shots from the garage...

-
started unhooking things in preparation for an engine swap.... it's hard to do sometimes when you wrench on things all day, but the wind subsided and the door was up and the beer was cold..... wait...... what's that orange wire from the MSD doing on the "-" terminal of the coil, and the black on the "+".......

started unhooking things in preparation for an engine swap.... it's hard to do sometimes when you wrench on things all day, but the wind subsided and the door was up and the beer was cold..... wait...... what's that orange wire from the MSD doing on the "-" terminal of the coil, and the black on the "+".......

a DUH moment...lol

I expect slaps in the head from you and your entourage..... I will always post the highs... and I'm never too humble not to share the stupid. Biggest thing is I'm trying to think of when this could have occurred. I know we swapped from the MSD Blaster II to the Blaster III as the coil wire with the W8 deal was different. The coils are in the same bracket and I'm almost sure I simply removed the wires, swapped coils, and reinstalled them the way they were.... so was this jacked up for a long time, or who knows. I'm not risking it.... ordered another coil. The high rpm, under load scenario seems to be in line with what I was experiencing. What I'm really going to need is some test hits somewhere.... that or I'm hauling our whole other engine/header set up to Bakersfield with me!! damn I feel dumb... hope that's all it was!

Sounds like you may be on to fixing that problem.... Check with the MSD tech department.. It might not be Done in for? But The box might have something to say about it?

:(

I've got a new coil and access to a spare 6AL box..... Might try to hit Vegas next weekend for TnT.

Was too chicken to wind this sucker up on the nearest county road, so off to Vegas we headed for a test and tune prior to a race today. There was a TON of car there!!! took forever to tech and by the time I got to the lanes it was already 10:30. Test ends at 11:45. As soon as I did my burnout it was pretty clear that things had changed for the better. Ran a 9.69 @ 137.8. Got back to the pits and checked things over and headed straight back to the lanes as they were closing in 10 minutes. Ran a 9.651 @ 138.7. DA was around 3200-3500. My 60 ft times are horrid. will address that at a later date. Right now I'm just happy that we are headed to Bakersfield with a somewhat healthy car.

Very nice passes a body. What were the 1/8 mile incrementals?

6.15 and 6.13 both at 112. I haven't seen a 60ft time under 1.34 since having the stall adjusted from 5800 to 6200. Prior to that we were in the 1.28 to 1.30 range and ran a couple 5.94 1/8 times... but that was at Barona, not Vegas. I ran 9.40's in Bakersfield last year.... but not expecting that this year.

Maybe to much hit from the converter or Time for a different slick? Just my thoughts....

M/T stiff sidewall.... 36 hits on them. On paper the combo should like a 4.56/4.88 year, but nothing I've seen with the combo prefers rpm. Probably shop for another converter to try. Should have done that instead of sending mine in.

I'm not a fan of stiff sidewalls myself.. But that just my show. Just checking in... now it was raining on Saturday afternoon... Thought you might report in from Thursday or Fridays trials?

Well we went into Bakersfield points leader.... and left in 2nd after going out in round 4. The guy I beat in the final in Phoenix won the March Meet. That was 7 rounds so that put him out there a ways. I'm thinking he lives near Bakersfield so I'm sure he'll be heading to Sacramento in April for the next one.... I'm just on the fence as to whether I want to chase this crap. Sure it would be fun and probably a once in a lifetime experience for me..... but it's a lot of money and time for what? Certainly not the money! Got some thinking to do.....

March Meet..... awesome event, but I'm not one to stay at a racetrack for five days. I was ready for home for sure. Car ran pretty good. 1.34 60's (suck) didn't vary more than .002 all weekend. Made the car pretty predictable. We ran in the 9.48-9.52 range most of the weekend. Sunday night in round 4 the conditions were the best we'd seen them and we dialed a .48, but let go of the trans brake and was not met with the nice solid hard launch we had grown accustomed to..... spun. Leaving .018 at the line didn't help matters either. Loaded up, got my info in for my check, and hit the road. Got home at 3am, was to work by 7..... made hitting my own bed all the sweeter last night!

Thought you had 1st rate accommodations in that trailer...lol

One or two nights in the trailer is very doable.... Vegas as well as Famoso have a truckstop fairly close so you do have the shower option. I don't have deep enough pockets for the coach option so we make do.

.....I need to come to my senses and just go to MaTS and forget the Heritage stuff.

Sounds like a good outing.... Glad the car ran good.... Hope the next outing you get to make some improvements... :)

Brake system is kicking my butt! I've never had so many leaks during a reassembly.. Ditched the Earls hoses for some from a local outift.......that didn't leak!! live and learn...

got the interior spruced up and got rid of a ton of wiring and just cleaned things up in general. Added a new electric coolant temp gauge and a trans temp gauge. also have to wire up the tach.

i think i would've replaced the factory metal lines also. nice car!

Well we've finally gotten to the point where we wanted to be.... the car is running well, and really required nothing after it's last flogging at the track. Took it in and checked the alignment again, but mainly just to be sure the front suspension was it good working order. Cross caster was a bit high, but with a couple slight adjustments all was a-ok. Trailer gets loaded up tomorrow and we head out for Sacramento Thursday am for a little 10hr jaunt to the track for race #3 in the Heritage Series.
793B5871-3A15-43E6-AAE5-6A006860D655_zpsdbdbbuoh.jpg

Not a lot of updates as the car has been in the trailer since our trek to Sacramento. Interesting track.... I'm glad I took the extra day to hit the test and tune. By mid Saturday we'd already determines we were definitely racing two very different lanes. Left lane you would 60 .004 better minimum, and the right lane was a haven for redlights. Two hits in the right and I swore I was dead late, and had .003, .005 lights. Left lane passes were high .020 to mid .030's. I got stuck in the right lane first round and once again, thought I waited too long and hit a .008 and ran a 9.582 on my .58 dial. We continued through the field and ended up in the semis. Unfortunately the points leader, and the guy that is in third place were there with me. I ended up paired with the points leader..... and dropped a VERY important round. Was in the right lane, and went red. Same thing for the guy in third place so he only gained a round in catching me. Unfortunately the points leader went on to win the race.... that means the only round of racing he's lost this year was the final in Phoenix where I beat him. Not sure he can be caught at this point, but we're heading to Salt Lake City in June for a double points race and you can be assured he'll be there too. Thought is to find him and try and pair up first round..... put my chips "all in" :)

Well.... Your just going to have to beat Kurt on the Reaction Time.... :)
Foot race him out the back door... :)

Got another 8" converter on the way to Lenny.... we're going to tighten it up some and see what happens. Guy can't ever have too many torque converters!

-
Back