Smallblock alternator relocation ideas?

-
I saved all the small crank pulleys I could from mostly irrigation engines and that took care of most of my belt throwing issues on single belt applications anyway.

not to hijack my own thread...but whats an "82 Plymouth 1 ton Voyager"? lol

I guess the picture is misleading...the unmachined surface in the middle appears to be alot more meat than i think it'd need.

thanks everyone for the pics and references. i will post what i come up with. i ordered this monster looking moroso pulley, some spacer tubes, and my water pump is in fact the proform (after tossing the little moroso drive motor)

hopefully get it all installed this weekend.
I called summit and had them pull that one off the shelf and measure from harmonic balancer side to center of v and it was only 2 1/4 inces. Not enough to get the belt away from the inlet hose of the proform water pump with alternator in sock position.#-o

I called summit and had them pull that one off the shelf and measure from harmonic balancer side to center of v and it was only 2 1/4 inces. Not enough to get the belt away from the inlet hose of the proform water pump with alternator in sock position.#-o

I'm probably moving my outlet to the driver side anyways. i have a Gm radiator, so i currently have 8 miles of hose running to the waterpump outlet. or if i have to move the alternator down...guess i will.

i truthfully don't know if the alt pulley is press on or bolt on. haven't been out to look. .

I thought you had a Denso? Those should be bolt on. Hell if you have any sort of local motor / electric shop they may HAVE some pulleys. An alternator pulley "should" be bunches cheaper than a crank pulley. Might even be easier to get.

Please let us see some pictures of how things turn out. I love to see ingenuity...

I thought you had a Denso? Those should be bolt on. Hell if you have any sort of local motor / electric shop they may HAVE some pulleys. An alternator pulley "should" be bunches cheaper than a crank pulley. Might even be easier to get.

No I have a 140 amp powermaster. Chrysler case.

Ok...took a crack at this today and after many "f bombs" and probably 5 hours of fighting the moroso pulley, I pushed it in the garage.

In my opinion, the moroso pulley they shipped me is about .250 out of spec on the offset hole. I totally get it only goes on one way...but what im seeing is the offset hole is no way in hell going to accept a bolt. I fought this tging the entire day assuming I kept clocking it wrong, and man am I pissed. I hope someone can point out what im doing wrong,or did they seriously machine this pulley wrong? I put the aluminum pulley inside my steel one with bolts dropped in to illustrate the issue. Again I clearly understand clocking the offset...it just appears out of spec?

Attachments

• 20150830_143600.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 235
Also someone above cracked a joke about the proform bolts that come with the water pump...ya no idea wtf those are for. Not even close to being usable. You get 4 correct thread bolts, that are too long for the blind holes, and too short for the wet holes...then three little sleeve bolts that clearly serve no purpose...back to the hardware store

just use 4 bolts....like it is going to go somewhere.....

Im contemplating 5...or porting the offset hole. But it just pisses me Off yet another 15 min thing ruins an entire day

Lots of guys have ground out the offset hole in early to late OEM pulleys. Easy.

Well...this is a cast aluminum chunk with a deep bore...but ya. I can hog it out with a bridge port or mill.

sent pics to moroso, awaiting to see if they say "just run 5"
also talked to proform about the pump bolts...they know they don't fit. lol good thing i cut my stock ones to avoid having to pull my radiator:banghead:

I am working on same thing right now, but with a meziere pump. I also have the Moroso under drive pulley I have been running with only 5 bolts. One is put in backwards for balance , I will try to get a picture when I get home.

when i called Moroso, they basically claimed they are unaware about the offset bolt that apparently fits nothing. I never got mine mounted before winter. So probably fabbing up an aluminum plate to remount the alternator.

thousands of mopar 1971 and earlier dampers have an offset bolt. I run the Moroso lower pulley on a 1970 340 with 6 bolts. the 1972 and newer dampers have a 6 bolt symmetric pattern. on a 1972+ damper run 4 or 5 bolts. chevy engines have 3 bolts

Well there's a good explanation finally. My balancer is an aftermarket neutral balancer. But thanks for clarifying the offset bolt. Fyi ati bancers are symmetrical.

Like so , mine has been like this for 5 years

Attachments

• 20151127_112005.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 149
Here is a drivers side low mount I made from the original top mount bracket. It uses the two lower timing cover bolt holes. You only need to drill one hole in the bracket and slightly elongate one of the two existing. Make up some spacers and a turnbuckle. I used a serpentine setup but this should work for V-belt. The crank pulley is a March 10301 Powermaster Alt.

Attachments

• Alt1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Alt2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Alt3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 130
3 rib belt and a Geo Metro 45A mini using a slant six bracket and a bolt. I welded the 3 rib pulley to the washer of my crank bolt, doesnt move at all. My lower rad bung is on the driver side as well as the water pump fitting. Ghetto, yes: does it work..sure!
Anaheim-Santa%2520Ana-Garden%2520Grove-20120528-00254.jpg

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=190749&highlight=low+mount+alternator

-
Back