Set up for a smallblock race engine on pump gas 600hk

-

68 barracuda 68

Reaction score
Hello guys, im going to get a new smallblock build..what i want is over 600hk in it and want set up for a engine, thinking on 408 with ported edelbrock heads, 11:1 je pistons, does anyone have a great setup that gives over 600hp on pump gas?

340 Stroker with W2 heads putting about 525-550 at the wheels in mine. It’s all about the heads. Without decent flowing heads, you won’t get there.

My sbm 383 peaked at 575 when it was originally built in 1993... Looking for another 50 or so on this current freshen.

340 Stroker with W2 heads putting about 525-550 at the wheels in mine. It’s all about the heads. Without decent flowing heads, you won’t get there.
Exactly what I’m building right now. 422 inch with W2s flowing 302@.600” Damn thing better make 600 for the coin I’ve got wrapped up in it. 10.75-1 pump gas (93).

What’s the red flag? That he used a production block or the fact that one actually existed in a wrecking yard?

"...The foundation of this builds begins with a production Dodge 340 engine block Brian plucked from a local wrecking yard..." I'm already seeing a red flag.
I'm guessing the pluck took place in the 70s.

Over 600 HP on pump gas with a MOPAR small block stroker? It cannot be done, can it?

Over 600 HP on pump gas with a MOPAR small block stroker? It cannot be done, can it?

The other night i was up racing at a track i hadnt been to in 10 years. Used to race 10.0 index up there( Mid Michigan Motorplex). Made a lot of friends racing there, and met several of them i hadnt seen in years.
One of them is a guy named Jack Barna’s dad. He heard my name over the loudspeaker and came over to my pit spot.
Turns out his son Jack owns a very sucessful machine shop/ Mopar slanted engine building business, and was the one who actually built the shortblock in my current car( 360). Its called Valley machine.
Anyhow, guess they just finished building a motor for a dyno competition( think its enginemasters but wont swear to it)
Stock stroke 360 that is pump gas friendly. Has the Eddie Victor heads on it that dad said they got to go 380+. Anyhow, thus far they have made 761 horse with it on pump swill.
Meaning to call him here soon. Gonna have him look over this 418 i have before i use it next season, while talking about that will get particulars on the Victor motor. His dad said after the dyno sessions he plans to sell it. Not a spring eater cam either, i was told. He used a production Magnum block for this build, BTW
So yes, over 600 is more than possible. Heads are obviously key

Last edited:
I just talked to Jack Barna
Motor is 360 Magnum 100 over, stock stroke, 775 gross lift roller cam. Compression is 11.95. 2.175 custom intake valves. Holley intake with 2 carbs. Has made 771 thus far.
Some stuff he is limited on because of the dyno challenge rules. Its called “ Race Engine Challenge” and is being held in Charlotte, NC on Oct 4th. Will be live streamed.
Mopar Muscle will soon have a feature on this build. Pretty cool stuff

The other night i was up racing at a track i hadnt been to in 10 years. Used to race 10.0 index up there( Mid Michigan Motorplex). Made a lot of friends racing there, and met several of them i hadnt seen in years.
One of them is a guy named Jack Barna’s dad. He heard my name over the loudspeaker and came over to my pit spot.
Turns out his son Jack owns a very sucessful machine shop/ Mopar slanted engine building business, and was the one who actually built the shortblock in my current car( 360). Its called Valley machine.
Anyhow, guess they just finished building a motor for a dyno competition( think its enginemasters but wont swear to it)
Stock stroke 360 that is pump gas friendly. Has the Eddie Victor heads on it that dad said they got to go 380+. Anyhow, thus far they have made 761 horse with it on pump swill.
Meaning to call him here soon. Gonna have him look over this 418 i have before i use it next season, while talking about that will get particulars on the Victor motor. His dad said after the dyno sessions he plans to sell it. Not a spring eater cam either, i was told. He used a production Magnum block for this build, BTW
So yes, over 600 is more than possible. Heads are obviously key
Geez Louise, I was just trying to be cute. I know it can be done on 91 octane pump gas. I built this one to go 629 HP with the iron LAX heads..................

Is 426ci 360 a small block?

“ Race Engine Challenge” and is being held in Charlotte, NC on Oct 4th. Will be live streamed.
Mopar Muscle will soon have a feature on this build. Pretty cool stuff

how or where can I watch this live event . ?

how or where can I watch this live event . ?

Go to ...... Race engine Challenge...... for details and competitors. Several small block mopars entered, including Jack Barna from Valley Performance and machine with the Victor headed 360
Picture of it under .... blog entries....... on the Valley performance and machine website. Sharp lookin piece!

Jack i found out Sat night at the track built the shortblock in my car, didnt know it till i ran into his dad, an old friend and found out his kid was a top shelf builder. Small world

Go to ...... Race engine Challenge...... for details and competitors. Several small block mopars entered, including Jack Barna from Valley Performance and machine with the Victor headed 360
Picture of it under .... blog entries....... on the Valley performance and machine website. Sharp lookin piece!

Jack i found out Sat night at the track built the shortblock in my car, didnt know it till i ran into his dad, an old friend and found out his kid was a top shelf builder. Small world

now if I can just remember to watch it I did not see any email reminders .

-
Back