So you want 2 go Big block...Read this first!

-
But Joe and I arent talking 440s. I bought a running 74 Charger with a 400 4bbl for $500. I can find non running 383s and 400s for $200. I was given a 383 long block out of a 70 road runner for free.

A good 360 core will cost you $300 in my area. Hell when I bought my Dart I paid an extra $500 for the 360 that has a bad crank snout and balancer and didnt come with a carb or exhaust.

So to get the motor running
360 core $500
New crank and bearings $250
Balancer $100
Gaskets $100
Carb $300
Summit Racing cheap headers $100

$1350 for a running 360.

i know your not talking about a 340. you said 340 wich is comparable to a 440 in price in this area. what about a 383 or 400?

hell no. 440's are in motor homes and trucks.

383's are harder to find than a 440

sure you can buy 400's or 413's for cheap.

but if you wer doing a /6 to SB swap, would you use a 318, or 360....prob 360. cause a 340 never come up for sale, and when they do they are way higher.

440's are not way higher that a 383. I would say that 383's are the same price

you can buy a 360 for any of the prices abov, and a 440 too. they are in comparison

But Joe and I arent talking 440s. I bought a running 74 Charger with a 400 4bbl for $500. I can find non running 383s and 400s for $200. I was given a 383 long block out of a 70 road runner for free.

A good 360 core will cost you $300 in my area. Hell when I bought my Dart I paid an extra $500 for the 360 that has a bad crank snout and balancer and didnt come with a carb or exhaust.

So to get the motor running
360 core $500
New crank and bearings $250
Balancer $100
Gaskets $100
Carb $300
Summit Racing cheap headers $100

$1350 for a running 360.

that can be said with a 440 too, or 383, or anything. I gues BB are alot rarer up here.

Now small block

a built 360 for $1800
a 340 long block for $3200 (rebuilt but not complete)

Thats all thats listed there. No cores, No stock running motors.

Theres a 400 long block on Moparts for $400 and a 383 for $250
a 440 for $550
Another 383 with trans for $650 (still in the car and running)

A third 383 with 906 heads and a A/C compressor for $150
a 440 out of a motor home for $500.

A built 440 for $3500

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4589915&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

I see alot of bare blocks for $500

I did see the 383 and tranny. great deal I think.

You can't find anything like that locally. BC canada.

no because you are wrong.

your comparing a 440 to a 360 in prce. you should be comparing it to a 340 and the price will be close.

and i beg to differ on the disc brakes. if you ask me you NEED them even with a 6 cyl. either way a small block they are necessary in my book. techanially they are optional i guess on any build. hell there was a hemi duster that was posted here that was still running drum brakes. would i want to do that? hell no but that guy did and did not destroy his car.

alumn rad is not needed. i have built a number of big block darts and valiants over the years and never used an alumn rad. even if you want an alumn rad you can get them from summit for $189. they may have gone up some since i bought mine but they didn't double.

as far as the rear goes.. you don't really NEED a 8 3/4 for either. but i want one in a small block or a big block car. at the very least you need a 8 1/4.

remember we are talking about doing either swap the right way. anyone can throw stuff together from a junk yard cheap. but its not always right. i've done them both and they are really close in price. the big block difference is mostley in the headders depending what you use. everything else is close.

I am not wrong. sorry mister know it all.

you don't need to go ALL out to fo it right.

and not everyone can go all out..Or "do it right" in your books.

I'm not wrong. Ill do a better brake down when I have time.

Now small block

a built 360 for $1800
a 340 long block for $3200 (rebuilt but not complete)

Thats all thats listed there. No cores, No stock running motors.

and how much are stock ones?

I can buy a running 360 complete, in car and seen running for $300.

Also a 440 out of a motor home is a far cry from a 340.

a 340 is way better than a stock 440 motor home engine

You know what I like about this board the most? The fact that we can have a discussion like this where everyone has a difference of opinion (some fairly extreme!) but no one has resorted to name calling and insults.

I'm on a few other forums (Jeep, model cars, etc) and so many threads end up getting shut down by moderators when the contributors turn into a bunch of six year olds it's not funny!

Long live FABO!

I now return you to the originally scheduled thread about SB swaps being better than BB swaps. :D

I am not wrong. sorry mister know it all.

you don't need to go ALL out to fo it right.

and not everyone can go all out..Or "do it right" in your books.

