Pro Touring 10K

-

prrc

Reaction score
Well heres the story. After see a 66 Valiant at Columbus good guys 2 years ago. I have been on the look out for a really nice Early A body to build for myself.I build cars every day and have not had a car of my own since 2001. WOW I'm way over due.
So a Google search turn up here. To this forum. That I didn't even know existed. Long story short I started looking through the cars for sale section. And in a few minutes I had come across a listing for very clean all original 1965 Dart. A couple PM's later I struck a deal. So a 15hr drive one way were in the plans to go get the car.
After doing a little digging in the forums I came across the build thread of Tincups 63 Dart. Well the wheels started turning for a high dollar build. Not really my original plan. So after a few days of posting some questions about the early A bodies ( another thread I started with some info on the car and a little about me-See 1965 Dart with questions) I have decided to go back to my original plan.
So heres what the plan will be for the Dart.
Stip the car to its shell for a repaint top to bottom. In it's original color or something very close but in a fine metalic.A new set of Rushforth wheels in 18x10 for the rear and 18x7 up front running a Mickey Thompson 28x12x18 street radial ans BF Good rich KDW IIs in a 225x40x18 in front. Set the car low over the tires using some components from Firm Feel. Add some mini tub's to the rear to get the big Mickeys setting well under the car. Narrow a Ford 9" and build a new relocation spring set up for the rear. Add a disc brake set up from a later A body car.
Re use all the mint condition interior, New carpet was just added to the car right before I bought it. I could use some new door panels and arm rest. So I will get a set from Legendary interiors.The Slant six will need to find a new home. I will be on the look out for a small block and trans to fresh'n up and transplant. A FAST EZ EFI will also be added. As I plan on driving the wheels off this car. All of this for 10K or less.Stay tuned for build pictures as I go. in the mean time here is my starting point. And the mock up of the wheels I will be using along with the Valiant that started my down this path.

View attachment DSCF0224.jpg

View attachment DSCF0225.jpg

View attachment DSCF0234.jpg

View attachment DSCF0230.jpg

View attachment DSCF0409.jpg

View attachment DSCF0408.jpg

View attachment Dart%20001.jpg

View attachment l_cdc81b5cd32731ff2e6bad18d523fb65.jpg

I was wondering what you were planning for this build. I enjoy seeing your work on other forums and can't wait to see what you do with it.

Your 65 is so clean and straight. It will make a great street ride. I like your plan. I have more photos of that light blue Valiant on my other computer which is at the repair shop. Keep those photos comin' toolmanmike

Thanks Will, I have been watching your build thread on PT as well. I just need to keep this one simple. I don't want to spend two years or more building a car for myself.
I was wondering what you were planning for this build. I enjoy seeing your work on other forums and can't wait to see what you do with it.

I like your thinkin'....and your shop (business)...I checked out your website

you obviously know what your doing and followed to a tee....BUILD RULE #1....find the cleanest,rust-free,non molested (non race-car) grandma driven/everything there, virgin (yes, I said it) piece you can find.

but 10k?...is that what you told your wife?....come on!!...it's US your talkin too....but its OK as long as your build gets the green light....after that...well..it's kinda like a government project...you know....justification???..means...gotta have it!!

let a little ball bustin' begin.....

hope my comments don't get me barred from your shop...I really would like to visit you guys sometime...

Mopar to ya'
Denny

So you have seen the Valiant as well. I believe the guys name is Scott. But thats about all I know about him. Do you live in or around Indy? If so stop by some time.
Tim
Your 65 is so clean and straight. It will make a great street ride. I like your plan. I have more photos of that light blue Valiant on my other computer which is at the repair shop. Keep those photos comin' toolmanmike

HemiDenny, yep your right finding the cleanest car you can saves a lot of time in sheet metal work and headache. Altough in the past a lot of people don't agree with this. They believe a car such as I am building should be a rust bucket instead of an original car.I see there point, But I know from past experiance , Just as you said the better the starting point the easier the task will be and much more cost effective.
As for the 10K , Yes I think I can get it done for that.
Do I have some advantages, Yes without a doubt. As most of the cars we paint in our shop would blow the budget right off the bat. Parts although there is not nearly the markup people think there is in aftermarket parts I willl be buying at my cost. So that helps as well. My time is considered free. So it will be close on cost. I will just have to see if I can stick to it.
Band from the shop. No way, We are all car guys at the shop just like everone here. Just regular guys lucky enough to do what we like to do and make a living at it. Stop by anytime you want. Even if just to say Hi and poke around the shop to see whats there.
Tim
I like your thinkin'....and your shop (business)...I checked out your website

you obviously know what your doing and followed to a tee....BUILD RULE #1....find the cleanest,rust-free,non molested (non race-car) grandma driven/everything there, virgin (yes, I said it) piece you can find.

but 10k?...is that what you told your wife?....come on!!...it's US your talkin too....but its OK as long as your build gets the green light....after that...well..it's kinda like a government project...you know....justification???..means...gotta have it!!

let a little ball bustin' begin.....

hope my comments don't get me barred from your shop...I really would like to visit you guys sometime...

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Hey, Tim welcome to the site. That's a cool little car. I hope you can make your budget
10k is hard! Good Luck I'll be following.

