Pit bull....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Ernie has let me decide what breed of dogs we have. I like Coonhounds and Cattle Dogs. We recently had to put Red, our elderly Redbone to sleep. Sadly, Queenies time with us is becoming very limited. She has had an elevated Pancreas enzyme for a while now. Vet said her liver is starting to fail as well. She is 13, spends 99% of her days sleeping...
Initially Ernie said she just wants to have the 2 young Redbones, Azul & Mita. Few days ago she bought up that she wants a Pit Bull. Unsure of the specific name but she really likes the silver colored one. She has been spending a lot of time reading.
I am well aware of all the hype about Pit bulls. But I also think that the bulk of problem is the owner, not the breed. Have been around a few Pit Bulls over the years. All of these dogs were raised in a family type of setting, very similar to how we have raised our Coonhounds.
What say you folks? If your comment is going to be along the lines of "get a shelter poop shooter", rescue don't buy...please just keep it to yourself...we to start with a "blank canvas", not deal with a disaster that someone created and abandoned. Spare me the "not all shelter dogs are a disaster" speech. I know they are not. Just concerned with adopting a breed that is known to be aggressive.

My pops useto breed American stafords, We had lots of em and never a problem except the random shoe that gets eaten or the arm rests in your car or any thing of value that you dont want eaten when your not looking..

But they are great dogs.

when you say silver Im guessing your looking at "blue nose" pits?
They are a little smaller @50-60 lbs or less and will have lots of energy.

If you can raise a coon hound to not run away off lead than you know the amount of time a working bread takes and yes the pit IS still classified a working breed.

Just like anyrhing else, do lots of home work before you buy. meet the breader, meet the parents and you will be ahead of most folks.

edit- its funny i always the dog in your pick was some sort of pit.

There will always be a little more risk with one of those dogs.
Knowing that going in,you will never forgive yourself if something happens to one of your friends or their child.

One of the most loyal and well behaved animals you will ever own.The trick is raise them from a pup around small animals.Cats ,chickens anything.Bust there *** if they get aggressive with other animals.Never teach them to be aggressive and or try to get them to attack anything even playing around.They already have that in them.They will protect you with there life.And dont chain them up and leave them take them with you every where you can

As a Service Man/Meter Reader for the Gas Company for 30 years I've dealt with many different breeds where I'm basically an invader in their domain. Pits are no different than any other breed..if brought up wrong they are dangerous...if brought up right they are great fun loving dogs. As long as they have teeth ALL dog might bite... it's just that Pits are particularly vicious when they do. In my experience German Shepards are far more apt to be mean. It's obvious you Love your dogs and will do well with a Pit as long as you do your due diligence on the breeder and the pups family.

Getting a shelter animal is cool and all.......IF that's what you want. And I am SURE there are plenty of pit bulls to choose from at your local shelter.

Problem with that is, they are all probably already ruined as far as disposition. Pits are good dogs as long as you do two things. One, get a pure blooded dog and two raise it in a loving home.

The problem with them comes in when they are raised for fighting and almost always, 100% of the time, they are never pure blooded dogs. They are always mixed breeds. Mix breeding brings out some bad stuff sometimes and raising them to fight makes it even worse.

I say go for it. Because I know you and Ernie will provide a loving home and they will be sweet dogs. Probably lick you to death like a bunch of big babies.

Get lots of insurance. In this area in the past two years there have been two children killed by escaped pit bulls and a 80-something owner killed and partly devoured by her two pet pit bulls. Owning that breed is like leaving a loaded firearm on the table with kids around. Odds are nothing will happen, but be prepared for the worst.

Own a Pitbull and never never ever worry about people or strangers with hidden agendas......'cause the Pitbull knows their intent before they get to your yard!!! Better than an alarm ‘cause I have plenty of time to get my back up….the trusty .45….never needed it …but just in case.

An American Bull is a great breed for kids. The old south nickname for them is the Nanny dog. They were left at home while the adults went out to the field.

Mine absolutely adores my two girls. She also has the look that you wouldn't want to trifle with.

Attachments

• IMG_20150509_170645355.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_20150418_145621782.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 300
My family has had Pit Bulls for the last 20 years. They are very smart and well behaved if you raise them that way. We have never had a problem out of any of them. If someone has been raising and breeding the dogs to be a fighter then it's possible they can have that instinctive aggression, but I still say is in how toy raise them.

attachment.php

Go ahead, mess with me, I dare ya. lol

that is not a boxer? could have fooled me

one thing to consider if you do end up getting a pitbull is that you and your dog might get "profiled" and they might force you to muzzle your dog in a situation where a golden retriever gets to run around free

not saying this will happen, just that people like to pick on bulldogs

To add to what Gary S said about insurance, I'd check with my home insurance agent first to see what kind of impact having a Pit would do to my insurance costs.
I agree it's all in how you raise them, but your insurance company isn't going to go along with that belief. Certain dog breeds have bad reps and it will impact your insurance costs.

Diymirage, the American Bull is very similar to a boxer just bigger. Mine is a female and at roughly one year she was over 90lbs.

