shots from the garage...

-
Jay do you know anyone that has a power glide and convertor you could try to see how the car likes it, maybe that would help you decide.

Unfortunately I had to work Saturday Tony...... otherwise I would have definitely stayed. Unbelievable weather for this time of year!! Thought about towing back up Sunday, but we have a graduation to prepare for this week so there's a lot to be done to get ready for that.

Guess changing ships on the converter never entered my mind. We've had pretty good dealings with Lenny ( http://www.ultimateconverter.com/ ) but true, shipping converters across the country isn't cheap.

Daryll I'm thinking with the fabrication involved that I'd just have to jump in with both feet. I know Brian Smith, as well as Jesse Baldaras both went to glides long ago and have gotten their combo's tailored to where the 60 and overall performance didn't suffer at all.... and of course, more consistant. They're both putting down considerable more power than me, but overall.... it would probably help go rounds whether it slowed the car or not. Decisions.....decisions....

Shot from Vegas Saturday night..... it was sooooo f'n HOT! We're pulling the plug on racing for 3mos. In the down time we're going to get a "new and improved" transmission, change the rear gear to 4.56, and get the PPP air shifter installed and hopefully come out swinging when the weather cools.... Engine is running great and I have NO complaints about running 9.60 in that crap air!!

EA1ED962-988B-4AF2-9A00-03DD74CCD962.png_zpspxzxrjei.jpeg

2EAE444D-8314-44FB-82CC-F0D6728A0A09_zpsj90n4rzv.jpg

22 passes into this new combo and the car is now back in it's natural habitat.... Dropped the trans off at Pro Trans last Saturday. Called Lenny and discussed the torque converter and will be sending the 8" in and having it loosened up to at least 6K. Quizzed him about the 9" converter and he basically said don't waste my time.... guess I have another door stop. I'll throw it on the shelf and perhaps someday I'll put the car back on the street..... yeah, right! July flew right by! I REALLY need to have this unit buttoned up by the end of August/early September to have it ready for the fall races. We'll tear into the rear gear this weekend.

talked to Bob at PPP shifters and have all the goodies coming my way for the install. Dave called from Pro Trans and discussed some issues that were in the current build. Thankfully we didn't hurt any hard parts although the planetary gear sets were modified and put together incorrectly somewhere along the way. I'm probably fortunate I took it to him as I hadn't actually torn the trans down that deep in my haste to get the clutch band issue addressed a few months back. Either way, it will be solid as a rock when it's done and somehow I resisted going with some more lighter weight parts that were offered..... for a modest fee of course :). Maybe..... just maybe I'll be race ready for September.

Ahhhhh, Septemeber.... Cool air. I'll need a jacket @ night around here come mid month.
Looking good Jay. Lookin good.

god I HATE summer..... but it's our winter and gives us a brief moment to gather our thoughts and maintain our programs.... well if we want. I could still haul to a couple "cooler" tracks and race. Got all the goodies for installing my PPP shifter, but that will be the last item after I get the trans back. Converter should ship out back to me next week as we loosened it up a little more. I had a set of 4.56 gears given to me, and they would fit my present carrier...... but I'm REALLY thinking some 4.88's might fit my combo better. Of course that requires a new spool so added expense, but going from 4.30 to a .56 just isn't much change.

I really HATE when my car sits on jack stands for a month........ converter is back from Ultimate, I have all the parts I need to install the airshifter and timer, just waiting on the transmission. Sold my 9" converter so hopefully if the trans bill isn't too high, I can get a new spool, bearings, and 4.88 gears on the way.

Congratulations, take a breather... Next year, can be the next bitchin'thing...

