shots from the garage...

-
Apparently we took the month of May off.... finally ridded of the early 90’s aluminum fuel line in favor of some steel wrapped teflon line. Will be setting up a plan with IMM on the W8 mill. At the very least it’ll get inspected and new springs, but......

It’s difficult when you have a running race car sitting in the garage, but choose not to go racing because you want to spend the money on other parts of your program. I really need to start formulating a plan.... we considered some HP upgrades, but will most likely just leave things “as is” with new springs and other small maint parts. I’d love to get it in the 5.3 range, but that’s a pretty lofty goal for us. 5.79 was our fastest, and it was far from a perfect pass. Hard game to play when consistency wins most of the events I attend, but it’s oh so fun to get new bests!

Norm Nelson #7.jpg

USAC star Norm Nelson shop circa 1972... these kids were cleaning up the interior.

Last edited:
zdroik chassis on jig 2.jpg

This is an older WISSOTA super stock dirt car chassis I had on my frame table. I was updating the upper control arm mounts and revising the rear leaf spring mounts. I still have the chassis if you need it!

5D92C7E0-7B4C-44C3-90E4-10F909842A83_zps2wsqvhbx.jpg

About 5 years from the original dyno session the W8 is back at IMM. We mulled over doing some performance upgrades, but decided just to do a health checkup and leave well enough alone. It’s been a VERY reliable high 9.4 mill and has gone quicker in the 1/8th than those passes. Haven’t had it on the 1/4 since the intake/carb swap.

07F400CF-E424-4C19-AAB8-9D2F9C9EBAA2_zpsuacp3pps.jpg

Old faithful.... this has been our “go-to” mill since the early 90’s. Tried to sell it once but no takers at $3500. That was ready to drop in carb/distributer/904/converter. It came in handy again this spring for sure. Plucked it off the shed floor, threw it between the rails. Didn’t even change the oil. Ran 10.8/11.0 in Vegas. 8” converter that flashes 6200 behind the W8 is 4500 behind this mill. Pretty dead off the line, but very consistent:)

523DB8B8-EAA3-41A6-A304-BCD98138DA8D_zpsb15769l5.jpg

Kind of back tracking here and there... this was three weeks before Mopars/musclecars at the Strip. Getting the frame straightened after the wheel stand. More bars added, and “sissy sticks” are now in place :)

5C59554F-16A7-42C6-99A3-FBD8740F667C_zpsfuuiuhb9.jpg
All the scramble to get ready paid off a little bit.... just a bit outside!

99C72630-821F-43A3-9634-60AF0E1C761A_zpstg8sxdgf.jpg

Fine blackish grit in inlet filters traced back possibly to fuel lines that were nearly old enough to buy alcohol! Man these things still had overspray on them!! All Teflon from the cell to regulator. Of course this line required all new fittings..... and the supplier forgot to send my final order.... then after I called wondering about shipping they sent the wrong stuff. Oh well, guess I’m not too ocd to let it bother me

View attachment 1715360040
Fine blackish grit in inlet filters traced back possibly to fuel lines that were nearly old enough to buy alcohol! Man these things still had overspray on them!! All Teflon from the cell to regulator. Of course this line required all new fittings..... and the supplier forgot to send my final order.... then after I called wondering about shipping they sent the wrong stuff. Oh well, guess I’m not too ocd to let it bother me
Looking forward to see how she goes this time around..

Well we gained 4mph in the 1/8th with that wheels up pass. Should be interesting:). Hopefully the 904 continues to tolerate this.

Ok the 360 is back in right
What’s it run with the 360 on a max effort pass ? And just curious what heads are on it

Yes the iron head 360 is back in.... the best pass it’s made is a 10.8 in Vegas. Not bad considering I don’t have the proper converter behind it and we just throw it in front whatever W8 piece that we happen to have in there. (Stalled at 4500, goes to 6200 with the W8 mill) It’s a forged crank 360. It ran a cast for many years including its start in a wissota dirt modified. Some cracks developed and worsened so we upgraded. That had to be early/mid 90s.
Heads are iron MP heads with 1.91 Intake 1.60 exhaust valves. Ebrock Street dominator Intake topped with a fittingly ancient Barry Grant 750 bodied carb. It’s stock rod and IIRC is not a filled block. Crane non roller ductile rockers....absolutely nothing fancy for sure. Ultrdyne Flat tapper cam (I’ll try to find specs). I actually warmed it up last night and drained the oil on it. Can’t honestly remember the last time it was done! ...and no dipstick.

Yes the iron head 360 is back in.... the best pass it’s made is a 10.8 in Vegas. Not bad considering I don’t have the proper converter behind it and we just throw it in front whatever W8 piece that we happen to have in there. (Stalled at 4500, goes to 6200 with the W8 mill) It’s a forged crank 360. It ran a cast for many years including its start in a wissota dirt modified. Some cracks developed and worsened so we upgraded. That had to be early/mid 90s.
Heads are iron MP heads with 1.91 Intake 1.60 exhaust valves. Ebrock Street dominator Intake topped with a fittingly ancient Barry Grant 750 bodied carb. It’s stock rod and IIRC is not a filled block. Crane non roller ductile rockers....absolutely nothing fancy for sure. Ultrdyne Flat tapper cam (I’ll try to find specs). I actually warmed it up last night and drained the oil on it. Can’t honestly remember the last time it was done! ...and no dipstick.

Hey A body,
Sorry, I delete something I posted here in error. Sorry bout that!

Love your build though!
Pat

20190811_104119.jpg

Last edited:
John, the garage looks a little different than the one in St.Charles. Miss the winter pizza and racing movies. Bob

John, the garage looks a little different than the one in St.Charles. Miss the winter pizza and racing movies. Bob
Hey Bob, ya, I miss our winter pizza racer get-togethers too. We miss "Da House in Da Woods" too. Little different life out here, but still having fun cranking a wrench with my favorite wife.:thumbsup:

IMG_7416.jpg

Thanks John! Good to "see" you both again! Hope you are both healthy and enjoying the West.
Your old sandblaster and BG carb say "Hi". The Hot Wheels are still scattered on the computer desk. Bob

LOL!! I'll be firin up 75 in a few months, but Mare and I are doing pretty good. We love it out here. It's a dry heat ya know. :realcrazy: A few pics of Mary's garage - and her rides.

DSC00537.JPG

DSC00551 (2).JPG

DSC00561.JPG

79657B24-EEA1-46C1-B5F5-26DBFB6C3941_zpsppsoks4o.jpg

Latest toy we’ll be playing with this fall. It’ll be interesting to see how my mild mill responds. About a month from possibly racing and will hit an event or two with the bracket set up.

-
Back