Hey I've got a 10K pro touring also, of course I'm just starting.....you definatley have a parts advantage but 10K...lets see Fast EZ EFI system $1800, Rushforth wheels and tires $2200-2500, engine/trans combo rebuilt with accessories(headers,electrical,converter...ect) $5000.00 mininum, suspension mods and upgrades(to really be pro Touring) $2000.......Budget blown minus your 20-30% parts discount....I'll be watching maybe a I can pick up a few money saving tips...great starting point...I should have started with a rust free car damn it!!!!!!!!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thanks, Yes 10K will be a tough.QUOTE=f8valiant;1510200]Hey, Tim welcome to the site. That's a cool little car. I hope you can make your budget
10k is hard! Good Luck I'll be following.[/QUOTE]

Yeh your right it will be tough to get done on 10K. Even with my dealer discounts. Who knows maybe I'm dream'n. I will be calling in a favors I have out there to get a break were ever I can. Having the shop helps a ton. We do everything in house but the motor and trans build, But I have sources for that also. Everyone is right it will be a tough go. I will try and keep a running total of my cost total cost compared to retail pricing and see were it really should have been for a real build cost.
Ok strip the car to bare metal top and bottom, body work( Not much on this car) Material /paint and buff? Ok Budget blown real world price if you can't do it yourself. 10-14K
OK maybe not a good example of real world cost. But I'm still hoping for 10K out of pocket for me.
Hey I've got a 10K pro touring also, of course I'm just starting.....you definatley have a parts advantage but 10K...lets see Fast EZ EFI system $1800, Rushforth wheels and tires $2200-2500, engine/trans combo rebuilt with accessories(headers,electrical,converter...ect) $5000.00 mininum, suspension mods and upgrades(to really be pro Touring) $2000.......Budget blown minus your 20-30% parts discount....I'll be watching maybe a I can pick up a few money saving tips...great starting point...I should have started with a rust free car damn it!!!!!!!!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Tim,

thanks for the invite and I hope you enjoy the ball-bustin,....because besides gettin all our "expert" advice...you'll get plenty of it.

you have the advantage of not only buying you goodies "right"...but the experience/knowledge to allow you to do it right the first time....savings tons of R&D, do-over time, and money......probably a big selling point of your business

that said...welcome......it's good to have you aboard!

Hey, welcome aboard and I'm looking forward to your build. I like the low buck aspect of it, even if you do "blow" the budget, it'll show what a real world car can be. I've been kinda bummed how the "Pro-touring" thing has kind of turned into bling laden gizmo wagons. Excluding labor, what are paint costs in your neck of the woods?

Dump the bling rims for something half the price in that size. Then exchange the EFI for a good carb and you'll be there.

Well there are all kinds of price lines on paint, We use Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000. Not cheap but I really like the paint line. Depending on color choice we estimate between 2500-3000 for material.
Hey, welcome aboard and I'm looking forward to your build. I like the low buck aspect of it, even if you do "blow" the budget, it'll show what a real world car can be. I've been kinda bummed how the "Pro-touring" thing has kind of turned into bling laden gizmo wagons. Excluding labor, what are paint costs in your neck of the woods?

Thanks for the welcome. Really looking forward to getting started and having some fun with a car of my own again.

Welcome to the site and oh boy, you have met the bulk of the ball busters! I will follow this build for sure. 10K? yekes, good luck with that. I tried to trade off services to the body shop but they couldn't eat 7 to 9 thousand dollars worth of Pizza! one more thing..... Tin's build is off the charts cool..... Now get to work!

I remember seeing this car for sale here last year.Nice clean car to start your project with.If I remember the car had wooden sun visors?I would,ve loved to buy this car,but all the good cars are always south of the border from me.Are you going with a LA360/904/8 3/4?Will be watching your build.

OOPS just read the 9 inch Furd rear.

Yep thats the car. You wouldn't believe what I bought the for.Any guesses? Anyway. The Ford 9" wouldn't be my first choice. although a good rear end. I would have rather had a 8 3/4. But I have a 75 Duster offered to me. An X racer in pretty bad shape. No motor or trans. But a fresh 9" under the car with 4.56 gears. A v8 K member. The drop center link I need to convert my car from a slant 6 to V8. Also has disc brake set up. I will sell off what I dont use. 400 bucks buys the car. I think I can resale some of the other parts and make at least half my money back. I'm hoping anyway. It would be nice to find a car with a 8 3/4 rear disc set up and a v8 to rebuild. But no luck so far with a gem like that.
I remember seeing this car for sale here last year.Nice clean car to start your project with.If I remember the car had wooden sun visors?I would,ve loved to buy this car,but all the good cars are always south of the border from me.Are you going with a LA360/904/8 3/4?Will be watching your build.

OOPS just read the 9 inch Furd rear.

Welcome Aboard Tim, Looking forward to watching this build. It's funny, but that blue Valiant was part of my inspiration as well, I saw it for sale a few years ago on Ebay. Oh, and thanks for the comments.

No problem Tincup, You have a great build going. I watch all the time for updates. Seems the Valiant has inspired a couple of us to look at the early A body cars.
Welcome Aboard Tim, Looking forward to watching this build. It's funny, but that blue Valiant was part of my inspiration as well, I saw it for sale a few years ago on Ebay. Oh, and thanks for the comments.

Well day 1 and already a problem. Ordered the tires from our warehouse for a better visual for what it's going to take to get the Mickeys under the car. Well They will slide under OK with a mini tub. But it s not going to sit down over the tires low enough with out a full tub or a shorter tire.
So back to the drawing board. Might have to use the same tires as Tincup. Not really much smaller anyway.
Day one ......A flop.

hit the easy button....full tub....no necessarily for the width.....but for the height.....one that goes way up into the body

its wheally not worth doin'...unless you do it right....
Elmer Fudd

-
Back