Plymouth UTE 1964-65

-

64_Barracuda

Virginia Beach VA
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok Early A-Body friends, after my 65 Signet is done I will be starting down a long journey of either recreating a Early UTE from a 4-door or Wagon. I may even explore the possibility of taking a Barracuda and making it into an Explorer.

My question to all the Aussie friends is does anyone have any detailed pictures? or plans? I have seen some cars in restoration and you can see and tell that there was a 4 door model of some sort with the rear door hinges on the B pillar.

I would of course go out and by a UTE but none are to be had, looking to build a daily driver in my retirement project.

Attachments

• 6055.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 787
A blue valiant ute showed up in mopar muscle about 10 years ago. Someone imported it to california as I recall. If you can locate the issue maybe the nice folks at the magazine will have more detailed pictures than they used in the article. I am sure the photographer tooks dozens of pics even if they only used a handful.

The only other time I have seen a valiant ute in us media is the first crocodile dundee movie. At the very beginning when the us reporter lady shows up at the airport she is picked up in a olive green valiant ute.

I think you would be better off starting with a barracuda or 2dr valiant. The ute uses the door from a 2dr car not a 4dr. And the valiant wagons are pretty hard to find in solid condition. A few months ago there was a 2dr valiant on ebay that someone had chopped a hole in the roof for a sunroof, as far as I could tell that was all they did towards fixing it since everything else needed attention. A car like that would be a great starting point. I personally would like to see a well done conversion, good luck with your project.

Thanks! I already had these pictures but I did not know it was in Mopar Muscle! I am almost positive all the Aussie's where wagons. All of my contacts down there lean toward that. The door on the UTE is smaller than the hard top and sedans. The other thing is if I go with a 2 door I will loose some support and some room vice a wagon or 4 door. Finding a wagon in any decent shape is so hard to come by.

But its a project that I have always wanted to attempt. Now its just off to find enough pictures to get started.

There's a 65 Valiant wagon for sale on Moparts. I used to own it, and it's a decent car. The dude I sold it to is selling it, and it's located in Texas. Fair price for it too.

Greetings from Australia.

I was searching for something else and came across this thread by accident but I can offer some insights.

The Ute is based on a 4 door platform and most definitely does not use the longer doors from either a 2 door sedan or hardtop coupe.

If you want to recreate one, you'd be best starting with a wagon, that way you get the right front doors and the start of a replica tailgate.

Please don't carve up a Barracuda!

I found these photos of the B pillar and rear window from a ute that was on Aussie Ebay

ValUte.jpg

ValUte2.jpg

The Aussie front grill was also different

ValUte3.jpg

The area behind the seat was cantilevered at the window so there was a a parcel shelf behind the seat and a section at the front of the tray so the dogs had some shelter from the elements:laughing:

Feel free to PM me if you need anymore info, always happy to help another mopar fan.

Cheers

Steve
!965 Barracuda

Im on the other side of the fence, use a Barracuda and not a wagon. Wagons are soooo much harder to find than Barracudas.

Thanks Steve!!! Yes wagon it is that I need. If I am in Australia ever again I would love to buy one and ship it back. Thanks for the pictures and insight.

The man I bought my Valiant from up in Denver had a 65 Ute. The steering was even on the right side!!

He was gonna make it left hand driven with parts from one of the other 15 Valiants he had! I'm like wtf!! Leave it right hand drive!!

64- I'd peeve you off. I'd convert it to LHD as well. It's not to be an ***, it's due to safety. My dad was in the military and I have driven in LH and RH drive countries, as well as having Brit and Aussie neighbors who dealt with it- the novelty wears off quick and the "*** pucker" factor can be high. Ever try passing on a 2 lane road and its just you sitting on the passenger side? You either have to start your pass quite a ways back or chance getting hit head on. Crosswalks? Nobody is looking at the passenger side and they step off. Getting out of the car and the parking spot next to you is empty- and along comes somebody swooping in figuring you are just waiting because you are on the 'wrong' side and the car has been at rest since they noticed the space...yeah, it kills that 'cool' factor quick if it doesn't get you first.

I don't think I could convert an american car way to hard. I will either get a wagon or import an actual UTE if I ever fine one.

