rate this stuff for add some horses on a 318

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
cheerio my fabo-mates

some weeks ago i started some threads about "what to do with a 318"

thanks to all spending their time to share my their suggestions...

and also thanks to all who tried to carry me to a 360 (but due to the fact, that i have the 318 teener allready laying in my garage and that 360s are not laying around on junkyards in Germany i still go on with my little teenie engine)

anyway ... decisions are made.. and parts are collect or on their way to my home

therefore pls judge what this combo will press out of a little 318

block: 318 from 1969 030 over

heads: stock 318 heads with small valves (ported, polished, gasketmatching) 64cc

camshaft: XE274H from comp cams. http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=628&sb=2

stronger springs matching that cam

intake: Edelbrock performer RPM (also slightly ported, gasket matching) (maybe i will play around with some spacers 1 or 2" - the hood should not be the limit; if necessary i will take my spare hood and cut a hole in it :-D)

pistons: KB 399 hypereutectic domed pistons
http://www.kb-silvolite.com/kb_car/performance.php?action=details&P_id=398

carburator: not decided yet, but i guess i will give it a try with my 525cfm road demon

also having a windage tray (laying around in my garage) to free up the crankshaft

and also obtained a /6 converter to bring up the stallspeed (we guess it will rise up the stall about 600 to 800 rpm compared to the stock V8 one)

tranny will be a 904 pushbutton

rearend 8 3/4 with 3,23:1 (sure grip) 26" tall tire

approx weight of the fish 2900 lbs (maybe a little bit more maybe a little bit less)

exhaust: selfmade headers with 1 3/4 tubes into a 3"collector - dual exhaust with 2,5" tubes (mufflers turbo style low restriction, maybe dynomax - not decided yet)

so what do you think about this stuff

Hi Timo,

sounds nice so far, but check if the heads can take the valve lift the new cam will make - i´m not sure about this. I´d use a higher rear ratio....but it depends on what you want from the car.

good luck with your build!

Michel

looks like a good setup so far I prefer Forged pistons but plenty of people like Hypers for mild buildups. I would avoid the demon carb. They are known to have bad quality issues part of the reason they went out of business. I would go with a Holley or even an AFB style carb.

Is there a big tax on importing american parts to Germany?

Not sure what compression ratio you're looking for. The 399's (like the flat top 167's) have a higher compression height than stock (1.81"), so the pistons won't be down in the holes much if any. If you have 64 cc chambers and the pistons are close to the deck (as they should be, even if the stock pistons were .1" down) you could easily see a compression ratio at or above 11:1 with that combo, which could mean race gas only with the stock cast iron heads.

And I would check valve to piston clearance with the domes. Shouldn't be an issue but I would check it.

525cfm will be on the small side for that engine, especially with that compression ratio. I'd suggest at least 600cfm, maybe 650.

looks like a good setup so far I prefer Forged pistons but plenty of people like Hypers for mild buildups. I would avoid the demon carb. They are known to have bad quality issues part of the reason they went out of business. I would go with a Holley or even an AFB style carb.

Is there a big tax on importing american parts to Germany?

we have to add about 20% for taxes and custom fees - the tricky thing on this one is: the calculaction will be made on the purchase plus shipping fees (so if you like to import a heavy or a large part (with high shipping costs or expensiv airfreight fees) you will pay a lot more than often expected when looking for a part in the states)

if it were me i would probably put a little more thought into carb and valve size. sounds to me like you have a 2 bbl head which means that the intake valve is about 1.74 and exhaust is about 1.50 no matter how well they are ported or gasket matched flow will still be down. for the carb i would go with a 650 holley double pumper not too much and that is about it

I am thinking some 1.88" intake and 1.6" exhaust valves would be fine plus a good bowl job.
And a 625AVS with a 1" single plane spacer.
Maybe remove the dividing wall in the intake or just break the edges under the spacer.
The rest sounds really nice!

we have to add about 20% for taxes and custom fees - the tricky thing on this one is: the calculaction will be made on the purchase plus shipping fees (so if you like to import a heavy or a large part (with high shipping costs or expensiv airfreight fees) you will pay a lot more than often expected when looking for a part in the states)

I feel your pain Timo, we have the same set-up in the UK only with 20% tax and 5% import duty, also including shipping fees. RHS/Indy iron heads have my name written all over them but those hefty shipping costs will be a double whammy!

Like the look of the combo. My 318 has 2.02/1.60 valves in the stock heads which is overkill for those little ports but now I'm going 390, so new heads it is! You may also struggle matching the ports to the RPM intake.

Regards

Jamie

I understand that we have to pay taxes for the parts but why the shipping?? I looked for TTI Headers from Germany and Sweden, didnt get a better offer there than from Finland. Wish I could live in the states, building MoPars would be so much cheaper.. Sorry for Offtopic.

you need to get a good valve job to complement a bigger carb. I have a holly 600 on my 65 cuda with 318. I had a 66 wich I raced with same combo but bigger 8 3/4 rear and 3.55 gears. That car ran low 14's and very consistent. My 65 only runs high 15's and 16.0 but has 7 1/4 rear and milder 318. You can make the 318 go nice in that car with good combo and engine build. I also had my heads pocket ported for more Hp. As the guys say it was a 2bbl motor and you want to make it 4bbl w/ some umph! Look at Mopar Muscle I am sure there are some good 318 builds there to use as a guide.

