Project: "Daddy's Cool Cool Green Green Car" Build

-
Do you plan on any sand blasting ? how is it under the car,any isues there.keep posting this will be interesting to see it in the end.Your also luckly to have a wife thats ok with your build,keep telling her it keeps me out of the bars.

Nice car. Don't know why, but I like that color. LOL!

The Duster at Mopars in the Park.jpg

Do you plan on any sand blasting ? how is it under the car,any isues there.keep posting this will be interesting to see it in the end.Your also luckly to have a wife thats ok with your build,keep telling her it keeps me out of the bars.

I'm going to rent a blaster (looking into soda), and take care of all the engine bay and frame stuff....I'm not going to blast any of the body panels for fear of warping, the car is really straight and bondo free.

The frame is pretty good, but I found a thin spot on the left rear frame rail....The right floor has a few small holes, but not near the frame.

As far as the wife, she's great but we now have a new baby girl and a lot more of my time is needed to maintain what little sanity is left with 3 kids in the house!....My time in the garage is now limited to after the two little ones are sleeping!

So you should have it done in a week or so right? ha, ha.

Looks like you know what the hell you're doing.

Lemme guess, you quit school because of recess, you don't play no games.

Good luck with the project and Daddy's three little angels.

Be prepared !! Blasting can reveal lots more rot. I would blast with the soda if your going to do it. Much less harmfull and destructive. Safe for trim,chrome etc.

Cool project; great progress. I agree with your daughter...daddy's green car is cool!

I'm going to rent a blaster (looking into soda), and take care of all the engine bay and frame stuff....I'm not going to blast any of the body panels for fear of warping, the car is really straight and bondo free.
QUOTE]

cool project!!
i do soda blasting, soda doesnt remove rust, just paint and filler. your engine bay will be clean but still have rusty spots. i use 50-100 crushed glass on underhood and floors and they come out great. soda is good for the body panels as it will not warp anything.
soda- body
glass- floors,underhood,trunk, underside.

been experementing with garnet lately. nice stuff to blast with. agressive though but leaves a nice finish

here is a cuda i blasted for a friend.

cuda69.JPG

i noticed with my little guy, hes 10 months, everything takes me a whole lot longer. itll all get done, eventually...

QUOTE]

cool project!!
i do soda blasting, soda doesnt remove rust, just paint and filler. your engine bay will be clean but still have rusty spots. i use 50-100 crushed glass on underhood and floors and they come out great. soda is good for the body panels as it will not warp anything.
soda- body
glass- floors,underhood,trunk, underside.

been experementing with garnet lately. nice stuff to blast with. agressive though but leaves a nice finish

here is a cuda i blasted for a friend.

Thanks for the knowledge....You wouldn't happen to be in Jersey, would you?

I apologize for cutting in but you mentioned that you prefer glass to sand,walnut shells and soda..home many times can you use the glass before you have to toss it ?

Thanks
ian.

I have cycled my glass well over 10 tens before it was too dirty. It also tends to not cut as fast when well used,so builds up heat.

A guy was really pushing for me to use glass over sand..crushed glass here is @ 10 bucks for 50 pounds and 55 pounds of glass beads @ 40 bucks with a two hour drive..we have a lot of sand around here but I gather that it is too harsh..wouldn'y you just dial down the pressure ?

Thanks
Ian.

Update:

Finally got to spend some time away from the wife and kiddies by getting some "garage time". Switched on the tv, cracked a few beers and got to work!

Swapped the wheels on the dollies and found I also needed some strategically placed bracing to aviod a disaster....They seem to finally work well.

Then it was on to some welding....You can see in the pix that the right side inner fender rail was so badly rusted that I just cut it off all together and fabbed a new piece of metal in its place....Also, the inner fender itself had it's share of rust, so I templated with cardboard and fabbed a piece there as well.

With my VERY limited welding skills and a cheap 110v stick welder, I think I did pretty well....I'm happy with it.

If anybody can help, I have two questions:

First, after replacing the inner fender rail, I need to create the oblong hole for the fender clip....Does anyone know a simple way to recreate the factory hole?

Second, I need to finish the welds with filler and hope someone here has done something similar....Is a typical body filler flexable enough to resist cracking?....Should I use gorilla hair (fiberglass), or is there something better?

Thanks!

Front Dollies:
IMG_3984.jpg

Rear Dollies:
IMG_3988.jpg

Inner Fender and Rail Before:
IMG_2443.jpg

Cardboard Template and Donor Metal from one of the original fenders which was hit at the headlight.
IMG_4035.jpg

Inner Fender and Rail After:
IMG_4038.jpg

Good work man! I read somewhere of using lead solder to seal welds. But someone here probably knows something better as I am no body man. lol

If you have acess to it a die grinder with a carbide bit works well for recreating a oval hole or any shape hole for that matter.

dude! you need to pick up a little mig. will make your life a whole lot easier. for the slot just drill 2 holes and hit it with the die grinder. do you still have the fender? i need the little tabs that mount the grill support even if i can just copy it. im putting the early grill on my duster. i did my engine compartment rust repairs similar to yours, but i only rattle canned it. it was a quick job, i just used regular bondo which is by no means the best filler. it has held up fine for the last 10 years.

dude! you need to pick up a little mig. will make your life a whole lot easier. for the slot just drill 2 holes and hit it with the die grinder. do you still have the fender? i need the little tabs that mount the grill support even if i can just copy it. im putting the early grill on my duster. i did my engine compartment rust repairs similar to yours, but i only rattle canned it. it was a quick job, i just used regular bondo which is by no means the best filler. it has held up fine for the last 10 years.

Thanks JD....I'm thinking of a mig, but my knowledge base of what to get is low....What voltage, gas or no gas?....What will work for the light work I'm doing?

do you have 220 in your garage? im a welder so i can steer you in the right direction.

Sassy Grass, Did you buy your car in Williamstown Nj? A guy in williamstown had one exactly like yours. He bought it off an old guy in Sewell for $500. I went back to buy it the day after I saw it for sale but he beat me to it. Found it a second time, In williamstown, then it dissappeared again! Great stating point man if thats the car. It looked decent and complete when I saw it.

do you have 220 in your garage? im a welder so i can steer you in the right direction.

I am a builder by trade and my electrician can install a 220 line in my garage....I've spoken to him about it already.

Sassy Grass, Did you buy your car in Williamstown Nj? A guy in williamstown had one exactly like yours. He bought it off an old guy in Sewell for $500. I went back to buy it the day after I saw it for sale but he beat me to it. Found it a second time, In williamstown, then it dissappeared again! Great stating point man if thats the car. It looked decent and complete when I saw it.

I bought it from a guy named Brandon in Mullica Hill NJ....The car is all original and a great starting point for the build I have in mind....Just the typical rust issues that most of us here on the east coast have to deal with!

i remember 2 sassy grass scamps on CL at the same time. i thought that was wierd.

Damn 2? I missed out on both! I was looking for a daily drivable slant 6 car at the time
But figured I better stay focused on my 71 Swinger. lol

Looks like I'm done for the night....Got most of the engine bay disassembled, moved on to getting the heater box out, and while trying to unscrew one of the cables, I jammed a phillips head screwdriver right into my palm....Almost came out the other side!....Think I nicked a few nerves, fingers are tingling a bit....You can see an + in the skin from the head of the screwdriver.

Bad news is....I broke the heater box as well....Anybody got a spare?!

IMG_4119.jpg

the guy i told you about with the duster had one but it might be gone now.

-
Back