RMS Alterktion coil over system??

-

USMC1968

Reaction score
Anybody out there have any inputs on this suspension system they offer? Or about RMS in general? Never dealt with them and was curious what kind of product they put out. Really just trying to choose the best setup for my 68 so I'm definitely taking notes on all the input you guys give me. Thanks again.

Well that and the fact that I'm not gonna save up put out all that money to get it if it isn't worth it!

i have heard nothing but good things about it. I would like to get one some day.

you might have to wait a day but i know a few people on here have that front suspension and its what i plan on getting

We used both the AlterKtion front suspension and StreetLynx rear suspension on our club charity project car last year (1968 Valiant with 400cid big-block). Both front and rear suspension systems are great pieces of engineering and worked outstanding.
Our finished car handled like a new Corvette and rode great on SoCal freeways and streets.
The front suspension gives tons of room for headers.
The only drawbacks I saw were slight wheel size and offset restriction and there's not enough room with the rear suspension to easily run your exhaust all the way to the rear bumper. I suggest you contact RMS directly to discuss these issues if they're a problem for you. Other than that, the systems are well-engineered, straightforward and bulletproof.
You can see installation photos on our club website: www.inlandmoparscarclub.com. Go to the 2008 charity project car section for photos. Here's a photo of the finished car

2008_68ValiantRaffleCar2.jpg

i'm running the alter-k and their rear street lynx systems.

the alter-k is awesome. it is a true bolt in. you will be surprised as to how easy it bolts in the car. i recomend the power rack if you buy one. it is awesome. th emanual rack was great but the power is incredible. RMS's customer service is second to none. if you have any questions give them a call. they will explain anything you want to know and not be pushy about selling you a system.

here is pictures of my install. http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/abodyjoe/71 dart/alter-k/?start=140

if ya have any question just pm me.

there's not enough room with the rear suspension to easily run your exhaust all the way to the rear bumper.

a good exhaust shop can do it easy. i have 2 1/2 pipes to the bumper with no problem. and i believe on an a-body as long as your running a 8 3/4 that tti tail pipes will bolt right on.

i'm running the alter-k and their rear street lynx systems.

the alter-k is awesome. it is a true bolt in. you will be surprised as to how easy it bolts in the car. i recomend the power rack if you buy one. it is awesome. th emanual rack was great but the power is incredible. RMS's customer service is second to none. if you have any questions give them a call. they will explain anything you want to know and not be pushy about selling you a system.

here is pictures of my install. http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/abodyjoe/71 dart/alter-k/?start=140

I agree with Joe.. The alterk is great. I bolted my engine and trans to the alterk lifted thr front of my 65 barracuda and rolled it under. I lower the car and bolted the whole thing in. A true bolt in setup. Go for it for your 68.

I haven't bought any big ticket items from Bill but he sure treated me like it was for the few things I did buy.Wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again, yup call him he will give you all the info you need!

What they said above.
RMS (Bill) is all aces with his products and customer service.
I have the alter-k & am about to do the street-lynx rear.

Awesome inputs guys. Well, no doubt about it, gotta get it now. It certainly helped when ocdart said that there is tons of room for headers. That has been a big concern of mine seeing as how it's a 440 going in my 68' and that's all I've heard is very little clearance for headers. Hopefully this front end will make it easier. Plus this "Bill" guy sounds like a pretty upstanding fella. Now I think you guys sold me on the StreetLynx rear as well. Man, ya'll should tell RMS or Bill, that they owe you some commission or at least an advertising fee!!! :-D Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. Well, front suspension.............CHECK!

I would LOVE to have one but its a little spendy.

Wonder how hard it would be to make my own.

I'd honestly thought about that too. My job mainly consists of metal fabrication work with a lot of welding. With all of the proper measurements I'd have no problem building one up. Stainless, titanium, etc..... we have it all and I'm a certified welder for all metal groups in GTAW, GMAW and SMAW. Maybe I'll order some square tube stock one of these days and see what I can do. Definitely would save me a boat load of money. :-D

problem with building your own isn't putting it together. its putting everything in the proper location so the geometry correct.

problem with building your own isn't putting it together. its putting everything in the proper location so the geometry correct.

Exactly.

Bill Reily invested in suspension design programs very early on. Before making complete K-members. I remember he spent quite a bit of time and effort just finding the right suspension design hardware.

a good exhaust shop can do it easy. i have 2 1/2 pipes to the bumper with no problem. and i believe on an a-body as long as your running a 8 3/4 that tti tail pipes will bolt right on.

I agree with joe, I have 3 inch all the way back, but the tti tail pipes did not fit and had to be altered. A decent exhaust shop shouldn't have any issues. I absolutely love the way the car drives and rides with both front and rear RMS system. It is an unbelievable difference. Also agree with everyone else, Bill has top notch stuff, and is great to deal with.

USMC, Go for it, beans and rice for 4 weeks isn't so bad LOL
After all its just $$$$$$$

But in all seriousness you will be glad you did. I just visited Bills shop Friday to put an eyeball on the Street-Lynx set up. I'm pulling the trigger on it next week.

Bill has no need to put the hard sell on his product, it sells itself once you see it in person.
I originaly figured the cost of a complete rebuild of my 44+ yr old front end with quality parts, disc conversion and then factored in the weight loss and adjustability, hands down worth the coin. Some folks may not be able to justify the exspense, one could buy a nice DD, it all depends on what you want out of your ride.
Bill is not only all ace's but has a BADASS Dart.

I did Blackeye'd peas,pinto's then Great white Northern's, ran out of hamhocks 2nd week LOL

If I had the equipment to do so, I would buy one of their front end kits to use as a reference... then start making them up to sell to everyone.

Has anyone thought of doing this? I am sure that you could make your money back very quick... not to mention all of the "new friends" you would make!

:-D

If I had the equipment to do so, I would buy one of their front end kits to use as a reference... then start making them up to sell to everyone.

Has anyone thought of doing this? I am sure that you could make your money back very quick... not to mention all of the "new friends" you would make!

I think you were just joking, right?

I would imagine there could be some there issues with patents.

talk to control freak. they pretty much made a copy of the alter-k. not sure how cheap you'll be able to sell them though. you have to be paid for your time. then the shocks,spindles,modifying the spindles,rack,tie rod sleeves, tie rod ends, upper control arms, lower arms etc..etc...etc.. all cost man.even if you make the arms and frame itself on your woun that all takes time and you need to be paid for that. how cheap do you think you could actually build it and sell it for? oh and don't forget all the money up front for the equipment and the up keep for said equipment. not so sure you could build and sell it as cheap as you think.

Yeah thats not cool. Its pretty much steeling. Its cool to make your own but if you copy a part then sell it for profit...

I agree. And let's not forget the fact that if you don't have the proper way to test and check your build, there's gonna be a lot of pissed off people when the front of their car eats **** on the pavement. Though it would be a fun challenge just to see if I could do it, I'll leave it up to the pro's! It is their livelyhood afterall. (When it comes to taking out a terrorist, then we'll talk :thebirdm:)

-
Back