Next year??? we have all fall and winter coming up! I'm planning on being at the Street Car Supernational in November for sure, and am looking at another Match Race deal in Barona if I can get the wick turned up some.... then we'll pull the plug on things.... unless of course we can swing the four day Turkey Day race in Vegas! Lot's to do.... places to go! Dave called and he's finishing up the machine work today and the trans will be ready by the end of the week so I'll be making a road trip west!

just don't know where the time has gone.... The transmission was a hodge podge of mismatched stock and aftermarket parts... which most are, but having them fit properly is usually "good". Trans bill was about twice as I was expecting, but after picking it up we went through the bucket of parts (no... I'm not kidding) and Dave pointed out the what the issues were and what he did to fix or improve things. This trans worked behind our W5 mill for probably 200+ passes, so in my other quick attempts at repairs I never went into the planetary gear sets.... my bad. Someone had installed a rear roller support with no seal, nor any where to put one. This was allowing return fluid just to run out of the back where it really should have been directed back to the geartrain. It was an interesting lesson, and I wish I could have spent more for even more cool ****, but I'll save that for a B/A 904 someday! LOL! At least I know now it's good.

and on to the shifter.... some things seem like a "good deal" when you buy them, and when a friend calls you and tells you that his buddy just bought a proflight and it came with a PPP air shifter AND it's a clean N gate, how could I say no? I called PPP and ordered their floor brackets, and torqueflight install kit. Their "cable bracket" was a nice aluminum piece, but right off the bat I knew once again that I just spent money on something that I wasn't going to like. It uses the rear/side pan rail bolts which is all find and well, but I have to run a CSR shield and of course... the straps have to run over the bracket which put them to close to my header collectors. A little "whittling" and I cut the corner of the bracket away and cut a slot for the belt to run through. Mocked it all up, and decided although it would "work" I didn't like it. Back to the drawing board. Unfortunately it takes me way to long to come up with parts. I literally had hours into this stupid thing before we came up with a simple final design that would A: fit B: work. Now I'm currently trying to get the shifter installed.

PPP's bracket after I'd cut it to accept my shield strap.
480246D7-1588-4CBC-BA7B-B46015DA7EC7_zpsit7qilyg.jpg

My simpler attack to this....
B25841F3-6500-4C54-93E1-68DD7476BBC8_zpsdppcnonf.jpg

mocked up and tested well....
FF3D4FFF-707A-4D2B-B383-518F4572B7AB_zpsw1wgvmd9.jpg

Ordered a new spool for the 4.56 gears, but I think we're going to hold off until after November to play with those. It's time for some fun....

missing two great races this weekend at Fontana or Famoso..... finally no plans or anywhere to be this weekend. Maybe we'll be able to light her off again.

Finally.... back on the ground. I have been dragging my feet on this deal for some reason. Just seems I don't have the time or want to make the time to work on it. Still haven't lit it off since July, but maybe later today. I've spent the last couple days getting the shifter installed, and wired up. The car needs a serious wiring makeover..... and that would start with a new switch panel. It's a Painless (or pita), but has a separate relay/fuse box. My old car just had switches with breakers and I wired in relays as needed (think I had 3 total). Another project for another day.

28D4CE35-0809-4F51-B1BF-73F34894F233_zpsvmfsm8bz.jpg

B362245D-B14D-48BB-8902-7EFF88AEC830_zps5qykye13.jpg

well I bought a fiberglass dash today, so I suppose this winter will be as good as time as any to install it (3lbs)... and of course, that will be a perfect time to start from square one with the wiring. This will be the fourth shifter this car has had since we started building it, so I need to make the trans tunnel look like something besided swiss cheese.

well I bought a fiberglass dash today, so I suppose this winter will be as good as time as any to install it (3lbs)... and of course, that will be a perfect time to start from square one with the wiring. This will be the fourth shifter this car has had since we started building it, so I need to make the trans tunnel look like something besided swiss cheese.

where did you get it from if i may ask?

I'll send you info Tony. He's bringing mine up the weekend of Street Car Supernationals. I have to work Saturday or I'd been there all three days.

