Post or Non-Post Cars?

-

ardentindustries

Reaction score
Hey all,
New guy here. I didnt post in the welcome wagon first, but dont hate me. Im from California, and have grown up around Mopars all my life. My family has always been into drag racing, and currently we travel as a family, helping my uncle with his 7 second car.
Anyways, my younger brother recently turned 15. He's now looking for a car and wants an A-body. Preferably a 67-69 Dart. I found a 68 Dart locally, thats not a bad car, but is a /6 car so it has drum brakes, small rearend, etc. I got the guy from $1500, to $900, and its a running driving car, with one small rust area on the right rear lower quarter. We have a fresh 318 sitting on an engine stand at the house.
The only issue my father brought up(who is the Mopar guy in the family), is the fact that its a post car. My brother says this doesnt bother him, but I dont want him to buy it and then not like it later on.
So...my question to everyone is...whats your opinion on a post vs. non-post car? Maybe I can see what others think, and make a better educated decision. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Kyle Curley

WOW! I need to be educated on this. What exactly does Post mean? I've never heard of that term before. Oh, Welcome to the group Kyle.

Personally, I like the post cars. Take a look at the "what can you fit a Hemi into" thread and check out the blown post Valiant in the one vid. Take a look at Ehrenberg's Green Brick. Something about the post always makes the car look right, in my opinion.

I'm partial to post cars (sedan) right now which is why I'm working on my '68 Valiant.

Post cars were typically lower priced when sold new. They also tended to be stiffer and lighter than hardtop cars, thus making them the favorite of drag racers. History lesson behind us, it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer the styling of the hardtop cars, but the nostalgia racer might prefer the post car. Blown hemi post car mentioned above is a great example.

well to answer galactic eyes post cars have the extra post behind the door seperating the driver/pass door window to the rear passenger window..
From what I have seen they added more structural integrity and were a little lighter because of that since it didnt need extra stiffening elswere to compensate, and when getting into pricing on cars depending on the car post cars are worth more money to certain people.... its also the look too when you have all the windows down in a no-post car its 1 huge open space that some people dislike... but all and all it comes down to preference. The only real differnce you will noticibly see is when the windows are down really.
So tell him to look at a few post/ no post cars finished.. and see what he prefers or if he really cares.

post,hard top,fast back,convertible, = COOL
4 door = not so much
always remember the FIRST rule is build what you want!

For the '67 -'69 body style,they only made the post car in '67 '68,dropped it in '69,,,,so they are rarer.Personally i like the fact that the door windows are in a frame.For 900 bucks,you better grab it.

i like the look of the non-post cars. its all personal preference.

9-7-09002-2.jpg

9-7-09003-2.jpg

9-7-09004-2.jpg

9-7-09005-2.jpg

9-7-09008-2.jpg

9-7-09010-2.jpg

9-7-09011-2.jpg

9-7-09013-3.jpg

My '71 Scamp is a non post car and I love it....There's just something about the look when all the windows are rolled down. Just my $.02

well to answer galactic eyes post cars have the extra post behind the door seperating the driver/pass door window to the rear passenger window..
From what I have seen they added more structural integrity and were a little lighter because of that since it didnt need extra stiffening elswere to compensate, and when getting into pricing on cars depending on the car post cars are worth more money to certain people.... its also the look too when you have all the windows down in a no-post car its 1 huge open space that some people dislike... but all and all it comes down to preference. The only real differnce you will noticibly see is when the windows are down really.
So tell him to look at a few post/ no post cars finished.. and see what he prefers or if he really cares.
Now I know what you are talking about. Thinking back I do remember hearing the term post but never understood what it meant. Thanks.
Post or non-post, it doesn't matter to me. I'm just glad I own a Mopar.

abodyjoe,
...but 99 of 100 1964 Hemi Super Stock cars were post cars. The odd one was ordered as a Max Wedge car but built as a Hemi.

And I have ridden in it

64dodgepolara2.jpg

I don't like post cars after '67. Prior to that, a lot of the post cars are the better looking cars.

The biggest thing for me is that - I believe - the post cars use the 4-door windshield and rear window. It's taller and makes it look like a family car - not as agressive. The difference is pretty clear in Joe's comparison pics.

I'm definitely a hardtop (non-post) car guy.....everytime I see an awesome post car I say "that's niiiiice"....but when I see an awesome hardtop I say "that's bad AASSSSSSS!!!". I dunno....I'm pretty much into looks....to me, the post cars have a certain "functionality" look that is cool and all-business and I know about them being more rigid etc.....just....gimme the cool looking one, thanks.

I'm working on a '69 Valiant 100 2 door post now, it should be ready to drive in the spring sometime.

roof.jpg

frontend one.jpg

interior.jpg

curleysracecars- just for clarification- you are talking 2dr post not 4dr sedan, right?

Good question, Brian. Some of us hear "post" and think of the 2 door without considering the 4 door...which in my case is a D'Oh! (But maybe that explains why I like the post cars.)

Welcome to FABO, Kyle. You should have fun here!
The previous comments are all correct. The post cars are lighter and the body structure is more rigid due to the sedan post structure which makes them better for racing. You'll also be able to build a better 'sleeper' out of a post car: drab paint, wide steelies, no 'flash'.
But hardtops have the better 'musclecar' look, especially when cruising with all the windows down. My personal taste is for the hardtop - that's what my current '69 Dart build is based on.
It's all about personal taste, and at 15 your brother will probably be happy with anything with 4 wheels that runs. I agree with you, make sure he's happy with what he's going to have for the future and won't want to do something else in another year.

-
Back