rpm limits of stock crank

-
The weight of the reciprocating assembly, whether internal or external balance, the quality of the parts and experience of the builder would play a part. I'd say about 6000 would be safe.

also the time at high rpm's , 11 seconds or 60 second blasts? stock 360 cranks and rods are strong, and 360 pistons are a lot lighter than 340 pistons

I've been between 6,500 and 6,800 rpms for 15 years now on my stock crank/rods only mods are main studs and better bolts with a balance job.

360 short block assembled back in 2006, stock crank...h beam rods weighting in at 630 grams...pistons weight 525 grams...goes thru traps in Vegas at 7200 rpm....at bakersfield 7500 rpm....

My engine with balanced assembly and stock crank shifted at 6500 rpm and put together in 1988, still runs great

Mine was bolted together in 99 with studs,KB107s, oem teener rods with Arp bolts and bushed.It has 100,000 or so miles on it since then, almost 100% street. I often shift it at 6800 to 7200. Pretty regularly. Before I installed a rev limiter and customized my shifter, I missed a few shifts and the tell-tale tack caught some 8000 Rs. I mostly shift up there because it goes there and sounds so awesome. The small cam I have(230*) doesnt need to go there I'm sure, but its still pulling so I let er buck.
When just tooling around I like to get into 3rd in a hurry. That is, I short shift, and almost lug the engine at large throttle openings.You know, make it work.( Kinda like a 74GMC pick-up with a 305 and highway gears. You could floor those off the line, and watch grass grow while it worked its way up to 60 or 70 mph. And it was all at the same rpm. Like 2200 it seemed.) Anyway, with 3 inch pipes, my S grunts pretty good.

I think valve springs are very important.Small cams are easy on springs.

This is a good question. I will be assembling my engine next week and I've thinking about this very same thing.

Oiling mods are suggested for rpm's north of 6500.
Exceed at your own peril!

Stock 360 Crankshaft

#3418640 {Cast Crank}

Very Safe ......... 6500 RPM's.

Stock 360 Connecting Rods

#3418645 {Pressed Pin}

Very Safe ......... 6500 RPM's

"10,000 rpm !!!!!"

Where can I get a cam for that?
Would I still have a nice lope in the idle?
Do you think it would be hard on gas?
My neighbor says he can tune anything. Do you think he could handle that?
What part number would the springs be?
Would I need H-beam rods for that, or are my PN 2438679 rods OK?
A guy I work with says I might have a hard time to balance the crank for that. Do you think thats true?
I have a set of custom pushrods left over from another job.Do you think I can make them work with aluminum roller rockers.

Tuesday morning. Semi-retired.Still making trouble. Somebody has to......

Will that work with my 2800TC, and 727
Where can I get a 7.56 rear cog?
My intake is only rated to 7000 or so. I cant seem to find any, rated higher.
Do you think my 750DP will be all right.
I just bought a new dizzy. Can I transfer that over? Its the vacuum advance kind.
I just had my Magnums ported. Do you think they'll be ok?

I just heard my neighbor leaving for work. I think his 4 banger turns at least that, so a V8 should go double, right.I hate the sound of that guys tuner pos.

Rod-bolts are usually the first ones that let go in high rpm situations, so they often tell you when your engine has reached it's rpm limit :)

I guess you could start with;

"Oiling mods for dummies" thread? Yes, an actual thread title.

Guitar Jones has a lengthy thread on oiling mods to his small block.
It is a very good thread.

"10,000 rpm !!!!!"

Where can I get a cam for that?
Would I still have a nice lope in the idle?
Do you think it would be hard on gas?
My neighbor says he can tune anything. Do you think he could handle that?
What part number would the springs be?
Would I need H-beam rods for that, or are my PN 2438679 rods OK?
A guy I work with says I might have a hard time to balance the crank for that. Do you think thats true?
I have a set of custom pushrods left over from another job.Do you think I can make them work with aluminum roller rockers.

Tuesday morning. Semi-retired.Still making trouble. Somebody has to......

Will that work with my 2800TC, and 727
Where can I get a 7.56 rear cog?
My intake is only rated to 7000 or so. I cant seem to find any, rated higher.
Do you think my 750DP will be all right.
I just bought a new dizzy. Can I transfer that over? Its the vacuum advance kind.
I just had my Magnums ported. Do you think they'll be ok?

I just heard my neighbor leaving for work. I think his 4 banger turns at least that, so a V8 should go double, right.I hate the sound of that guys tuner pos.

12,000 PRM !!!!!
You've got the parts!!!! But you might want to weld the nuts onto your rod bolts!!

I ran a Mopar perforamce 360 cast crank and spun that 7500 rpms in my Duster. I ran solid lifter cam and KB pistons with eagle I beam rods. I had over 150 passes on that engine, I bracket raced just about every week with that car.

I so, so, love this forum

Ps I have no budget in mind yet, Just trying to figure out what parts I might need. I might have to sell my Caravan tho,to make it happen. Yeah old Betsy, shes in pretty good shape for an 84. That should about get me some heads I'd think.

I so, so, love this forum

Ps I have no budget in mind yet, Just trying to figure out what parts I might need. I might have to sell my Caravan tho,to make it happen. Yeah old Betsy, shes in pretty good shape for an 84. That should about get me some heads I'd think.

I have a set of 318 head castings, stock valves(exhast valves seats have all been sunk atleast .250 for extra installed height for high lift). They have been ported! By who I believe was an elleptic blind person (no offense intended), so yes there is a huge amount of flow through these ports! The holes in the pushrod pinch even make the CFM numbers higher on the flow bench. these heads are so well done they flow quite a bit of CFM with the valves closed! I would be willing to trade for that 84 Caravan! Well only if it has the fake wood paneling!

^^ Finally, someone responds. I was beginning to think I was going insane. Thx moturbopar, You made my day.
BTW That Caravan is on its way,and it will suit you to a tee, so ship those heads asap.

Who doesn't love a caravan?!?! I hope it has rust, and a crunched oil pan!!!

-
Back