SB Stroker Intake Choices

-
For a performance stroker I'd never run a dual plane, ever. In the OP's situation I'd run the Weiand and be looking for a used Victor.

For a performance stroker I'd never run a dual plane, ever. In the OP's situation I'd run the Weiand and be looking for a used Victor.
For discussion, this is the X-celerator with the Mr Gasket 5840 gaskets. There is a lot of meat left in this intake.

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

You can always upgrade later, try both see which one you like better.
It's very unlikely your gonna dial it exactly how you want from day one, try what you got get some kind of baseline and go from there.

For discussion, this is the X-celerator with the Mr Gasket 5840 gaskets. There is a lot of meat left in this intake.

View attachment 1716210224

View attachment 1716210225
I ran one on my Edelbrock headed 340, it took a bit of work to port match, but it worked well. IMHO, it's borderline small for a stout stroker, that's why I recommended the Victor. The Victor that I ran on my 408 took a ton of grinding to port match, it had a lot of core shift.

You think a little less aggressive for a street/milder motor with the curved runners?

View attachment 1716210380

I think that intake surprised me last winter after flowing one for a member last winter. And we also have a member running 6.60’s in his beautiful duster with one. We will be seeing how a Victor340 stacks up against it soon hopefully.

I think that intake surprised me last winter after flowing one for a member last winter. And we also have a member running 6.60’s in his beautiful duster with one. We will be seeing how a Victor340 stacks up against it soon hopefully.

Just re-read that thread last night.

I need to take mine off and have the square carb flange welded on. The epoxy didn't work out (didn't have support dowels)

6626415-IntakeToHeadMatching.jpg

In process pic

6626415-12_22_10Sm1.jpg

My guess is that between an M1, Excellerator, and Victor , with all ported/ port matched, and installed on a cookie cutter 500/550 horse bracket stroker motor, the ET difference between all of them would be negligible, at most 1/2 a tenth.

My guess is that between an M1, Excellerator, and Victor , with all ported/ port matched, and installed on a cookie cutter 500/550 horse bracket stroker motor, the ET difference between all of them would be negligible, at most 1/2 a tenth.

I never seen or touched an Excellerator and would like to but if that’s what was on your old engine they work well. So I agree any of the above with a little tender loving care.

It’s pretty small John, and doesn’t have an “ air gap” under it like the other two.
I suspect any more power than what I mentioned in my previous post the other two would start pulling away a bit more

You think the M1 is a little less aggressive for a street/milder motor with the curved runners?

You visited the thread pages that shows its flow numbers, where the M1 behind the Victor intake. Stock and ported for both. The intakes are old, the M1 being older. The M1 & the Victor was designed for a stock port found on the OEM cylinder head. For matching purposes, the M1 bolted to OEM heads is a perfect match with the intake & heads ported being an excellent combination.

As noted by the flow numbers from the porting work on the intake, the intake will handle a pretty well ported head. IMO, not a Max ported head. Though, however, the intake porting can be pushed further, which was not the goal of the work done.

The bottom line for an engine and the intake it needs pertaining to your combination is IMO, the Victor & the M1 are a hair small and could use more plenum, like a spacer and possibly not be enough for “Maximum Return.”

Ether would work but how well vs optimal….

The M1 can and would work very well in the street with a proper combo stem to stern. It’s been done for decades. I personally don’t remember seeing it on a big 422 small block. Which is 82 cubic inches larger than the 340 engine it was designed for.

I'm impressed with my out of the box Trick Flow intake and how it performed first time out in my new build. I have yet to run anything else worth noting so not much to compare to right now.
How is the low end with the Trick Flow? I bought their heads I figured I might as well get the intake. I know on Powernation it matched the dual plane on the low end on the stroker they done.

I have a ported and gasket matched Victor 340 intake on my 418" stroked 340 engine. IMO works great.

I have started assembling my 340/420 and I need to start deciding on which intake to run. I currently have the following two intakes:
Non-Airgap RPM
Weiand X-celerator (small single plane)

I have gasket matched both of these to the same intake gaskets, and the depth of the match is about the same for both. I have also matched the intake openings to the carb gasket on both pieces. My worry with these is that they were made for 318-360 cu inches when new and now even with the gasket match, I’m guessing that they will still be a restriction for the 420.

I am also trying to decide if the new Trick Flow single plane or the Indy 360-3R single plane may be better options too at about a $30 difference in price between them brand new. I know the Indy is quite a bit taller, but I am running a drop base air cleaner with about a 1” spacer under the carb with the current RPM intake. So, I am fairly sure that the 360-3R will not have a height issue under the hood (Challenger with RT hood).

My main concern with the top two are, if they are going to choke down the engine or not. My main concern with the 360-3R is if it is too big for a streetcar that will be maxed out at 6-6200rpms or so and has a solid lifter cam of 252/256 @ .050” with .603” lifts (before lash and geo loss).

My 727 Dynamic 9.5” converter was spec’d for my 340 with a 226/238 cam. So, I am assuming that the flash rpms will move up from 3800rpms with this new setup.

This is my street toy with no power steering or AC, and it has manual front disc brakes. So which intake would you suggest?
Thanks!!
I vote for the Weiand 1995.
1708722904072.png

I have started assembling my 340/420 and I need to start deciding on which intake to run. I currently have the following two intakes:
Non-Airgap RPM
Weiand X-celerator (small single plane)

I have gasket matched both of these to the same intake gaskets, and the depth of the match is about the same for both. I have also matched the intake openings to the carb gasket on both pieces. My worry with these is that they were made for 318-360 cu inches when new and now even with the gasket match, I’m guessing that they will still be a restriction for the 420.

I am also trying to decide if the new Trick Flow single plane or the Indy 360-3R single plane may be better options too at about a $30 difference in price between them brand new. I know the Indy is quite a bit taller, but I am running a drop base air cleaner with about a 1” spacer under the carb with the current RPM intake. So, I am fairly sure that the 360-3R will not have a height issue under the hood (Challenger with RT hood).

My main concern with the top two are, if they are going to choke down the engine or not. My main concern with the 360-3R is if it is too big for a streetcar that will be maxed out at 6-6200rpms or so and has a solid lifter cam of 252/256 @ .050” with .603” lifts (before lash and geo loss).

My 727 Dynamic 9.5” converter was spec’d for my 340 with a 226/238 cam. So, I am assuming that the flash rpms will move up from 3800rpms with this new setup.

This is my street toy with no power steering or AC, and it has manual front disc brakes. So which intake would you suggest?
Thanks!!
My preference for street is the Performer RPM Airgap. Dual plane for better street manners.

-
Back