Pilot shaft bushing not fitting inside 340 crank. Help ?

-

Mopar64340

Reaction score
Hey guys. So i got my centerforce clutch and the pilot bushing that came with it doesnt not fit my crank. Are there specific pilot bushings for specific cranks ? Or are there automatic and 4 speed cranks ?

You know it's a press fit, right? Auto requires no bushing.

Auto and 4 speed cranks. During rebuilding you can have the auto crank machined for the bushing. Someone makes a bearing that fits the counterpart that all cranks have. If I remember, it's a Jeep part.

Hey guys. So i got my centerforce clutch and the pilot bushing that came with it doesnt not fit my crank. Are there specific pilot bushings for specific cranks ? Or are there automatic and 4 speed cranks ?
Is this a 4 speed conversion?

My 340 crank was an original auto engine but the crank had a pilot hole but did not fit any bushing available for a small block Mopar.

I used the torque converter register needle bearing which fit fine, but when I removed my 4 speed the needle bearing fell out of the crank.

I ended up measuring the pilot hole and having a custom oilite bushing made by my machinist buddy at work.

Most auto cranks didn't get the final machining for a pilot bushing. If that is the case with your crank, you have a few options. Have the pilot hole machined to accept a stock bushing, cut down a bushing to fit the hole you have, or just get a magnum pilot BEARING to go into the converter button hole (my choice).

The hole depth in the crank may not be deep enuff if it's not finished for a factory pilot bushing, and the trans imput shaft will need to be trimmed to avoid burning out the engine thrust bearing .
There's lotsa threads on it, perhaps do a search .

The hole depth in the crank may not be deep enuff if it's not finished for a factory pilot bushing, and the trans imput shaft will need to be trimmed to avoid burning out the engine thrust bearing .
There's lotsa threads on it, perhaps do a search .
The O/D is the only one that is too long that I have heard. Never hurts to check though.

On the shallow hole---I used to think that but evidently it is only B/RB engines with this problem, and I did have a 440, which I had the crank "deepened."

On a side note, the 5.9 in my old "White Whale III" was NOT DRILLED AT ALL past the converter snout register.

-
Back