Please give me your feedback!

-

CUDACOX

Reaction score
I know this subject has been worn out by now but I'm up in the air about building a 904 to replace my 727 which is behind my little 318/390 stroker.
Can someone please tell me from experience just how much of a difference is expected with this swap? I have heard that the 904 with the lower first gear and lighter weight makes a big difference. Before I jump into this I really need more feedback! Thanks to all in advance!

Is it going to be just a street car? If so, my vote is to stick with the 727 if that's what you have.

The reality is on the street, you probally wont notice a real difference in performance. Not ALL 904s have the low first gear either. On the race track the 904 can be worth a 10th or so, depending on the car and engine build. In your case, with a torqey stroker motor, id stick with the 727, will be more durable in the long run.

Talk to the guys that did Scotts/Pettybludarts tranny. From what I understand good builders, and I think Scotts running a 904 and into the 10's

With 4 inch crank...i would use the standard gearing in the 904...

the 904 is approximately 35 lbs lighter with most that being internally rotating parts...

I switched from 727 to 904 back in 1993...the car picked up a good tenth and half...and the 904 converter was not as good as the 727....a properly build 904 will take a licking and keep on ticking...

all 3 cars in the signature below are 904s...and they are so simple to rebuild I do them myself...

I'd stick with the 727. Rebuild it with good clutches and a shift kit and let her rip....

With 4 inch crank...i would use the standard gearing in the 904...

the 904 is approximately 35 lbs lighter with most that being internally rotating parts...

I switched from 727 to 904 back in 1993...the car picked up a good tenth and half...and the 904 converter was not as good as the 727....a properly build 904 will take a licking and keep on ticking...

all 3 cars in the signature below are 904s...and they are so simple to rebuild I do them myself...

* So maybe it's not worth the expense of another rebuild and converter? I thought it would make more of a difference.Thank you for the feedback!

* So maybe it's not worth the expense of another rebuild and converter? I thought it would make more of a difference.Thank you for the feedback!

all depends on what .15 is worth to you.....as you get faster and faster....each .10 becomes more expensive...

all depends on what .15 is worth to you.....as you get faster and faster....each .10 becomes more expensive...

about sums it up the best. it all depends on what you are doing with the car, if its just a cruiser and its already together then why bother having to find a trans, build it, get a converter and get a drive shaft? if its a drag car and you are after every last bit to get the ET down then yes do the 904.

My Cuda is just a fun street/cruise car.
It's pretty quick as it sits...but...lol..
I'm grabbing another 727 and might have it built with a manual valve body,keep the almost new Turbo Action converter and see what that's like.. Thanks again to all!

Keeping the 727 just makes it easier for the GOD forbid in the future.
Enjoy!

I have to agree with the general consensus and say if it works and isn't costing you money at the time, then keep the 727.

Or, if it's reasonable for you to be able to pick up a 904 and build it tough as hell as you drive the heck out of the 727, then do that.

I have to agree with the general consensus and say if it works and isn't costing you money at the time, then keep the 727.

Or, if it's reasonable for you to be able to pick up a 904 and build it tough as hell as you drive the heck out of the 727, then do that.

Indeed! Thanks..

-
Back