Keep the Mopar fever alive in Europe, way to go!

mopar and cheap don't go together no matter where you live!!! the 1.88/1.60 valves will really wake that thing up maybe go a little taller on the tire

just a teaser how the pistons will look sitting in the block

image00001gc.jpg

image00002aq.jpg

image00003na.jpg

image00004h.jpg

I think the cam might be too big for the heads and gears, I think a comp 268he or 270m would have been good choice. Probably still run well though.

hey folks.. it´s been a while since my last post about my ideas to push up a 318 teener... i´ve had some issues to solve like extreme oil-temp. pinging caused by the german fuel-rate,
excessiv heat under the hood caused by home made longtube headers
over-carbed set up...etc...etc...

but i ended up with a nice and...well...i would say...fun making...set-up

318 030 over
domed KB pistons
stock heads (home made port job - runners - bowl etc..) but still stock valve size
stiffer springs
XE274H cam
edelbrock performer rpm intake (which cost me a some torque at lower rpm i think)
holley 4bbl 670cfm
home/custom made longtube headers, the collector is nearl located under the drivers seat
3:23 gears with positration

made about 3.5k miles at the last summer with this set up - and had a lot of fun :burnout:

normally the fish will stay in the garage during winter month - but yesterday we got 8 degress Celsius plus (don´t really know what this will be in Fahrenheit) anyway... i decided to wake up the fish and make some more miles around the town... so here are some hand-vids made yesterday afternoon (unfort. no driving vids coz. i got no camara-child to hold my phone during driving)

[ame="http://youtu.be/ksE2gqzuVAs"]302 Found[/ame]

[ame="http://youtu.be/ElE4l-cA46o"]302 Found[/ame]

[ame="http://youtu.be/-fPFge-sb74"]302 Found[/ame]

Via a Goggle search, 8 degrees Celsius = 46.4 degrees Fahrenheit, which is a nice day for winter, no doubt!
Did you port the head to match the head or gasket window size? Should you be so inclined to do more head work, do that and add 360 size valves.

http://www.ferrea.com/

http://www.ferrea.com/domestic-valves-6000-series-competition-valves.php

F6247 I 1.880 3/8 4.980 .225 12º Super Flo.
F6244 E 1.600 3/8 4.970 .225 15º Super Flo.

The intake probably did cost you a little torque down low with the head and valve combo.

I like the way it sounds, nice car.

Sounds good. Nice car. If you are keeping the 670, you should go with bigger valves like Rumblefish said, otherwise, try a 600. The valves would probably also get you back some of the torque the intake cost you.

I had my heads cut from a 1.88 to a 2.02, just handed him bare heads and 1 valve and the guy did it for me 20 bucks a head. Im sure you can get some 3/8 valves over there. I took a grinder and opened up the choke behind the valve face to 90% per porting instructions. Thats pretty EZ for a big port head. You already opened the port to the 360 size. German gas is WAY better than the turpentine we have here. Your 100 super is ~95 octane here, pretty good stuff.

Sounds like a fun little car!

I think you should consider 3.5 gears with a 26" tyre - its a nice compromise between street and strip - and will hold a 70 MPH cruising speed at around 2750 RPM which won't kill your valve springs with with your cam.

Just don't expect to keep up with the M3s and the AMGs on the "Bahn" ...but it'll scare the 335's in the back streets ;)

thanks for your comments
@rumblefish360 - the heads are prep´d to match the ede-performer-intake .. in my former thread
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=120510
can been seen how i started....
...unfort. i have no pics how i ended... i spended some more hours (40 or 50 i guess) to finish them

-a big thank you to my swedish friend Gustav, for giving me the right hints to do a proper job. He also was the man when it comes to create and design headers for the fish, and in fact he spended about 7 hours calculating flow etc for each side and getting them into the enginebay was really a pain in the arse.. (yes there was a point, he stated, that he must be sick, when he told me, that he would fabricate me some headers, and he would feel better, if we have never met each other...)
it took about 6 hours each side to weld the headers and get them on the engine
they are specially designed with extra long tubes to balance the smaller stock valves

the goal was to build a "funmaking teeny screamer" on the lowest possible budget

@64physhy ... hmm... maybe worth a try next spring ... if i could find a 600cfm Holley (may resting un-used in a garage of one of my friends) i will do a swap and test.

@pistha - 20 bucks for the valve job, that´s pretty cheap, the engine-shop i asked will take 35 for each valve !
conc. the fuel - now i use: Shell V-Power Racing or Aral ultimate both shoud have over 100octan or octanbooster on superplus standard fuel.

@rat patrol - i often thought about a stepper gear, but at this time no money for a swap, as i had to finish my wife valiant, which rest´s now nearly 11 monts in front of the garage, due to a brocken engine

Got any pictures of those long tube headers?

unfort. no detail pics or from the finished style (surface)
but some done with the phone during fabrication

most of the pictures showing details are made by guy who welded them and as he runs an offic Hot-Rod-shop, he also asked not to show them in the web or other public places

image00009m.jpg

image00008wg.jpg

image00007m.jpg

image00006ty.jpg

and one pic from the testdrive after break in ..... i know the exhaust is way to low, it will be corrected this spring, it was mounted this way to do some test driving, but still last now 7 months ...

dsc00362yf.jpg

-
Back