IMG_0159.jpg

I just remembered I took this pic at Chryslers on the Murray this year. This was a 4 door sedan before someone got really clever. Talk about one of none:toothy5:

I cant imagine where the stering box is on a v8, even a 6 would be tight.

64- I'd peeve you off. I'd convert it to LHD as well. It's not to be an ***, it's due to safety. My dad was in the military and I have driven in LH and RH drive countries, as well as having Brit and Aussie neighbors who dealt with it- the novelty wears off quick and the "*** pucker" factor can be high. Ever try passing on a 2 lane road and its just you sitting on the passenger side? You either have to start your pass quite a ways back or chance getting hit head on. Crosswalks? Nobody is looking at the passenger side and they step off. Getting out of the car and the parking spot next to you is empty- and along comes somebody swooping in figuring you are just waiting because you are on the 'wrong' side and the car has been at rest since they noticed the space...yeah, it kills that 'cool' factor quick if it doesn't get you first.

Lol, well it's not that I would get upset, just thought it would be cool to leave it as the factory built it and be driving it around here in the U.S. like that. However, reading what you wrote, I could see how well that would go down as well, LOL. :happy1:

Re the LHD / RHD thingy.
I am in Oz and have 3 LHD Mopars (and a RHD Mustang).
There are some drawbacks - mainly the passing (or overtaking) thing, but it's probably more a case of just getting used to it.

More to the point. Steve has posted some good advice re a ute (and there are still plenty down here that you could import to your place).
When I first got my Barracuda I kept looking at it from side on and thinking ... this would make a coooool ute! The problem for us down here is that there are only a very few Barracudas and we'd hate to see one carved up, so again, I'm with Steve - chew up a wagon.

Whichever way you go, why not keep the thread alive and let's know what you decide.
Good luck with your project.

Re the LHD / RHD thingy.
I am in Oz and have 3 LHD Mopars (and a RHD Mustang).
There are some drawbacks - mainly the passing (or overtaking) thing, but it's probably more a case of just getting used to it.

More to the point. Steve has posted some good advice re a ute (and there are still plenty down here that you could import to your place).
When I first got my Barracuda I kept looking at it from side on and thinking ... this would make a coooool ute! The problem for us down here is that there are only a very few Barracudas and we'd hate to see one carved up, so again, I'm with Steve - chew up a wagon.

Whichever way you go, why not keep the thread alive and let's know what you decide.
Good luck with your project.

Gary, Any good sites down under that would have cars for sale? Being in the Navy I have been to Australia, Importing would be best I agree!!!

Oh yes since the UTE is a wagon based if I had to cut one up thats what I will do, I think for money though importing or cutting would be about the same money.

I have looked on Ebay but never see UTE's on there…

Hi Rick, True, utes don't come up too often in Oz either. They were the rugged work horse of many a farmer and when they finally expired they were usually left to rust in the back paddock.

I've rescued 2 over the years but they are now getting thinner on the ground. Here are a couple on eBay at the moment

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VC-VALIA...-/110980106809?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item19d6ee0a39

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/70-VG-VA...-/261128277485?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item3ccc754ded

Mopar Market is sometimes worth a look.... http://www.moparmarket.com/classifieds_list.php?type=regular&category=Cars

And the commercial car sites like carsales http://www.carsales.com.au/car/bran...Price:Min,Max~0.5&find=ute|CarAll&keyword=ute

If I spot anything in my travels, I'm happy to pm you the details. I think it's only fair to send a ute stateside as compensation for all the US Mopars that have been landed down here over the past few years :sign5:

I can send you all the ute pics you want. As far as driving them its awkward at 1st but you get used to it. definitly need dual sideviews. The Bayer boys imported the blue one in the 90's. Brian died from cancer back in Jan. I talked to his brother Kenny last summer.Brians girlfriend was laying claim to the brothers acres of mopar. in Douglasville Gdeorgia. # weeks ago I was flying through Atlanta and called Kenny and th enumber was disconected. Bummer.
Why not cut up a sedan? I've got a donor or3 laying around.

Attachments

• IMG_2611:404.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_2614:192.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 399
-
Back