shots from the garage...

-
Oh My.. a snap ring got away and made a mess... Did you find out what ring got loose? Hope it didnt tear up to much on the way out.

I was "almost" convinced that just maybe it was the torque converter.... tore the trans down tonight and found that my front clutch can also double as a tambourine now.... strange failure. Think I'm done for the season. Lots of things I want to "re-do" on the car, and quite a few things that we've just let wear out so to speak. Time to regroup for 17.

Dropped the trans off with Dave at Pro Trans last weekend in hopes that we can finally get this turd to live. He hadn't seen the issue we're fighting with the return springs coming apart, nor has anyone else I've talked to. What we're going to do is to change the front clutch piston to a design that retains the springs in a better fashion. We figured out that the front drum is a TCS piece and the spring retaining method is just small cups. Even a stock piston has raised towers that the springs seat over. We had about 200 passes on that same drum with our W5 mill, but the W8 is quite a bit more powerful and we have been spinning it a little harder. Hopefully it will be done soon. Got some new piece is this week. Going to twin 12" fans and a new crossflow radiator. I ended up buying one from prcracing.com Custom build and didn't break the bank in my opinion. I had a trans cooler added to it as well as the side mounting plates.

9D8C4E72-6F5E-470A-8064-8E4934EFF223_zpsrn75qg7r.jpg

next will be fabbing up a bracket for the fans so they can be quickly removed... I'm not a fan of those zip tie retainers that go through the fins.

Two 12" fans here, still no word on the new hood, plate and fin trans cooler showed up today. Trans is done so I'll pick that up in Vegas at the divisional race next weekend.... hopefully that won't hurt too bad $$$.... but I'm really starting to look at this mild Griner equipped 904 I have sitting here. Would have to have a driveshaft made as the one we used is too long since the S60 rear install. Only downside is that the converter we have was spec'ed to our iron head 360 and I realized it's not built for the rigors of trans brake use..... although we did. Wonder where that important bit of info slipped past the build oh so many years ago. Probably been since 06 that the trans has been in a car.

slow going.... no motivation. considering I "could" go racing right after new years, I should have this thing going. I kind of miss long winters. I think my cars were better maintained with the off time. It's really easy to run your stuff into the ground when you can race 10 months out of the year. relocated my driveline rpm to the tailshaft of the trans. I had it on the slip yoke, but this is much more stable and out of the way.
A4D9EAEC-92F0-42D2-A405-6615B5267E83_zpsqljsuwqg.jpg

A32C8FB7-D08A-4EAB-9B7A-C62E81021506_zpstvefrpij.jpg

the 727 is bolted back in place with the "fun" converter.... but not before we put the 904 in to get some drive shaft measurements :)
D7DA5EB3-1D0A-4245-B7ED-C1026D67403D_zpswfja9w7k.jpg

Wow...that is high tech....
Yeah..cars are better maintained went they are parked in the garage.....lol

....and then there's this. 34lb hood (not including tape from our last "fun") is being replaced by this 14lb Unlimited hood. Preliminary fitment looks a-ok! Ordered some more Quiklatch mini's to secure it.
485DC137-5D5D-4F2E-81CE-963128AB5083_zpsg1keq5tk.jpg

Wow.... busy whirlwind winter. Car got thrown on the back burner for sure. Got the radiator fit. Kicking myself for not going AN fittings on the radiator hoses. That makes life so much easier.... oh well. Hood.... that's another story. What I found is that it takes a looonngg time if you're trying to fit a hood by yourself in a garage. Luckily a good friend made the hour+ drive down from Vegas and by 4am last Saturday we had things buttoned up. Get some paint shot on it and we'll be hitting the track in April in Vegas.

.....and the front clutch piston in all it's glory. No idea what happened here. Pretty sure I felt it first round at Famoso back in September on sunday, but we still ran the number on our losing second round hit. We now have a piston that retains the springs better. Also broke I tang off of the pump and the other was barely hanging on. Trans is fixed again so we'll see if it holds up this time. Can't believe I had the pos apart three times last season. These things are usually super reliable.

