single turbo thread for an A Body

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I am working on my 68 Notchback. Can someone reccommend a build for a single turbo SB
I see kits and builds for twin turbos but do not find much for a single turbo.
Is it easier to go twin turbo , i do see many kits ?
68 Cuda
360 LA
727 Trans
daily driver
tnx

I would go with a supercharger but that's just me.

I haven't seen any off the shelf stuff for tubo a-bodies, aside from the ebay twin turbo kit. There's a thread on here somewhere about the ebay twin kit and how it most likely doesn't actually fit in an a-body.

I would go with a supercharger but that's just me.
why a supercharger vs turbocharger from a build stand point ?
easier and less room requirment than a turbo d
I want to try something new .
I had a Roots style but I want an Under the set up this build

why a supercharger vs turbocharger from a build stand point ?
easier and less room requirment than a turbo d
I want to try something new .
I had a Roots style but I want an Under the set up this build
I never was a fan of the exhaust tubing for a turbo. It's a plumbers nightmare. Supercharger boost seems to be easier to control because it is directly rpm related. Each to his own. Do whatever you want.

1691081611029.png

There's a few builds on here that are single turbos, and most just used factory cast exhaust manifolds. Have you done a search on here? Turbovan, dusted, subcom and toluene56 are all single turbo and there are more. Might have to make your own kit, @Big_Al made my headers for my twin not sure if he's still building them. On some of those kits the waste gate flange or how they come off the header especially the ones 90* off will have crazy boost spike and harder to control.

wastegateplacement.jpg

Last edited:
The basic reason V8 setups use twin turbos is because they have two separate exhaust manifolds on opposite sides of the engine. You can't run a turbo off the exhaust of just one bank of cylinders, and let the other flow free. And the plumbing to bring both exhaust streams together and then route it to a turbo and route it back to the intake would be so long that it would generate enormous turbo lag. It just doesn't make any sense. On the other hand there are plenty of single turbo setups for slant six engines, where the exhaust and intake are on the same side of the engine, making it simple.

The basic reason V8 setups use twin turbos is because they have two separate exhaust manifolds on opposite sides of the engine. You can't run a turbo off the exhaust of just one bank of cylinders, and let the other flow free. And the plumbing to bring both exhaust streams together and then route it to a turbo and route it back to the intake would be so long that it would generate enormous turbo lag. It just doesn't make any sense. On the other hand there are plenty of single turbo setups for slant six engines, where the exhaust and intake are on the same side of the engine, making it simple.
I'm sorry but this is just plain wrong.

I have a remote mount turbo on my 3500 quad cab 8.1 Chevy dually. The turbo is under the bed of the truck. The piping is as long as you’d imagine it would be and there is almost no turbo lag. Sizing of the hot side and turbine are FAR more important than length of tubing. Back in the 70s I think it was Gale Banks that had a motorhome 440 kit that ran a turbo off of only one bank. You’re correct that it doesn’t work well, but people did it. That’s how they (we) learn. On a v8, If you run a single turbo the merge is on the hot side, if you run twins the merge is on the cold side. Each have their own intricacies with positives and negatives. Usually people choose what they like better and build from there. It’s not rocket science.

Here's some inspiration if you don't mind doing some welding or paying someone to weld something up. $70 Ram headers flipped around, $100 in stainless pipe, and about another $100 in v-bands and a bellow.

W9271j1.jpg

The way 777 did it is how some others "generally" have done.......Find manifolds, sometimes magnum, that fit reversed, run a crossover down in front of the K, and then run a big single pipe out and down the pass side. THAT is likely to get tight.

Nice. LS throttle body? On what intake manifold? Holley dual sync distributor?

It's a 102mm LS pattern throttle body on a Holley EFI 4150 elbow. The intake manifold is a china-gap that I drilled and welded injector bungs on, using edelbrock's fuel rails meant for a Super Victor EFI. The ignition setup is using a hall effect 36-1 crank trigger mounted on the crank pulley and the cam trigger is a ford explorer cam sync sensor mounted in a jeep cam sync housing and a custom made adapter to drop in to the small block. You can kinda see the crank trigger in the pic above, I designed an alu ring that I welded on the back side of the crank pully and bolted a steel 36-1 trigger to that. I currently have chevy D585 coil-on-plugs, but I havent decided where I want to mount them yet so those aren't in the picture above.

Here's a pic of the cam sync setup with the adapter.

tg042fw-jpg.jpg

It's a 102mm LS pattern throttle body on a Holley EFI 4150 elbow. The intake manifold is a china-gap that I drilled and welded injector bungs on, using edelbrock's fuel rails meant for a Super Victor EFI. The ignition setup is using a hall effect 36-1 crank trigger mounted on the crank pulley and the cam trigger is a ford explorer cam sync sensor mounted in a jeep cam sync housing and a custom made adapter to drop in to the small block. You can kinda see the crank trigger in the pic above, I designed an alu ring that I welded on the back side of the crank pully and bolted a steel 36-1 trigger to that. I currently have chevy D585 coil-on-plugs, but I havent decided where I want to mount them yet so those aren't in the picture above.

Here's a pic of the cam sync setup with the adapter.

View attachment 1716122749
Bad ***! Nice work.

You have a build thread I can follow? If you don’t why the hell not?
:lol:

I had a supercharger. Torqstorm worked well, but I wanted more. So I went turbo. Magnum headers flipped, some cutting and welding. Wasn't really that hard. Ultimately the car is easier to drive and honestly makes more power with the same amount of boost.

Plus.. you don't see turbo a bodies that often.

938A58FE-A513-4BA3-ABE5-CC7E99A72CFD.jpeg

182049E1-93CE-4049-8983-EA79B1ECE064.jpeg

20230625_121528.jpg

20230625_164556.jpg

20230625_164602.jpg

20230804_114225.jpg

-
Back