sending unit replacement

-

williaml

Reaction score
okay so tonight I'm going to drain out the gas in the tank and attempt to replace sending unit. The one in there looks like it has little tabs around the outside to possibly tap a screwdriver or brass tool to turn. However the new one doesn't have any place to tap tight. Has anyone come across this? Do you just turn till tight with your hand?

As always thanks again?

okay so tonight I'm going to drain out the gas in the tank and attempt to replace sending unit. The one in there looks like it has little tabs around the outside to possibly tap a screwdriver or brass tool to turn. However the new one doesn't have any place to tap tight. Has anyone come across this? Do you just turn till tight with your hand?

As always thanks again?
My experience has been, that you will need to re-use the original one. The new rings do not seat tight enough. Everyone I have installed has developed a leak.

Re-use the original gasket? The sending unit face looks different. The sending unit is bad and cannot be re-used.

The tabs you see is a SEPARATE retaining ring, and that's what HemiTM was saying to replace. No, I would not use the original gasket. The only thing the service manual says is to "use spanner wrench C-3582"

Frankly, I don't think anyone has ever seen one of those tools.

oh okay so there are retaining tabs I have to bend out to remove the sending unit. The replace back the tabs to the new one to hold it tight to the tank. That makes sense.

Never have had any expierence with this is the retaining ring stationary or does it spin out?

You don't bend the tabs you simply tap on them counter-clockwise with a punch and it'll free up quickly. Use the old retainer ring with a new rubber gasket and sender, tap it clockwise till it's set and you're good to go.

Well I did what I set out to do. I got the sending unit working however I do have a small leak. I think I have to drain again and readjust the lock washer I might have put it in different than it came out.

Since we are on this topic, what about when you have a new tank and a new sending unit? Both are from Specter (made in Canada) and both came with seals and lock rings. In this case should I use the new stuff?

The new lock rings are the same diameter as the original, but the recess in the tank to for the lock ring to fit is larger, leading to some slop in fitment (it tightens down, but you need to mess with it to make it center up.

Here you can see the gap around the edge of the lock ring:
DSC_0353.jpg

The diameters have always been a little different. OEM lock ring would move off center in the OEM tanks.

Ditto RedFish. You always have to tap the ring a bit to center it, whether factory or after-market. I usually have to bend the lock-ring tabs to stick out a little more to keeps it tight after it settles in the grooves. Coat the lock-ring with a little oil and it will slide in easier.

superdart, that is a nice-looking setup. It looks like you have a fitting for return line, which makes future EFI easier. Smart that you are using "fuel injection" type hose clamps.

-
Back