Resistor VS non Resistor spark plugs

-
I think this is the same as arguing about the air resistance caused by the ink of a marker on a PGA Tour pro's golf ball and how it will affect it's flight. For some reason my director found the need to have me admit that yes, there is some form of frictional change empirically speaking. But in terms of affect... Nothing, and not even worth a debate.

Is there a difference? Certainly. Will it make such a difference that switching plugs will ad feelable power? Only if the plugs in it are not right, dirty, obstructed by carbon or ground strap placement, or worn. Meaning you have other issues. In terms of pro racers and OEMs, they use them because of the RFI affects on other systems. Not ignition output. They've had more than enough power for decades now. But they cant have multiplexed circuits getting any RFI from the ignition. Pro cars have almost as many engine monitoring systems as street cars. Dataloggers, ignition systems, fuel pumps, timers, etc. all can be affected by RFI. The radio is irrelevent and most radios will not be affected by plugs alone. Switch to solid core wires and you'll hear the RFI... You can hear it in the cars around you if they have windows down and tunes cranked. A plug is already encased in ceramic insulator and the "leakage" is minor compared to other sources.

I think this is the same as arguing about the air resistance caused by the ink of a marker on a PGA Tour pro's golf ball and how it will affect it's flight. For some reason my director found the need to have me admit that yes, there is some form of frictional change empirically speaking. But in terms of affect... Nothing, and not even worth a debate.

Is there a difference? Certainly. Will it make such a difference that switching plugs will ad feelable power? Only if the plugs in it are not right, dirty, obstructed by carbon or ground strap placement, or worn. Meaning you have other issues. In terms of pro racers and OEMs, they use them because of the RFI affects on other systems. Not ignition output. They've had more than enough power for decades now. But they cant have multiplexed circuits getting any RFI from the ignition. Pro cars have almost as many engine monitoring systems as street cars. Dataloggers, ignition systems, fuel pumps, timers, etc. all can be affected by RFI. The radio is irrelevent and most radios will not be affected by plugs alone. Switch to solid core wires and you'll hear the RFI... You can hear it in the cars around you if they have windows down and tunes cranked. A plug is already encased in ceramic insulator and the "leakage" is minor compared to other sources.

ditto!
I was hoping you chime in.

I forgot his name...maybe it was matt kenseth truck series, he just won and he does use non resistor plugs.
Has he won as many championships, no, but is cause of the plugs, no and who knows anyways...driving/pit strategy is a major part, but the motor has to stay together too and the rules are tight, not much if any diff between those engines....which at the same time makes the case of power increase if any the plugs affect.

If it was so important the mopar bible would tell you to run non resistors gap'd .100 and run coat hangers for wires.
I'm so burnt out on this.

ditto!
I was hoping you chime in.

I forgot his name...maybe it was matt kenseth truck series, he just won and he does use non resistor plugs.
Has he won as many championships, no, but is cause of the plugs, no and who knows anyways...driving/pit strategy is a major part, but the motor has to stay together too and the rules are tight, not much if any diff between those engines....which at the same time makes the case of power increase if any the plugs affect.

If it was so important the mopar bible would tell you to run non resistors gap'd .100 and run coat hangers for wires.
I'm so burnt out on this.

Did ya ever think the reason they use resistor plugs in nascar is due to the fact that all the drivers are using radios? Here you go again on the power trip i said non resistor plugs burn fuel more efficient and that equals better performance now prove that wrong! you cant cause ohms law is the key to the reason why. I gave you a simple ohms law problem for you and you turn it into a cdi ignition if you want a harder problem to solve with more voltage you shoulda asked me for one tougher then the little bitty one i asked you to answer. Dont argue electrical with me when you dont know jack chit about and now you know your wrong you use your arrogance to try and make me look like im the stupid one when your the one that cant answer a simple electrical ohms law problem get a life and take a electrical course its way over your head I'm done trying to explain electronics to you... ignorant wanna know it all and of course your never wrongggg. Oh im impressed you know some nascar peeps whoop de chit lmbo

Did ya ever think the reason they use resistor plugs in nascar is due to the fact that all the drivers are using radios? Here you go again on the power trip i said non resistor plugs burn fuel more efficient and that equals better performance now prove that wrong! you cant cause ohms law is the key to the reason why. I gave you a simple ohms law problem for you and you turn it into a cdi ignition if you want a harder problem to solve with more voltage you shoulda asked me for one tougher then the little bitty one i asked you to answer. Dont argue electrical with me when you dont know jack chit about and now you know your wrong you use your arrogance to try and make me look like im the stupid one when your the one that cant answer a simple electrical ohms law problem get a life and take a electrical course its way over your head I'm done trying to explain electronics to you... ignorant wanna know it all and of course your never wrongggg. Oh im impressed you know some nascar peeps whoop de chit lmbo

diggin up the dead???
Me ? make you look stupid?
you do good with that on your own.
dude you are a loser, so take a hike already..

