should there be a bolt for the harmonic damper?

-

73goldduster

Reaction score
pulled the slant a couple of days ago, and started disassembling. noticed that the crank snout has threads in it, but no bolt. is this only for placing a bolt to press on the damper? should there be a bolt/washer combo to hold the damper on? i've had the car for several years now, and as far as i know, it's never had one in there. concerned....

ps: NEVER use a claw type puller to pull off a damper. use the kind that screws onto it. i tried to use the claw type, and it pulled the outer ring away from the inner ring, which stayed attached to the crank. $170 mistake... ouch

pulled the slant a couple of days ago, and started disassembling. noticed that the crank snout has threads in it, but no bolt. is this only for placing a bolt to press on the damper? should there be a bolt/washer combo to hold the damper on? i've had the car for several years now, and as far as i know, it's never had one in there. concerned....

ps: NEVER use a claw type puller to pull off a damper. use the kind that screws onto it. i tried to use the claw type, and it pulled the outer ring away from the inner ring, which stayed attached to the crank. $170 mistake... ouch

You should have a bolt and washer holding on the damper. Most likely it has been held on by rust. LOL. There is rubber insulation inside of the damper which I guess you found out when trying to pull it. To remove it use a tool uses the pulley bolt holes to pull the damper off.

If you post in the parts wanted section looking for a damper and bolt someone will have one on here to sell cheap to you.

Sometimes the bolt is there, sometimes it isn't. Depends on what mood the people at the assembly plant were in. More times than not, they used the bolt to install the damper then removed it. The damper is held on by friction.

Kinda petty, you'd think they could afford to let a 3/4 inch bolt go.

Wish you woulda asked us for a Damper first!
$170.00!!! YOW!
My '74 Dart had the Damper destroyed on her by the PO too.
He tried to remove it without taking the Bolt out of it.
I have a bucket full of them.
Oh well. Lesson learned?

Later,
Bruce B.

No, you do not need a bolt. Most slant-6s did not have them. It's not needed because the damper is an interference fit on the crank snout. Use a ¾"-16 × 2¼" bolt and appropriate washer to draw the damper onto the crank snout. You can leave the bolt in place once it's installed. Good quality new replacement dampers are readily available; see for example here.

(And yes, claw pullers are "no" for removing the damper, and hammering is "no" for installing it.)

thanks for the offers for help, but already got a new damper from csk. i guessed that the bolt wasn't really needed, but wanted to be sure.

i knew i shouldn't have used the claw puller, but at 2am, after several beverages, and all the degreaser fumes (among others...) the old brain box wasn't working like it should.

lesson definitely learned.

-
Back