Not open for further replies.

winstoninwisc

Taint easy livin free,season ticket ona 1wayride
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Contact seller
how is evry body shipping there bigger parts ,doors,bumpers, trunklids

and why do buyers think shipping is cheap, not the little stuff but heavey metal

i have bumpers doors and trunklids to ship who do you use that is reasonable
or are we all in the same boat

and for 9 other people, steel heads complete are over 75 lbs $80.00 is cheap for shipping

Try getting quotes from greyhound. I have heard lots of guys say that shipping with them is resonable and they will ship larger pieces. JMO

I personally don't care what shipping costs. It is what it is. No one is making a profit on it. I ship USPS if possible. If someone doesn't like the shipping costs, there is not much you can do. It's an incurred expense. Never tried Greyhound, though I have heard of it. It just kind of worries me.

I heard alot of stuff gets miss placed threw grayhound? Like picking up someone else luggage.

Greyhound beats the living S*#T outof everything they ship!! Use them as a last resort only! I had a guy ship a door to me & he sent pictures before he sent it & when I got it you could see where they hit it & bent the lower edge up with the forks of the fork lift! Then the kid who brought it out to me when I picked it up at the terminal could barely carry it & banged it into everything imaginable as he tried to get it through the door. Very unprofessional.

You'd be amazed what can go USPS. Bumpers, Rear End Housings, 8.75 Chunks complete, Crankshafts, Bare Doors. As long as you can keep it under 70 pounds, they'll take it.

I sent a driveshaft through USPS. I wrapped it in bubble wrap and plastic wrap and carried it in. Big and long and odd shaped and it cost like $18 to ship across the country. I love USPS.

I shipped a bulge hood using Greyhound. I wrapped the crap out it with cardboard, and taped foam blocks to all of the corners. The old guy wasn't too happy about taking it in, but it was under their weight limit, so he had to. Shipped about 800 miles with no problems.

I've used Carolina and some of the other freight companies for shipping engines and rearends. It always worked good for me. I always had the item already on a pallet so all they had to do was band it to the pallet.

I bought a Barracuda convertible trunk lid out of Georgia, had it shipped Greyhound and it arrived in perfect shape. The seller secured it really well in cardboard and taped it up real good

Greyhound, never had any problems. Always wrap in heavy cardboard. On fenders and such wrap in odd shape, that way they cant stack stuff on top of it.

I got a Dart trunk lid shipped through Greyhound. No problems. One thing about GH is there has to be a terminal near you.

I bought a OD 4 speed and it was shipped in a box through USPS, If I remember correctly, and apparently they dropped it on my porch. I didn't unwrap it for a couple of weeks and that is when I realized they cracked the ears off the bottom 2 holes on the case.

I had a rearend shipped to me FedEx with no problems. I asked the guy selling it to disassemble it...axels, housing, chunk and I got all 3 pieces no problems. $75 disassembled vs 385 freight.

I've had A 66 dart trunk shipped,a complete cowl section, a hood for a 66, a windshield and a bumper. I didn't have damage on any parts that were shipped to me but they were packages correctly too! if you cheap out on packaging it's gonna be busted or dented no matter where you go. I used to work for a service company and the used all the shippers. EVERYBODY damages your stuff sooner or later but the big 2 shippers damage things a lot more than the greyhound in my experience .(ups,fedex) and and it's a whole lot cheaper. it's all I ever use to ship big bulky items
trunk was 80.00 ,cowl was 65.00, windshield was 56.50 and bumper was 62.00. forgot how much the hood cost. sure beat the the 3 others at almost double for usps and triple for the other 2.

Size becomes an issue with some of these parts. I' mparting out a '92 S-10 extended cab and have got requests from guys back east for some larger items. Got a guy in Milwaukee who wants the jump seats, but the shipping is going to be over $100... Greyhound isn't much cheaper and they are not convenient for me (not very close to where I live with poor parking).

For smaller but heavy things like heads, did you try wrapping them one at a time and going USPS Parcel Post (now they call it Standard Post). If you do it this way, it can be surprisingly cheap (compared to other ways, still not super cheap). While shipping is what it is, my advice is to always try multiple options, not just carriers, but different ways of shipping the same thing. There really can be a heck of a difference, and I think sometimes people don't realize that and are paying too much for shipping (sometimes).

if you ship a lot of big bulky heavy things you might want to look into setting up a account with fedex freight yes it's a bit of a pain in the rear to drop the item off at a terminal or you can pay to have them pick it up.
for example i just shipped a complete rb to iowa from pa for $143 which cant be beat even by the guys with a pickup & trailer.

thanx for answers i"m sure every 1 has this simmualar prob greyhound closed here in madison wisc. so closest is in milliwaukee wisc about 1 1/2 away hope this helps others trying to ship or buy wish we had more controll but we dont just kinda want people to understand shipping is what it is as some 1 stated and yes i have shipped heads usps $80.00 is a average starting cost but must be packaged separatley in 95)% of the v=8 cases

Yes, shipping is what it is. My only point was that some people are better at figuring out the best way of shipping things than others are. It does happen occasionally that someone pays more than they have to just because they don't do enough research. And obviously distance has a lot to do with the cost also. Sometimes I've been surprised how little it costs to ship some big or heavy things if it's only a couple states away. But in the end, assuming someone has figured the best way, it is what it is. That's why I always charge actual shipping cost only, as a separate figure from the item cost (unless it's a very very small item). I have turned down 2 deals because the calculated shipping was insanely high, when I had just shipped the exact same size package the same distance for half the price (safely packed). I don't think this happens too often, for me, only the two times in the 100's of things I've bought and had shipped, but it occasionally happens.

If you ship something in a box make sure that it the box has 0 air space inside of it, that is where the box will cave into and once it starts it does not stop. When I was at USPS I used to laugh at some of the stuff people would ship. Coconuts, concrete blocks even a 2 foot long double headed rubber d&&do... (that was what I mailed to a buddy once) pretty much anything. I would also cringe when I picked up a box and its contents slid around inside of it. If your box can withstand the maximum amount of weigh that the carrier allows to be placed on top of it you will be good to go, other wise it WILL cave in and then you will be one of those whining customers. Seems a lot of folks think that there package is the only one that USPS/UPS?FedEx will be dealing with and that is where the problem starts....but hell, I only worked there for 20 years so take it for what it is worth.

The most important thing with shipping is package your parts so that they can take a fall from ten feet. I've shipped axles, engines, transmission/transfercase assy.'s and had hood's, doors, headers, heads, and a ton of other parts shipped to me. USPS has always been great, so has FedX and Greyhound . UPS I dont, care for and will not use. If your using truck freight, shop around at least three different firms.
If you need a part, shipping is just part of the deal. Bite the bullett.

i have used fed-ex , usps, and some trucking companies. trucking companies work well for me.. as does fed-ex usps is the easiest to use for me.. but some things are just too big or heavy. to ship engines and transmissions.. i have used a crate.. saves alot of headaches

Stupid ways that people pack things sometimes could be another whole thread, and probably has been. I can't believe some of the lack of common sense in packing stuff. I've gotten fragile NOS items just wrapped in paper, or collectibles where the box is part of the value with just a shipping label stuck on it. That's why I always distrust when people say "free shipping" on ebay... because they're going to do the cheapest possible thing to ship usually, with no care at all about protecting the item. I'm more than happy to pay what it takes to get it to me protected! But, I digress, that's another situation altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back