5000ohm resistance does not hurt performance.
if you say so. electricity always wants to take the path of least resistance. so if it only takes 4000ohms of resistance to jump from the plug wire to the engine block. THATS what its going to do. RFI interferance was an issue with 70's tech, but not anymore. don't believe me? put non-r plugs into any modern car (if u can find the app). nothing bad will happen.

its all about getting the spark to the ground electode.

if you say so. electricity always wants to take the path of least resistance. so if it only takes 4000ohms of resistance to jump from the plug wire to the engine block. THATS what its going to do. RFI interferance was an issue with 70's tech, but not anymore. don't believe me? put non-r plugs into any modern car (if u can find the app). nothing bad will happen.

its all about getting the spark to the ground electode.

glad you took the time to worry about me, again...=P~

diggin up the dead???
Me ? make you look stupid?
you do good with that on your own.
dude you are a loser, so take a hike already..

Does it make you feel like a big man calling me a loser on the internet forum? Is that your last resort in a debate calling people names? I doubt very seriously you would say that to my face or id show you the path of least resistance to the floor. Everyone knows your a Mr. know it all and your never wrong in your own mind even when the facts are in your face!... Get over yourself!

Does it make you feel like a big man calling me a loser on the internet forum? Is that your last resort in a debate calling people names? I doubt very seriously you would say that to my face or id show you the path of least resistance to the floor. Everyone knows your a Mr. know it all and your never wrong in your own mind even when the facts are in your face!... Get over yourself!

meanwhile you call me an air head, so now you are a hypocrite. great....

look friend... what makes you 'feel like a man' is not what makes me feel like one, and btw keep your man feelings away from me and the rest of us.

I bet the thing you 'least resist' is another mans junk in your trunk.

I like the threat of physical violence towards a site member [me], it's a nice touch

Now have mommy tuck u into your race car bed and go to sleepy.

omg wow....too much LOL...race car bed and go to sleepy....haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Threatening fellow members is not too smart when you have your home town listed in your avatar. All kinda people in the world. You ever seen the Movie Deliverance?

Justin, really does it matter to the point that it has to turn inta a pissin match? can't you grow up just a teensi weencie lil' bit and give and receive respect? wtf? we all see you are intelligent but sometimes you gotta let others to be doing or saying what they have on their minds without you correcting them, if they are wrong and you can't word it properly to guide them in the right direction without pissin em off then STFU!you directed me to this thread and for what reason I have now a clue so here goes...stop being a douchbag or gitt out nobody wants costant fighting on here and I am tired of babysitting you so stop this Crap puhleezeee!!!!and don't say another word about it,just drop it. the rest of ya'll please try to keep it civil in any instance no matter what is said two wrongs will not make a right
meanwhile you call me an air head, so now you are a hypocrite. great....

look friend... what makes you 'feel like a man' is not what makes me feel like one, and btw keep your man feelings away from me and the rest of us.

I bet the thing you 'least resist' is another mans junk in your trunk.

I like the threat of physical violence towards a site member [me], it's a nice touch

Now have mommy tuck u into your race car bed and go to sleepy.

The rfi noise is not limited to your own electrical system, it will also effect other cars and radios in the area. I'm not commenting on the performance issue, but if you are not on the track, shouldn't you practice a little respect for others? Considering this thread I guess that's a lost cause.

Justin, really does it matter to the point that it has to turn inta a pissin match? can't you grow up just a teensi weencie lil' bit and give and receive respect? wtf? we all see you are intelligent but sometimes you gotta let others to be doing or saying what they have on their minds without you correcting them, if they are wrong and you can't word it properly to guide them in the right direction without pissin em off then STFU!you directed me to this thread and for what reason I have now a clue so here goes...stop being a douchbag or gitt out nobody wants costant fighting on here and I am tired of babysitting you so stop this Crap puhleezeee!!!!and don't say another word about it,just drop it. the rest of ya'll please try to keep it civil in any instance no matter what is said two wrongs will not make a right

What do you actually do here?
besides insert text into a quote of my post?
and call me a douche bag?
There were a few people on last night that saw what I posted and KNOW you inserted the rest.-mopardude318,strokerscamp,67fish and all were on last night.
You should have never been elected moderator, you don't evn know there are 18 teeth on a distributor gear and that you can stab it in and point the rotor which ever way you want as long as the wires are switched so the tcd had the rotor pointing at the no.1 terminal.

Remember that?

and YOU bash me???

