sbp 8 3/4" drum size?

-

beefovail

Reaction score
I am trying to redo the rear brakes on my dart and I am quite confused at this point. The shoes are 10x 1-3/4", drums are 10x2". When I pulled it apart the shoes and drums were hashed, with a diagonal wear pattern on the shoes? The shoes do not fit the backing plates and appear to be to small and when installed where they should be, there is about a 3/8" gap between the shoe and the backing plate where it should touch the backing plate at the pads. The drums do not engage the backing plate when installed. It is almost as if the backing plates are for the bigger brake setup, with the smaller brakes installed???
I just bought the car and have no idea what the rear end is out of. The car was a /6 originally, so I doubt the 8-3/4 was stock. It is the small bolt setup so my question is what size should the rear drums be? It is a 69 dart. I know I should swap it over to the BBP axles, and probably will when funding is available. For now, I would just like to get some brakes that work and are safe and drive the car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am getting frustrated trying to figure this out.
Thanks
Keith

If you were able to have pictures put up it might be easier to diagnose but I just did my rear brakes on my 66 dart with the 8 3/4 and they are 10" drums. Autozone had shoes for $16. Also if I were you, I would have the drums resurfaced cause it only cost about $8 each and makes a world of difference.

If you were able to have pictures put up it might be easier to diagnose but I just did my rear brakes on my 66 dart with the 8 3/4 and they are 10" drums. Autozone had shoes for $16. Also if I were you, I would have the drums resurfaced cause it only cost about $8 each and makes a world of difference.

I agree with this assessment.

My factory 1971 Duster 340 has the factory 8 3/4 with the factory Abody 10" X 1.75" rear brake setup. Centric had the 10" x 1.75 " replacement drums available last year - check around on Rock Auto, ebay and the like, if you seek replacement rear drums.

Will try and upload pics again when I get to the casa. For some reason they would not upload this am. I'm thinkin that the rear brakes that are currently on the car may be a mismatch. The shoe does not touch the guide pads on the backing plate. This is a problem. It had caused the shoes to sit kind of sideways in the drum, which in turn ruined the shoes and the drums. Very frustrating.

Hello;
I'm wondering if, when someone installed the 8 3/4, they retained the 9" backing plates.
9" brakes are 2" wide instead of 1 3/4", which is what a '69 A body with an 8 3/4 rear
should have. 10" backing plates are 11" in dia. and have very little offset. I don't know much about 9" brakes, only that I dont want any! The difference in shoe width might
explain why the narrower shoes don't contact the backing plates if in fact the plates you have are for 9"x2" brakes.

I think I have figured out what is going on. The person who swapped the rear end did not change the backing plates to the sbp plates, I think. I bought some on ebay today that are correct for the application. Hopefully these will work a little better than the previous setup. Whoever did the swap obviously did not mind "living on the edge" because the damn shoes where basically flopping around in the drums! Yikes....more than this old dog cares to live with at this point. The pics are of the current (mess) setup.
Will report findings, good or bad. Hopefully I didn't throw away good money on the b/p's, but I think this is gonna get it.

Attachments

• DART PICS 001 (Small).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 270
  • DART PICS 002 (Small).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 263
Just an update. The car has an 8 3/4 I am assuming out of an A body car, but apparently a later model Dart. Whoever did the swap obviously did not know what they were doing and did not change the backing plates, and went ahead and put the sbp brake setup on the car. Very stupid, and very dangerous! I acquired all new brake components AND the correct backing plates and it is amazing how well it all fits!
And now a word on safety. I bought this car for street and strip use. It has a lot of good components that will eventually make it a nice car, however the previous owner(s) were interested in going fast, only. The entire brake system is getting replaced by me including all the lines and hoses. If you are driving an old hot rod it would behoove you to investigate the brakes,completely. These cars are very old at this point and you never know who was working on them over the years,and what their qualifications were. I was trying to undo lines at the prop valve and they would just break,rather easily just trying to undo them! Not good,and certainly not safe. Check your brakes folks. It is great fun to go fast....but even more fun to be able to stop when one is done going fast!
Off the soapbox.....

Just an update. The car has an 8 3/4 I am assuming out of an A body car, but apparently a later model Dart. Whoever did the swap obviously did not know what they were doing and did not change the backing plates, and went ahead and put the sbp brake setup on the car. Very stupid, and very dangerous! I acquired all new brake components AND the correct backing plates and it is amazing how well it all fits!
And now a word on safety. I bought this car for street and strip use. It has a lot of good components that will eventually make it a nice car, however the previous owner(s) were interested in going fast, only. The entire brake system is getting replaced by me including all the lines and hoses. If you are driving an old hot rod it would behoove you to investigate the brakes,completely. These cars are very old at this point and you never know who was working on them over the years,and what their qualifications were. I was trying to undo lines at the prop valve and they would just break,rather easily just trying to undo them! Not good,and certainly not safe. Check your brakes folks. It is great fun to go fast....but even more fun to be able to stop when one is done going fast!
Off the soapbox.....

VERY well said!!!!

glad to see you got it figured out. What did you find the backing plates to be. Were they for 10 x 2.5" brakes? if so i may be interested in buying them to help fund your new brake parts. Only if you are willing to sell. I'm currious to know how bad the p.o had thing messed up for you!

-
Back