RobKat Progress!

-
That should be fun. Have you scoped out the firewall clearance issues? If I remember correctly the left valve cover and the wiring want to occupy the same space.

Couldn't those be had from the factory with a 351 Windsor? That would move...of course your 5.0 will too.

if there was ever a vehicle that needed electric actuated cutouts and a loud *** train horn, it's this little sleeper..

That's a damn cool little car!! I used to have it's big brother, the Bobcat wagon!! Many fun times I had in that car!! Looking forward to seeing this little car blossom into the road eating beast it wants to be!!

Couldn't those be had from the factory with a 351 Windsor? That would move...of course your 5.0 will too.

Negative. The Pinto and Bobcat only came with the 2.8L German made V6 and the 2.0 (early Pinto) and 2.3 4 cylinder engines.

That should be fun. Have you scoped out the firewall clearance issues? If I remember correctly the left valve cover and the wiring want to occupy the same space.

This is a 76 Model. The 74 and up Pinto shared the same front end, including firewall as the Mustang II. That means that the 74 and up Pinto and Bobcat SHOULD be a bolt in swap for the 302, since the Mustang II came with a 302 from the factory.

However.......and this is how my luck runs, I have found out first hand that the Bobcat, for whatever reason, kept using the smaller firewall and transmission tunnel transition area, so, yes, I am going to have to cut and reshape the firewall a small amount. Nothing a sawzall and mig welder caint handle.

Other than that, this is a totally bolt in swap. The frame rails have the holes for the Mustang II V8 mounts and all I need for an oil pan is the Mustang II V8 pan which is already bolted on the motor. It should have been a factory option........but had they done that, the Pinto would have out shined the Mustang and they couldn't have that. lol

'74-78 is THE only time a Pinto could outshine the Mustang and not sure even with the V8 as a sleeper. Maybe 40 years later, but not then.

'74-78 is THE only time a Pinto could outshine the Mustang and not sure even with the V8 as a sleeper. Maybe 40 years later, but not then.

Might wanna let Bob Glidden know that one. lol

Very cool. Not a big ford fan, but this is different. Front of engine looks nice and neat.
Looking forward to see it stuffed in the hole.

My older brother had a 71 corolla with a 302. Exhaust manifolds were swapped left to right and upside down- pipes went forward, down beside rad and out under front end of car. For a 2bbl it was fast.
Not much room for feet in the cockpit though.no pictures, as it was late 70’s.

I'll bet it was a handfull

399da48275eb913fab30714f8250a570--alt-passport.jpg

Cool a 5.0 pinto. I love those things. Neighbor used to have a pinto wagon with a 5.0 it was total nuts. He kept it **** brown with woodgrain on the sides. Are you going w steelies and poverty caps to hide it?

This is a 76 Model. The 74 and up Pinto shared the same front end, including firewall as the Mustang II. That means that the 74 and up Pinto and Bobcat SHOULD be a bolt in swap for the 302, since the Mustang II came with a 302 from the factory.

However.......and this is how my luck runs, I have found out first hand that the Bobcat, for whatever reason, kept using the smaller firewall and transmission tunnel transition area, so, yes, I am going to have to cut and reshape the firewall a small amount. Nothing a sawzall and mig welder caint handle.

Other than that, this is a totally bolt in swap. The frame rails have the holes for the Mustang II V8 mounts and all I need for an oil pan is the Mustang II V8 pan which is already bolted on the motor. It should have been a factory option........but had they done that, the Pinto would have out shined the Mustang and they couldn't have that. lol
Hot rodding at it's best. C4 and a narrowed 8.8?

Used to be a guy running around that had one with a turbo 2.3 thunderbird turbo coupe engine in one. Since its a bolt in thats a different way to go. He was featured in hotrod magazine. Turbo Joe Morgan is what he callwd himself. I'm a V8 junkie though. V8 pintos and V8 vegas are a riot. I always wanted to do either one, but a wagon. Something about wagons that i like. I also like the concept of swapping all the hot roddy stuff from a fox 5.0 into a 2 door plain jane ford fairmont coupe. My uncle had a 79 fairmont years ago. It was metallic dark blue with light blue interior. 2.3, and 4 speed. It would have been the perfect sleeper with mustang 5.0 stuff in it. Even the mustang gage panel with tachometer up to 1986 would be a bolt in swap into the fairmont dash

A buddy of mine in high school had a Ford Fairmont with a 302 in it. Moved pretty well as I recall.

Cool a 5.0 pinto. I love those things. Neighbor used to have a pinto wagon with a 5.0 it was total nuts. He kept it **** brown with woodgrain on the sides. Are you going w steelies and poverty caps to hide it?

Ford's version of the Mopar Road Wheels with trim rings. I want it to look like a factory muscle car.

Gonna be a sweet ride for sure. thanks for sharing this build.

Got RobKat wheels stripped and painted. I decided to go different than the standard argent for the spokes. I used Rustoleum hammer tone silver. You cannot tell in the picture, but it really pops. I am going to get the masking kit and mask the spokes off and paint the rest Rustoleum hammer tone charcoal grey. The hammer tone paint is extremely tough and I love how it looks. I will also finish them out with blue Mercury center caps and deep trim rings.

WHEELS.jpg

Rob, this car is turning out to be really cool. Can't wait to see it done.

Got RobKat wheels stripped and painted. I decided to go different than the standard argent for the spokes. I used Rustoleum hammer tone silver. You cannot tell in the picture, but it really pops. I am going to get the masking kit and mask the spokes off and paint the rest Rustoleum hammer tone charcoal grey. The hammer tone paint is extremely tough and I love how it looks. I will also finish them out with blue Mercury center caps and deep trim rings.

View attachment 1715106488
My buddy dropped off 6 of those and 5 deep rings. Took about 30 seconds per wheel to get them to fit on my barracuda. Looking forward to seeing the process. Great start.

Next on the list is a pair of five lug axles for the rear. That's a big chunk so it's gonna be a bit. I will be working on other small stuff in the meantime.

Rob, this car is turning out to be really cool. Can't wait to see it done.

Thanks. I hope it turns out well. It is an important project to me, because I hacked a V8 Pinto project to pieces when I was a kid. It ran and was somewhat fast, but I rigged and hacked my way through that project. LOL This is somewhat of a redemption.

-
Back