Roller to flat tappet

-

westcoaststeve

Reaction score
I have a 1989 360 out of a B350 van. It has a roller cam, but I have to take the roller out and install a flat tappet cam and lifters since I am putting this engine in a hobby stock car and the rules will not allow you to have a roller cam. My question is about the tappets. Are roller tappets and flat tappets the same diameter? I believe after I take the roller tappet hardware off then I should be able to stick the flat tappets in the same hole without any problem. The next concern I have is what changes do I have to make to the oil system to get the oil back up to the heads since they wouldn't go through the push rods any longer.
Any help ,ideas or assistance would be much appreciated.

I don't think 89 oils through the PR. I would check the engine no's and heads and make sure it's not a later Magnum.

Do the intake bolts go vertically? ---- Magnum If the intake bolts are tilted IE perpendicular to the gasket face? --- LA. Stud mount rockers are Magnum, shaft mount rockers are LA

Others will chime in, I thing guys were using an AMC lifter to get PR oiling, but I don't think you need that. I bet it oils through the rocker shafts.

As far as I know, should take standard LA lifters. Make certain (check the block markings) that you don't have one or more oversize lifter hole.

Thank You 67Dart273 for that info. It has made more since. I just thought differently because this engine had fuel injection. I forgot that Mopar phased in the Magnum at a later time. My 360 has to be an LA since I have rocker shafts.

Yes roller cams/lifters showed up in 1989.
And yes from what I see on those, the Roller block LA's did not oil through pushrods, they oiled through the shaft.
Even though oddly enough they had provisions to oil through the rods.

*Edit* I've seen roller cammed LA motors as early as 1987 (318's) not too sure about 360's though (maybe as early as 88 ).

Yep, if it has rocker shafts it oils through the block, up through the heads and into the rocker shafts. I would like to buy the spider that bolts to the valley that keeps the lifters in place. PM me if you still have it. toolmanmike

Westcoast, Mopar sold the 380HP/360 LA short blocks with the FT .508 cam and regular hydraulic lifters in a roller block, that is what I have been running up to now. Since you have shaft rockers, you are good to go.

Toolman, I got my spider, dog bone lifter holders and lifters from Bouchealon, ( probably misspelled ) he was very helpful. I made the swap to hydraulic roller.

Westcoast, Mopar sold the 380HP/360 LA short blocks with the FT .508 cam and regular hydraulic lifters in a roller block, that is what I have been running up to now. Since you have shaft rockers, you are good to go.

Toolman, I got my spider, dog bone lifter holders and lifters from Bouchealon, ( probably misspelled ) he was very helpful. I made the swap to hydraulic roller.

yes...i have two of those short blocks....one is still in the blue crate 15 yrs later...bought them both off craigs list...lol

-
Back