Tow three hours to make three hits.... because that's what we do! Hit a test and tune yesterday at Fontana for the first time. I had visited the facility a few weeks ago to see some friends and watch the NMCA action so I had scoped out the facility beforehand. The sayings of "uphill track in a parking lot" hold true :). The shift rpm timer and air shift worked flawlessly, and I was also very pleased that my newly remodeled transmission only took 200 rpm to make the shift.... it was at 600 on the 1-2 and 2-300 on the 2-3 so now it's as quick as I'd expect. While it's true about anyone can "build" a 727, there is an art to getting the proper shift timing and Dave at Pro Trans didn't disappoint. Some of the rpm "dip" at the launch was eliminated as I had sent my converter back to Lenny at Ultimate with updated build data and recordings from the Racepak it now flashes at 6300-6400. Only thing I do question now is that the stall speed has increased, do I need to make sure that the shift points are high enough not to drop below that threshold. On my 1-2 shift that takes place at 7K, it will drop to 6200 so I'll have to research that. Bummer deal is that I did have a leak coming out of the bellhousing so most likely we'll be pulling the trans again to investigate. I'm glad the two piece floor and lack of torsion bars makes this task much easier.

The three passes..... the first one discovered during the wiring debacle last week the line lock didn't get hooked up correctly so we did a half azzed burnout and was rewarded with a crap 1.39 60ft time. ran 9.67 @ 140.8.... not impressed. 2565 DA... I ran faster in Vegas at over 5300 DA in 96 degree heat. Mph was "ok" so I'm not fearing a mechanical issue, but I was expecting a little more. Second pass line lock operational so we got a decent burnout, but car got squirrely at the hit and I let out of it after the 1-2 shift. Third pass it was 2:00 pm and the wind had graced us with it's presents. 13mph gust 23 pretty much a headwind. Another crap 1.35 60 and ran a 9.64 @ 138.2. Fontana has a "sound wall" that runs along the track and with the wind when you get to the traps lots of things happen to your car..... it was an interesting experience for sure and at that point we figured we'd learned about all we needed for now. I'm hoping to get to a more familiar track and get some comparative data to see if the converter change is hurting me or what. Still crossing the stripe at 7k so I need to get the 4.30 out and .56's in. Probably need 88's, but I have the 4.56 so we'll give it a try.

Probably the last race of the year this Saturday. Heads up race against some Pontiac...... threw this on just for grins.....

1F023992-564D-4AFC-AE82-2E6955B91F0C_zpsyrn92l2a.jpg

Cuda and Dart just getting minor things taking care of, 68 Dart is a long term project. Pay no attention to the little orange car,just returning a favor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 454
Long time no update..... made my trek to Barona to make my heads up run against the Pontiac. Big tire, big block, nitrous street car. 1st pass I busted his azz on the tree thank god, because he definitely out ran me, but I managed to get the stripe first. Second pass he tried to add more NOS and it didn't work out so well as he blew the tires off his car, so my best 2 out of three, ended after 2. Bum deal was that the carb change did NOTHING for the car, matter of fact my 60ft time was quite a bit worse than my first visit to the track back in April when it was much warmer..... so it will be off with the dominator, and back to the Braswell. Front end didn't come up hardly at all so now I'm fearing that my stall speed adjustment may have hurt things although the rpm dip on the launch has cleared up considerably, so at least on paper it looks like we went in the right direction. We also played with the shift rpm and it appears that spinning to 7500 did little to nothing over a 6800 shift point so as we get ready for bracket season, it's looking like we won't have to beat up our equipment at all.

Removed the rear axles for inspection and all looked well. Was going to order some Wilwood brakes for the rear, but after several discussions with others that had been down that road, they don't seem to be a fan favorite, so now I'm leaning toward Strange Engineering rear discs...... BUT!!! the easier route would be just to stay away from short tracks (Barona) and just stick with the drums. First race that has caught my eye is a NHRA Heritage Series race in Phoenix. Checked the rules and the only thing I would have to remove/change is the rpm timer to a button shift for the air shift..... or I could just manually shift it..... something I haven't done ever with this shifter :). Either way..... holidays are over, time to get to work despite it only being 45-50 in the garage. I'll try to manage!

-
Back