91722B9E-27F0-4B0F-BC17-4B90F37178CC_zpsir6tqebt.jpg

EBF445ED-3FF5-48C6-BE16-FB210B0FB5A6_zpsein1ehx4.jpg

CBC35C0F-D0EB-4AE0-929E-974A17B8B67B_zpskoh1lnfy.jpg

Sits for 5 months.... fires off at the crack of the throttle. Great bracket mill!

seventh pass and trans is not moving.... did my 2nd gear burnout, let off the line lock and let it roll forward, got out of it and coasted to a stop. shifted to N to clear out and prepare for my 1st round pass. shifted into 1...... and nothing. No reverse, towed back to the pits, loaded up and went home. I'm about ready to find a spot in the yard for this trans and simply do another one. I've never seen/heard anyone having so many issues with a 727.... hell we beat on the one in the Mirada for 15 years before it started to creep when applying the t-brake. New stator support rings fixed that! I also caught a front fender with the tire backing out of the pits. I noted the ride height had lowered considerably when aligning it last week.... should have put more preload on the front springs and brought it back up. woulda-coulda-shoulda.... so much for racing in Vegas this weekend.

seventh pass and trans is not moving.... did my 2nd gear burnout, let off the line lock and let it roll forward, got out of it and coasted to a stop. shifted to N to clear out and prepare for my 1st round pass. shifted into 1...... and nothing. No reverse, towed back to the pits, loaded up and went home. I'm about ready to find a spot in the yard for this trans and simply do another one. I've never seen/heard anyone having so many issues with a 727.... hell we beat on the one in the Mirada for 15 years before it started to creep when applying the t-brake. New stator support rings fixed that! I also caught a front fender with the tire backing out of the pits. I noted the ride height had lowered considerably when aligning it last week.... should have put more preload on the front springs and brought it back up. woulda-coulda-shoulda.... so much for racing in Vegas this weekend.
Time for a 904....;-)

I'll start digging around for coffee cans full of cash.... for how often I pull this thing I'd put up with maintaining a smaller trans :)

I'll start digging around for coffee cans full of cash.... for how often I pull this thing I'd put up with maintaining a smaller trans :)
Sounds like that trans needs an exorcism, sorry to hear about your bad luck. If the track is open and the car isn't running I'd be going nuts.

Oh, Crap.... Sorry to hear this Jay.. I was hoping to see some good news with all your hard efforts.
Really like the way that car runs when it get all the stars in line... :)

well if nothing else, we learned in the 5 good passes that tightening up the shocks sure made the launch nice. Pulled the trans last night and sure enough... pump drive lugs mia. One was broken off at the last episode where the front drum springs were all messed up. Figured the pump deal was an effect of that, not a cause.... now, not so sure. If I feel up to it I'll tear it down and inspect today. I want to see how the front clutch looks and will have to clean things up a bit. Not sure where to go from here.... I've tried to fix it, had looked over by some of the best guys in the business.... I'm at a loss over the repeated failures of this thing.

Those front pumps can be finicky... A little warping or tolerance issue and you can really chase your tail.
On the pump gear tab, Was that the H.D. set? Or just the O.E.M. style.... One of My teams just went threw that. After changing the gear set to the H.D. all seems to be in good order. Got about 70 passes on it now. They picked it up from ProTrans, But I think the part was from A&A Trans inventory. Good Steel part.
Just food for thought.
Well Hope it just dumped the pump drive on you... Sometimes we just miss the depth alignment from the converter to the pump?
You know, Don't get it spaced just rite. Hope the converter tab's are in good shape..

converter looks fine, matter of fact, I pulled the other one out of the box and compared measurements. The one I'm currently running seems to be at the most a 1/16" inch longer on the hub. Shouldn't be an issue. The only good pump gear set I have is a high volume set from a 47RE, pretty much what was in there. Pro Trans doesn't have any billet drive gears right now, might call around tomorrow and see what I can find. Good news is that everything else I've broken/messed up over the past 6 mos looks good! Still going to measure up a drive shaft in anticipation of a possible 904 swap. :)

Cool... In that case, Might just be an easy fix if it's just the gear set needing replacement... Not cheep. But easier, I would say... :)

well this showed up today.... guess we'll throw it at Satan727 and see what happens. "should" have the car on the ground again by the end of the weekend. But I'm going to mock up the 904 again and get driveshaft measurements.

74A502F6-9138-4021-B614-F319CE31202D_zpswjzhv4qw.jpg

-
Back