I'm not wrong. Ill do a better brake down when I have time.

lol..

bottom line is both swaps need the same basic parts. doing it right isn't going all out. but doing a "right" small block build is putting disc brakes and atleast a 8 1/4 rear in the car. both need a rad, both need motor mounts, both need headders/manifolds, yes you can get small block headders for $150 but they are the ones that hang low and i will never use them again. both are gonna need a trans/converter. they both need hoses and belts and plugs. pullys are hard to find that are non a/c for both. both are repoped also.

and i beg to differ on the 340/440. even a motor home motor is a 440. people here 440 and the price goes up. they are the desireable big block. i paid $500 for the 360 in my car. it came with a 727 also but i haven't used it yet. a friend just got a running 440 and 727 for $700 and put the motor in his charger. nothing more then a clean and paint, put his headders on and his alumn intake and is driving it. damn thing runs as good as my 48,000 mile 360. so your talking $200 difference. thats nothing when your talking about a swap like this.

You know what I like about this board the most? The fact that we can have a discussion like this where everyone has a difference of opinion (some fairly extreme!) but no one has resorted to name calling and insults.

I'm on a few other forums (Jeep, model cars, etc) and so many threads end up getting shut down by moderators when the contributors turn into a bunch of six year olds it's not funny!

Long live FABO!

I now return you to the originally scheduled thread about SB swaps being better than BB swaps. :D

hey dinglebury stay out of our arguement...lol hows that for a name?

hey dinglebury stay out of our arguement...lol hows that for a name?

12412695_400x400.jpg

Long live FABO!

No name calling, But hair pulling. But its self inflicted :)

But you did say that I said, I called you a liar.

and who is being extreme here? besides all you SB people.
:)

you sure know how to push buttons dave. small block swaps better...hah.

Ok, I want to learn something here.

I have sean RB typed Befor. What does it stand for, I know it is used when someone is talking about a BB, But I have always wanted to know.

and can a 360 be built just as good as a 340 ?

I have NEVER built an engine, so I was just wondering.

Phil

and who is being extreme here? besides all you SB people.

woa woa whos a small block person? yes i have a small block in my car but thats because it already had the alumn heads and tti headders,trans/converter and intake and carb set up etc...etc..etc... if starting from scratch it defenatley would have gotten a 451 big block in it.

Also a 440 out of a motor home is a far cry from a 340.

a 340 is way better than a stock 440 motor home engine
Just out of curriosity why would a 440 out of a motor home be a far cry from a 340?I think the late modle 340's where not as durable.Think about the fact that a motor home is built to go long distances...and hall alot of weight.I just disagree.

I have sean RB typed Befor. What does it stand for, I know it is used when someone is talking about a BB, But I have always wanted to know.

Phil

RB = Raised Block, 440

B = 361, 383, 400

Phil

RB is raised block - 440 B-motor is a 383/400. there are others in each class. i just listed those because they are the common ones.

Just out of curriosity why would a 440 out of a motor home be a far cry from a 340?I think the late modle 340's where not as durable.Think about the fact that a motor home is built to go long distances...and hall alot of weight.I just disagree.

Most motorhome 440s were mid-late 70 motors, ie: cast crank, low compression. Not as desirable as the steel crank, high compression pre-72 engines. I think the popular motorhome engine during the musclecar years was the 413 which featured an odd-ball waterpump arrangement. That's my take on it anyway.

corect me if I am wrong I don't know the guts of engines verywell. a 440 motor home motor has a cast crank, and it is better to have a forged ( or is it the other way around) 340's have a better crank and a better platform to start with. 440 motor home is a smogger, where a 340 is a HP motor. 340 are high winding, where a 440 motor home one isn't.

I am pulling at strings on this one, but that is what I have heard, and think.

Phil

if you guys are comparing a 340 to a 440 which would you buy... a complete 440 for $500, or a complete 340 for $500? both may or may not run.

Only because I couldn't afford a 440 to swap into my Demon! LOL!

Seriously though, a friend had a 68 440/727 combo that came out of a running 70 Challenger a few years ago that he promised to sell me for the car but then reneged at he last minute after he bought a 71 Satellite Sebring powered (?) by a 318 2-bbl. I scored the fresh 360 later on which ended up in my car and of course minutes later, the 440 gets sold off anyway! Man I was pissed...

I had a 73 440 in a 67 Barracuda fastback years ago and man, I loved the torque but in reality, the 360 is no slug either. I have visions of a 410+ cube stroker now anyway which makes a big-block rather redundant. ;)

-
Back