You have a conflict of interest in this.
You can't the diff between someone diggin up the dead to mud sling and someone simpley responding to personal attacks and threat of physical violence.

you say I can't word it right....THE QUESTION WAS SHOW ME ON A DYNO TEST WHERE USING NON RESISTORS IN A MOPAR WITH A CDI/MSD MAKES MORE HP.

AND IF YOU SHOW ONLY A 1.2 HP GAIN, MY POINT IS MADE.

NEXT YOU'LL SAY THAT YOU CAN FEEL 1.2 HP GAIN....

THE POTENTIAL DAMAGE/INTERFERENCE AND THE FACT THAT PLUG WITHOUT PROPER LOWERING OF THE HEAT RANGE WILL BEGIN TO GLOW=PREIGNITON WHICH IS SOMETHING NOBODY EVER MENTIONED IS REASON ENOUGH.

TLAKIN ABOUT 'CAUSE THEY USE RADIOS'...TRUCK SERIES USES THE SAME RADIO'S AND KENSETH DIDN'T USE A RESISTOR!!!!!GUESS THAT MEANS THEY WORTH SQUAT AND MAKE NOT MUCH IF ANY TO WARRANT USING THEM-LEARN HOW TO TUNE, NOT JUST BUY PARTS!!!!!!

NONE OF MY QUESTIONS THAT I ASKED THIS GUY DID HE EVER ANSWER, YET YOU'RE TELLING ME I CAN'T ANSWER THEM????

HEY WAGGOFF, YOU WANNA SLANDER AND BELITTLE?
DO IT IN A PM SO THAT YOU DON'T LOOK SO UNBELIEVABLY STUPID AND BIASED.

YOU DON'T EVEN GET THAT MY SIG IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THERE ARE 100'S OF PEOPLE THAT NO MORE WAY MORE THAN ME, TOO BAD MODS LIKE YOU MAKE SO THEY WILL NEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVEEERRRR SIGN TO THIS SITE AND SHOW THEIR SUPERIOR KNOWLEDGE.

HEY WAGGIN....HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU HELP HERE?=ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS NOT THE ONE DIGGING UP OLD THREADS TO START MORE SLINGING. GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT.

YOU SHOULD BE FIRED

you talk about "if your non-r plugs make more power, your tuning skills are questionable"

care to explain?

name ALL the other resistance points in the ingition system, add up
the ohms, and report back before you go off all half cocked about it.

there is a time and a place for the use of non-r plugs. and it seems to me that your one tracked mind can't grab that concept.

if if have hi-resistance igntion components to begin with, IE: cheap resistor plug wires, non-r plugs will help.

but I digress...

I wanna now who's trying to build performance by using cheap-o wires in the 1st place

who uses an msd and then buys autozone wires that happen have over 2100 ohms?
there is a point in which the resistance is no real hendrence.

The whole debate over non resistors is the diff between chuggin yer glass of beer till it's empty...and then going licking the glass clean, thats all I'm saying.

not worth it, look other places if you really want a substantial hp/torque gain.

the guy was just a smart *** 1st thing when I asked him, now here we are...

no, the whole non-r vs r-plugs is moot.
users choise
I personally would rather go with $80 accel plug wires
and non-r plugs
then with $300 hi-tech plug wires and $100+ set of 8 resistor plugs.
thats dosn't dictate what my tuning skills are, just how much
of a hit my wallet has to take.

If you would not be so brash with people maybe you wouldn't have been banned like a zillion times, you been allowed back and have been doing pretty good till here recently.and as far as sharing knowledge and helping people I think you should look a lil' bit deeper, as far as you goes kewl yourself down and get along with people or just leave. as far as how to install a distributor I don't care how you want to install it or where you install it, not much room for it in your mouth because you have your foot in there so just kewl yourself down and be a good boy, last warning....:angry7:
What do you actually do here?
besides insert text into a quote of my post?
and call me a douche bag?
There were a few people on last night that saw what I posted and KNOW you inserted the rest.-mopardude318,strokerscamp,67fish and all were on last night.
You should have never been elected moderator, you don't evn know there are 18 teeth on a distributor gear and that you can stab it in and point the rotor which ever way you want as long as the wires are switched so the tcd had the rotor pointing at the no.1 terminal.

Remember that?

and YOU bash me???

You have a conflict of interest in this.
You can't the diff between someone diggin up the dead to mud sling and someone simpley responding to personal attacks and threat of physical violence.

you say I can't word it right....THE QUESTION WAS SHOW ME ON A DYNO TEST WHERE USING NON RESISTORS IN A MOPAR WITH A CDI/MSD MAKES MORE HP.

AND IF YOU SHOW ONLY A 1.2 HP GAIN, MY POINT IS MADE.

NEXT YOU'LL SAY THAT YOU CAN FEEL 1.2 HP GAIN....

