit grinders
Crane has 3 series of Mopar lobes street to race only so does Engle, Crower
very few in the catalog
best to work with tech support if interested
back in the day they were smooth and easy on the valvetrain
johnny dart does the comp xe 268 hav around half inch lift? with commensurate area? how much duration @200?

Can't tell you. All I know is the original poster has a similar 360 to what I have. I did some research and the XE268 came up several times. I'm one to move forward and take action instead of writing a thesis about it. Is it the best cam I could have picked ? I will never know. But what I do know is this 360 will smoke the Sure grip half way down the street, and if you are not careful, will put the smackdown on you.

JohnnyDarts Bay.jpg

-
Back