Secret second hobbies

-
Wow, glad I revived this thread. I finished the timing tower tonight. Gonna figure out where I want these buildings to be. Moving em around to figure out where the best spot will be. I have a hot dog stand I need to build next. I want to get some more people and some potta pottys lol

View attachment 1715988069

View attachment 1715988070

View attachment 1715988071

View attachment 1715988072
Mat, if you lived nearby me, I'd buy me a slot car and come visit you. WAY COOL, THANKS FOR SHARING!

Mat, if you lived nearby me, I'd buy me a slot car and come visit you. WAY COOL, THANKS FOR SHARING!
If your ever in the area, stop by. I have my restored vintage cars that never see track time, however I have a bunch of the newer TOMY AFX SRT "bullets" with rare earth magnets that I let anybody use who comes over and wants to play.

The only “hobbies” I have stayed with my entire life are hunting and cars. I was big into climbing for ten years and I’ll still go to the gym every once in a while. Guns also come and go.

88F8EB5E-B32E-41D8-9AC3-0381E7FBB577.jpeg

C6AE4BB7-8A4E-4BAE-A1EE-458CD0CA407B.jpeg

Past hobbies
R/C airplanes (stick built, no ARF crap)
Model Cars, have a bunch I need to build.
Shooting (still do it, but not nearly enough)

Current stuff
Building AR's
Wood working
Metal working
Welding (need to learn to use my TIG properly)
Mopars
CNC related machines (Laser, Router, 3D printer etc)
Drones
Shibari

Starting/Planning
Metal bumping
Header Construction
Head porting...

No, I do NOT have time for it all so something will need to fall to the wayside.... My mind never stops and I love the "old ways"... Love old tools, old forgotten "tech", etc.

Ever since I was a kid (a few (many) decades ago) I was into Quarter Horses. By the time I got my drivers lisence I wanted a "fast" car with a 4 speed, but dad I would I would kll my fool self! So had a fast horse. We were poor enough so I had a job after school every day but Mon. and12 hours Sat. at the local A & P Grocery. It paid for my horse feed. I learned to have a better horse, I had to learn how to start then, and train them. I learned how to find a good prospect I could afford and train him for a worthwhile job. And that other people with $ would pay for a good one.

When I go into old cars in the 80s I found that car hobbies cost $$ unless you can learn all that is needed, go find a good prospect, and sell it to someone with $$ and thus pay for MY cars.

Past hobbies

Current stuff
Building AR's
Wood working
Metal working
Mopars
Drones
Shibari

Starting/Planning
Metal bumping
Header Construction
Head porting...

No, I do NOT have time for it all so something will need to fall to the wayside.... My mind never stops and I love the "old ways"... Love old tools, old forgotten "tech", etc.
You and I have very similar paths, past and present. My dad was a machinist and I learned to run a South Bend lathe when I was 11. Before I got my Cuda I had five lathes and three mills in the garage. I rebuild them and restore them including having taught myself to scrape the way surfaces. Regarding time, I decided to retire last month at 55 so that I have time to enjoy my family and hobbies. My Dad passed when he was 58 and never had a chance to truly enjoy everything he had worked so hard for and I'm hoping to avoid that.

You and I have very similar paths, past and present. My dad was a machinist and I learned to run a South Bend lathe when I was 11. Before I got my Cuda I had five lathes and three mills in the garage. I rebuild them and restore them including having taught myself to scrape the way surfaces. Regarding time, I decided to retire last month at 55 so that I have time to enjoy my family and hobbies. My Dad passed when he was 58 and never had a chance to truly enjoy everything he had worked so hard for and I'm hoping to avoid that.

Retiring at 55 would be great. No bueno for me with two teens at home still. That said, I'm thinking about how to set up for retirement and keep busy. A southbend and a bridgeport would be welcome additions to my shop. Until then I'm compromising by building a CNC router that will cut aluminum and even steel if I'm careful. For that though I'll opt to put a small mill-head on it instead of the 24k rpm spindle when steel would be cut. Simple swap and tram.

Scraping ways is some awesome old school skill. Hat's off to you on that.

Past hobbies

Current stuff
Building AR's
Wood working
Metal working
Mopars
Drones
Shibari

Starting/Planning
Metal bumping
Header Construction
Head porting...

What kind of RC airplanes were you flying?

I'm taking acoustic bass guitar lessons (yes it has a pick up for an amp) I know a couple of bands that will let me play open mike nights when I'm good enuff

PXL_20230415_002308604.MP.jpg

PXL_20230415_002258918.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of RC airplanes were you flying?

I had a PT-60 high wing trainer and had just finished a Super Sportster 60 rebuild I got from someone who messed up the wing and wanted out of it. I also fell in love the the WACO YM-5 for which I still have a stick kit. They fly like kites. Right about that time the local club lost the field to a WalMart and shortly after, we moved to England for a spell. Now I mess with quad-copters.

I collect Hamm's beer signs and other Kansas City related brewerianna. I've met a TON of great people and travel around the Midwest going to shows and partying with my "beer friends".

Yv-oQmuq906uKRUVBOabO-Hw=w695-h927-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Collecting autographed guitars from "meet and greets".
I dabble in rarer firearms.
Recently sold my sport-bike collection.

I had a PT-60 high wing trainer and had just finished a Super Sportster 60 rebuild I got from someone who messed up the wing and wanted out of it. I also fell in love the the WACO YM-5 for which I still have a stick kit. They fly like kites. Right about that time the local club lost the field to a WalMart and shortly after, we moved to England for a spell. Now I mess with quad-copters.
I hit the like button, but then thought I have to say it is a total bummer about losing the field. it is getter harder to find ways of having fun these days.

How many of these are yours? I am researching my first purchase now. I started looking at amphibious planes and I see that I can get a good one for $100K plus. Any words of advice?
If it floats, flies, or fu**s, rent it.
I was looking at purchasing, right now things are out of control. Even Cessna 172s.
A friend just had his Piper engine overhauled. About 40k.
As mentions, paper trail and electronics.

I have not hunted any "arrowhead" points sine I was about 15. OK so that is 60 decades ago. I am amazed at the m of people on FB sites that cater to arrowhead hunting. Fun hobby IF you have access to areas to look.

Fun hobby IF you have access to areas to look.
Any public land is available for top surface pick up finds only. No digging. Federal law.
I suggest going down to your local creek and walking it. Look at the beach's of cobble stone and arrowheads often times get washed out of the dirt and land on those little beach's past each eddy. Lots of points in the creeks of America. Mostly legal to pick up as well if they have been displaced by water in a creek/river.

I've been known to do a little of this every now and then.....:lol:

1681923116541.jpeg

1681923150776.jpeg

For the first time in just about three years, I took my stick out of it's case to go shoot with a friend of mine at a local pool hall on a Saturday a while back......he thought we were going on a Sunday, so he didn't show up....

So there I was, just about ready to leave when I heard somebody over the PA announce that sign-up for the tournament was going to close in 5 minutes......"HUH? Tournament you say?!?!?!"

Turns out it was a BCA sanctioned $20 per head affair with prize money added to the pot. 44 people signed up. No practice, no warm-ups, no plans of even playing a tourney since my stick hasn't been out of the case for so long....paid me out a little over $80 for finishing in 7th place.

Could've probably done a little better with some practice.....

Last edited:
-
Back