I've always had Boxers or Pitts growing up. I love them. Of the three the American is my favorite with the Boxer a very close second. A Pitt does make a fine member of the family but as mentioned above there is such a negative stigma associated with them I prefer not to bother. If I wanted a smaller Bull dog I'd probably just get a Boston Terrier.

I have a good friend here that has two pit bulls. They were raised as family dogs and are very sweet. They always come and greet me with kisses when I come over.

If raised properly, they are good family/house dogs.

It's when someone tries to train them to fight, that ruins them. The inner city "gangsta" wannabes that think it's a status symbol...

Start with a blank slate and get a fresh one right from the mother and train her to be a family/house dog, and it'll be fine....

Side note: If all dogs go to heaven, don't you think that Michael Vic is going to be a little nervous if he makes the cut....

lots of insurance is good advice and more importantly keep it in your yard!!!!

there is a dispute among some neighbors up the road from me.

One had a pit bull dog and it got out of the yard and wandered into the next yard.

Around that time the neighbor wife was getting home and unloading her car when she encountered the dog which was at that time an unknown dog to her. The mere sight of a pit bull dog raised fear and concern, so much so that she screamed and her husband came out and unloaded a shot gun into the dog.

There is some debate as to whether the dog was growling or aggressive........many think the dog was friendly enough but the seeing an unknown pit bull coming her way raised the defensive instinct.

we may never know if the shooter's claim that the dog was a threat was true or if the there was an unnecessary fear of the dog just because. But it sure started a neighbor feud and its not good and people are not jumping to get pit bulls around here.

I have had pits for 30 years. My father is a vet.
I will say this. They are extremely loyal and are your best friend.
Like others have stated, it's all how you raise them.
I only have had females, hence my father has always suggested that because of many reasons.
I have always had red nosed American bull terriers. Not full blown highly bred dogs, but true breeds.
We lost our last girl in April after 14 years of a wonderful life. She and her sisters were found in a dumpster after a breeder threw them in there because they developed mange.
That is not uncommon in pits. A little treatment is all they needed.
They turned out to be wonderful pups.

There are other dogs out there and what you choose is you own prerogative as for anyone.
Love them and treat them like you would your child and you'll be happy.
That just my personal opinion.
Others may disagree... but we got a new pup after loosing Tala and she's doing fine.
She loves women and children... but most pits are not that keen on a male stranger.
That goes with most breeds that I have encountered.
I'm not taking sides to anyone. I'm just sharing my personal experiences with the ones I have had.

MIA.jpg

Diymirage, the American Bull is very similar to a boxer just bigger. Mine is a female and at roughly one year she was over 90lbs.

she sure is a good looking girl

I grew up with boxers and those are great dogs too

this one might be the ticket right here, because it doesn't fit the profile of a "pitbull" like the one which Rainy mentioned got shot

I would imagine the American bull wouldn't get shot as quickly but it is something to consider

I'm sure were amongst dog lovers here and we all understand there are no bad dogs, just bad owners...but keep in mind people associate certain dogs with certain things

(kinda like we don't reach for a concealed carry piece as quickly when a minivan with tinted windows drives by slower then it should as we would be when an impala on 29 inch rims with tinted windows drives by slower then it should)

she is a fine lookin pup.

i think all the "pitbull" bs is just folks who dont know better, never owned a single dog let alone an American bull dog.

all pits are American bull dogs.

A male owner will be most often suited to a female dog, a femal owner can be beter suited for home defence property protection with a male dog.

all of this depends on the individuals.

I love the breed as well. I had to put my pit down a few months back. She had some kind of tumor growing on her spleen. She was only 5 and we were going to have her spleen removed but the tumor was bleeding and she wasn't doing good. She bounced back a few days after and things were going good. Had blood work done all ready for surgery the following day. The day of her surgery I woke up with her barely breathing and cold to the touch. Rushed her to the vet and after a few hours of IV and blankets the hardest decision I've ever made was to put her down. I cried more for that dog than I have at friends and family member wakes.

I had that dog from when she was 8 weeks old and got her from a friend who owned both the mother and father, both pure breed pits.....I also had a cat that was about 10 when I got the pit. The pit was not very friendly with other animals. People though she would lick them to death and never ever showed aggression to friends or strangers. About 6 months before putting the pit down My family went to get a Christmas tree.....u know the cut your own....hot chocolate and fire going type places.....All happy and had a good time. We came home and found my cat dead in the house and it wasn't of natural causes....That great dog......had killed my cat. So you never know what could happen. I blame myself because I would usually put the cat in his own area of the house, the basement.....I closed the basement door but the cat never made it downstairs and he must have went down the stairs to his safe area and came upon a closed door and the pit trapped him and killed him.

After some time passed the traumatic experience was eventually forgiven....When it happened I swear I would've put a bullet in the dogs head....but dogs chase cats in friggin cartoons and also in real life.....

Someday I will get another one. Even after the horrible experience my family and I went through I still love the breed.

like was said before, do not get a dog,..pet,...crocodile, if you have to keep it seprate form your child, cat or pet crocodiles.

Respect that animal for what it is, raise her him with your family and dont look back.

-
Back