shots from the garage...

-
Got another 8" converter on the way to Lenny.... we're going to tighten it up some and see what happens. Guy can't ever have too many torque converters!

I will have to agree with that statement...

Jay with the glide I had to do the same thing but I went under the trans cross member.
I have the cheete shifter and a 727 in my 68 barracuda. went thru the floor just in front of the console, and around "under the tail housing. mad a lite alum. brace for it to make sure it doesn`t try to lay on anything. worked well underneath.

Cheetah shifter is long gone.... PPP rear cable exit, rear entry to trans in the car now.

it's softened the hit and slowed the car down. I haven't seen a 60ft under 1.34 since we loosened the present 8" from 5800 to 6200.... HOWEVER, at March Meet our 60ft times didn't vary more than .002 the whole weekend which made the car incredibly predictable. Same deal at Sacramento.... we're leaving this converter in through the Heritage Series race in Salt Lake, but I'm "mentally playing with myself" about perhaps a 5200-5400 stall and set up my 5.30 gears for a visit to Barona. I'll be calling Lenny tomorrow to discuss the plan as the converter showed up at his shop yesterday.

well the trans has been r/r and the new converter is in. hopefully in the sweltering heat of the weekend I'll start to pull the rear apart. Chickened out on the 5.13 gear, we'll be putting 4.56 in since I have a set. 4.8 would be nice. Towed all the way to Salt Lake to red eye and then watch it rain. 1180 mile round trip for pretty much nothing!!! the games we play.....

Ouch.... Thats a long way home to think about the big red eye.... Better luck next time out...

all buttoned up on the front side of things..... hopefully this weekend we'll have this end sealed up too. just making a little adjustment to the 4.56's since I have a set here. Wasn't "bold" enough to throw the 5.13 in. Have a race at an 1/8th mile track on the 9th, but probably won't have much "tune time" so we won't hit the car that hard.

43294982-0019-423C-92A7-E87DA114FE10_zpsuxjfrhwx.jpg

all buttoned up on the front side of things..... hopefully this weekend we'll have this end sealed up too. just making a little adjustment to the 4.56's since I have a set here. Wasn't "bold" enough to throw the 5.13 in. Have a race at an 1/8th mile track on the 9th, but probably won't have much "tune time" so we won't hit the car that hard.

43294982-0019-423C-92A7-E87DA114FE10_zpsuxjfrhwx.jpg
When did you go Dana?

a little after the W5 project came alive. We twisted a set of resplined axles within an "nth" of their lives, and then proceeded to twist the Dutchman axles that were in the Mirada. Power/transbrake/slicks are hard on stuff.... 35 spline Strange are straight as can be with the Dana.

Note the adjusters by the caps..... Super 60 from Dr. Diff :)

Last edited:
two weeks ago we figured out a couple things..... A: the obvious, it sucks to work in a hot garage. B: it REALLY sucks trying to set up a used set of 4.56 gears in a D60 on your back in the aforementioned garage. After about six in/out I finally figured the pattern was race car "good enough" (define: don't care if they are noisy, just as long as they don't break!).
With the car still on stands I ran it in gear to at least circulate some fluid and adjusted the trans fluid level from the converter change.

I headed out Friday at noon for the Saturday night Match Race at Barona. This afforded me two things: A great parking spot, and the opportunity to have a few cold ones with the locals that I maybe get to see 1-2 times a year. My Saturday race involved running a small block powered Pinto that from my "intel" had run a best of a 5.9ish something at Irwindale a few weeks back. I pretty much assumed that he'd be in the 6.10-6.13 range up on the mountain so about a month ago I challenged him, he accepted, and it was ON!

...and that's where the thrash began. Since changing the stall in my 8" converter, while the consistency was deadly, it was at the cost of some 60 time. I already felt like I was taking a knife to a gunfight with the current combo so I conjured up the new tighter converter to get my 60 hit back down, and threw a little gear at it to get the load moving quicker. Track was marginal during testing due to the 135 track temp and the amount of street cars running. I lined up for a test hit and there basically wasn't a groove to speak of. Let go of the trans brake and was greeted to a 1.56 60 and enough tire spin to sent the air shifter pretty much straight to third. At that point I just decided to wait until our round 1 race, and since the track was marginal, opted to unhook the shift timer and just go about it by hand. Round 1 he got me on the tree by a slim enough margin that I hardly noticed driving around him. I lifted early and coasted through with a 6.20 something at 103. Not sure why I did that.... It was heads up, but old stripe taking habits die hard. I knew I was going to catch hell for that in the lanes when we met up again..... and I did :). Round 2 was pretty much the same. similar light and I drove it out for a 6.12 @ 112 thus ending my competitors "undefeated" status at Matchrace Madness. All in all, a fun time and got to watch some great matches.

Taking a break from the heat. Next race is in Bakersfield in September. Will still be warm, but we have a two day final points weekend for the Heritage Hot Rod Series. I'll be leaving the converter and gears in the car.... unless I conjur up some 4.88's. Also got a deal on a set of brand new front runner tires so that'll take some more weight off the front.

Which weekend is that in Bakersfield...suppose to be a Mega Mopar Series on the weekend of the sept 16-17...dont see it on Famoso website anymore...

