RobKat Progress!

-
I can give you some perspective. In the years when the Mustang SVO were made, the 2.3 turbo made just as much power as the GT with the 5.0 and I am using a larger turbo. I plan on spooling it to about 15 PSI once I get everything sorted out.
I had a 79 mustang with the draw through turbo. That thing hauled *** until i decided to fix the stuck waste gate. LOL

A guy at work told me a story about owning a late 70s mustang with the 2.3 auto. Overweight and underpowered, without good gas mileage. The pinto was better. Cool car and thanks for sharing

non-turbo 4 cyl + auto = DOG

turbo 4 cyl + manual = haul *** and have fun doing it

8 valve turbo 4 bangers can be built to have a lot of power. A built up 2.2 chrysler 8V engine can make 300HP easy with about 25psi of boost. That pinto is a light lil car, and the 2.3 turbo is a direct bolt in, plus its RWD, which is perfect for drag racing.

Look up turbo joe morgan online, see what pops up. Awhile back in hotrod magazine this guy boosted the **** outta a 2.3 t bird turbo coupe engine and stuck it in an early 70s ford pinto. Instant 10 second drag car with nice street manners lol. Simple case of light car, and powerful engine.

Turbos are great. You run lower compression than an N/A engine, and get more power as a result from the boost. Anybody who has driven a turbo Chrysler with a failed turbo knows its a gutless wonder because of its 8 to 1 dished pistons, but replace the turbo and its a rocket.

Last edited:
8 valve turbo 4 bangers can be built to have a lot of power. A built up 2.2 chrysler 8V engine can make 300HP easy with about 25psi of boost. That pinto is a light lil car, and the 2.3 turbo is a direct bolt in.

Look up turbo joe morgan online, se what pops up. Awhile back in hotrod magazine this guy boosted the **** outta a 2.3 t bird turbo coupe engine and stuck it in an early 70s ford pinto. Instant 10 second drag car with nice street manners lol. Simple case of light car, and powerful engine.

Turbos are great. You run lower compression than an N/A engine, and get more power as a result from the boost. Anybody who has driven a turbo Chrysler with a failed turbo knows its a gutless wonder because of its 8 to 1 dished pistons, but replace the turbo and its a rocket.
Triple R, are you plannin on a 10 second car?

A guy at work told me a story about owning a late 70s mustang with the 2.3 auto. Overweight and underpowered, without good gas mileage. The pinto was better. Cool car and thanks for sharing
They were still using carbs with turbos back then, and still tinkering with the technology. The pontiac 301 turbo T/A with rochester 4bbl was an effing dog too. When they got into EFI and computer engine management with turbos is when the performance really picked up. You cant argue with a buick GN, or a GMC syclone in that regard.

I had seen a couple FWD mopar turbo cars converted to turbo RWD over the years. My favorite was the shelby charger that the owner used a dakota 2.5 bellhousing when converting it. Also saw a twin cam 2.2 turbo lll setup in a hotrodded standard cab shortbox dakota. Always liked the daytona body style, felt chrysler effed up by not offering it as a RWD car. I think more of em would still be around probably with V8 conversions had they made em RWD from the get go.

Last edited:
Back in the day my buddy had a Pinto with an experimental cam (his Dad worked for fords) that started making power around 6500. Had an Offy 4bbl intake and headers. Biggest problem was the nylon threads that held in the shifter. Use your imagination. A lot of fun when it worked, dusted a bunch of v8 Mustangs. You're gonna have a blast.

-
Back