THE POTENTIAL DAMAGE/INTERFERENCE AND THE FACT THAT PLUG WITHOUT PROPER LOWERING OF THE HEAT RANGE WILL BEGIN TO GLOW=PREIGNITON WHICH IS SOMETHING NOBODY EVER MENTIONED IS REASON ENOUGH.

TLAKIN ABOUT 'CAUSE THEY USE RADIOS'...TRUCK SERIES USES THE SAME RADIO'S AND KENSETH DIDN'T USE A RESISTOR!!!!!GUESS THAT MEANS THEY WORTH SQUAT AND MAKE NOT MUCH IF ANY TO WARRANT USING THEM-LEARN HOW TO TUNE, NOT JUST BUY PARTS!!!!!!

NONE OF MY QUESTIONS THAT I ASKED THIS GUY DID HE EVER ANSWER, YET YOU'RE TELLING ME I CAN'T ANSWER THEM????

HEY WAGGOFF, YOU WANNA SLANDER AND BELITTLE?
DO IT IN A PM SO THAT YOU DON'T LOOK SO UNBELIEVABLY STUPID AND BIASED.

YOU DON'T EVEN GET THAT MY SIG IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THERE ARE 100'S OF PEOPLE THAT NO MORE WAY MORE THAN ME, TOO BAD MODS LIKE YOU MAKE SO THEY WILL NEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVEEERRRR SIGN TO THIS SITE AND SHOW THEIR SUPERIOR KNOWLEDGE.

HEY WAGGIN....HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU HELP HERE?=ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS NOT THE ONE DIGGING UP OLD THREADS TO START MORE SLINGING. GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT.

YOU SHOULD BE FIRED

diggin up the dead? i think you started this thread and i have a right to respond... then you call everyone a name that doesnt agree with you on a forum which im sure you wouldnt do face to face with anyone here. Wanna call it a threat go for it im just saying you ever call me that face to face and believe me it wouldnt be a threat..you dont know me well enough to call me names.
By the way i answered all your off topic questions try answering one of mine thats on the topic for a change if everyone would go back over the entire thread they would understand who is causing trouble here.
Resistance is all about the flow of the current getting from point A to point B so tossing a resistor at 5k ohms at the end of a circuit does create a problem doesnt matter if you toss 30k volts or 50k volts it still affects the amperage (current) at point B
Not me or anyone else claimed it boosted HP what i said is that it burns the fuel more efficiently which boosts performance of the engine so quit trying to change everyones words around

I apoligize to the others believe me i didnt wanna take it this far i have respect for others and if im wrong i dont mind saying so i just have a problem with know it alls who believe there right cant prove it then use name calling as a substitue for intellegence....once again i apoligize end of topic

The rfi noise is not limited to your own electrical system, it will also effect other cars and radios in the area. I'm not commenting on the performance issue, but if you are not on the track, shouldn't you practice a little respect for others? Considering this thread I guess that's a lost cause.

I can remember as a kid in the late 50's and early 60's cars going by the house and causing the TV to go all snowy. The interferance with TV and radio broadcasts got to be enough of a problem that the FCC instituted rules that limit the magnitude of RFI that electronic equipment can emitt. So in essenace it's more than a "little repect", you could be breaking the law. So if you are driving around your neighborhood screwing up everyone's TV reception (yea I know most folks have cable) and you pissed off a couple of folks enough to drop a dime to the FCC they can and do come looking for you.

Flip your laptop over or look at the back of your PC and you will see a stylized FCC logo which signifies the product has been tested and complies with the rules. These rules apply to car systems too, Plus the automotive industry has there own requirements for systems within the car.

This issue about resistors verse no resistors in spark plugs is more complicated than Ohms law.

The 0.035" gap in the plug is essentially an infinate resistance basically the 5K in the plug is trivial in comparison at this point. As the voltage builds up in the secondary windings of the coil after the points open or the ecu switches off no current is flowing in the secondaries. At some level of voltage, it varies depending on the conditions (in a lab at standard atmospheric conditions 2800 volts to 20k or more volts in a running engine) the voltage will ionize the air in the gap creating plasma and the resistance across the gap essentially goes to zero and current flows (the voltage goes no higher at this point) resulting in the plasma being heated to a point that it can ignite the mixture and be visible to the eye.

Reducing the resistance will allow more current to flow making for a "bigger" spark but at the cost of the voltage droping below the point that the ioization can be maintained faster. So the question is, besides the RFI implications, do you want a "bigger" spark for a shorter period of time or a "smaller" spark for a longer period of time.

From a performance stand point there will be experts out there that can argue compellingly on both sides. I think anyone would be hard pressed to be able to show any kind of objective evidence that one is better than the other.

I run res plugs in 1-3-5-7 and non res plugs in 2-4-6-8 Best of both worlds. And I used to race Nascar.

-
Back