I see it now on the famoso website...same weekend as the heritage race

well Famoso in September didn't disappoint. The forecast up until a week before was calling for low 80's, so of course, it was 98 to 100 by Sunday afternoon. We got in on Friday, got a parking spot lined up by some friends, and set up camp. I'd pre entered for the Heritage Series race, but also went to the tower and opted in the Mopar Race for $40. Figured it was free data if nothing else. Made 3 test hits all at 9.53, so we called it good and waited for eliminations for the Hot Rod class. At $125 a day for entry you were pretty much guaranteed the there were no "ducks" in the lanes. I treed my opponent, grabbed stripe, and on came the win light. Cool! Picked up my slip and cruised back to the pits and started cool down stuff when suddenly I noted this stream of red coming from under the car. Looked under and fluid was dripping at a pretty good rate toward the back. Tailshaft? cooler line? Trans hot and pushing out vent? I pulled the trans tunnel out and all was dry from the top. No cracks noted... Out came the jack and stands. Got it up in the air and to our amazement... the low/reverse band anchor pin was MIA.... yep, GONE. I've NEVER seen this happen. Most the time it can't happen as there is a casting on the tail shaft that won't allow it, but somewhere in this trannys life it had been removed. Well... the trans had shifted fine, but there was a pretty good film of fluid on the back of the car, so I had to have happened at speed. In the golf cart we went to the top end. We asked the top end safety team if they had seen anything and described what we were looking for. He allowed us between cars, to walk the wall and look. About 5 minutes into this he yelled that they had it at the starting line... Ok, that would be odd. It would have been leaking pretty good and seems they would have shut things down. On the golf cart we went and up to the starting line.... where he handed me a hood pin. Crap! Back up to the top end we went where just before the 2nd turn off we spotted the pin. Grabbed it up and headed back to the pits. We dropped the pan, retrieved the parts and I started trying to assemble them. Getting the low/rev arm set up on the bench is one thing, but laying on your back attempting it was not working out well. After about the 10th time I'd pretty much given up. I grabbed all the parts, went to the bench, brake cleaned them, and taped the strut link to the adjuster pivot.... yes, tape. Crawled under the car and slammed it home. Got the pan up, cleaned up the underside of the car, topped off the fluid and still made round 2! My .003 light got me the buy so we got a good test hit. We're moving on! grabbed the 3rd and 4th round and met #2 in points in the final. I needed this round BAD!! I knew my opponent had gone to another final and red lit, so I was betting he wouldn't be pushing the tree. We had run a 48 in the third round, and back to a 53 in the fourth. We mulled over the data and decided a 50 would be the call. We launched and I a .30 light to his .60.... I was reeling him in when the front left corner of my hood lifted.... at that point about all I could do is stare at it and hope it would..... BAM!!! there went the hood, and I broke out by a bunch.... I had him.... I had him. Grabbed the hood from the top end and got back to the pits and we called it a night. Luckily we had lined up a motel for Saturday night. After that day it was shower and bed.... we hadn't even had dinner.

Sunday we made two time passes after utilizing the same roll of Gorilla tape that repaired the trans to make the hood usable, but after the previous days events we started looking things over. The night before in the lanes we had to back up as there were two cars in the wrong lane. I noted something didn't feel right, it like grabbed backing up, but all was well going forward. Jacked it up and our inspection found a caliper bolt was MISSING!! yes.... we were making 140mph passes with a caliper loose. Luck was on our side and we did find a racer with a bolt. At that point we wrenched on a whole bunch of things checking and rechecking. We passed on a couple test hits and pulled the valve covers and ran the valves and checked the springs. We made it past round 1, and #1 and #2 went out first round. This gave me a mathematical chance to actually win this thing, so we skipped round 1 of the mopar race. We had business to take care of. 1 more round would have got me back into #2, but it wasn't to be. We gave up .15 at the tree and ran a 49 on a 9.50 dial. As hot as it was, I didn't think it had it in it. Third place is where we landed. It was a fun run. As of now there is no way in L I'd do it again.... but we'll see.

If nothing else, Sunday morning we ran a 9.464 which was a new personal best.... and the air wasn't even that great. Would be fun to hit that track when the DA was respectable.

Big thanks to Tony (70aarcuda) and his daughters along with the central valley mopar guys (Mike O, Mike C, Mark B) for the help and general support.

EA100F03-F5EC-42F1-B752-AE1F3AB8A012_zpsihxdcwk6.jpe

8D9F7382-D5D0-4BBD-8BC2-E74B9F9D02B0_zpsy4eavj8l.jpg

E581383C-9D98-4DD3-9C45-A4A42DE56DC9_zpsl1c2fqef.jpg

yeah,,,but we all had fun...LOL

You coming for the Street Car Nationals in November?

Last edited:
YES..... it was a VERY good time! Street Car is my next slated event. New hood ordered, new fans, trying to find a radiator but not having luck for what I want.... the search goes on :)

More amazing discoveries.... the cooling fan has been noisy for quite awhile. Removed it from the radiator and found it wouldn't even spin a revolution by hand. wonder how many amps that was drawing! Worse yet, it appears the fan had been hitting the radiator just ever so slightly. I never run the fan going down the track though I've forgotten to kill it on a couple occasions. I know my dad just left it on. Being the fan is in the front I'm assuming that at speed it was getting pushed back some. The core it was hitting has got to be paper thin... I can't believe it wasn't leaking. Ordering twin 12" fans and will get a new radiator coming Monday.

Did I mention returning to the pits after finding the pin the golf cart died never to be heard running again? Dropped the trans pan today to find more glitter and some small pieces of hard parts. Think my racing life has become a country western song

The cart gave up the ghost too !!!!!! Daaaaang.........
Sounds more like the "Rodeo Song"..To Me....lol

*For those that dont care for bad language please mute the volume*

Last edited:
New hood a month out, dual 12" fans on the way, custom dual pass aluminum radiator with -6 fittings for trans cooler two weeks out, plate 10"x10" trans cooler also coming. Hope to get the trans torn down next week.... If it's all good, other than the cleaning it needs, I guess we'll point fingers at a failed torque converter.

-
Back