source of strange buzzing found.

-

17remfan

Reaction score
Its been driving me crazy but I thought I would share some qiuck information on the buzzing sound my 69dart GTS was making.

Yesterday while removing the AC radiator core,I noticed that the power steering pump pulley seems to be in slight contact with the alt pulley at the water pump if Im describing it right/.When the engine runs it was causing a loud vibrating sound at certain rpms. Im sure once I get a washer behind the pulley,it will move them apart slightly and fix the situation .

Its will be nice to hear the sweet rumble of the engine and not that nasty buzzing .:cheers:

Is this a slant 6?

Just wondering because the alt is always mounted on the far passenger side of the vehicle than the power steering?

No, its a 340ci. I may not be describing it correctly but two pulleys are in slight contact at the water pump. 1 washer placed on each of the 4 bolts should bring the pulley out enough to clear.I could actually see a rub line on one of the pulleys where a belt is rubbing .

Its not a matter of side width ,its a depth thing. Maybe I can get a photo up here to show.

Anyway,I only need to move it out a hair ,enough to clear and should be good to go.

Dont ask me why these parts are so close,I just dont know .Im sure glad I spotted it because it was making a noise that no one here would put up with LOL. Im eager to get at it .

Ill have to start looking at some other engines to see how those pulleys look.Thanks for the sugestions.

Maybe you need to push the power steering pulley a tad farther onto the shaft. This is from what I can imagine without a pic.

Now let me ask you all, do you know if they make those spacers to fit a Mopar waterpump? Thanks for any help. 1969 dart 340.

I noticed that the power steering pump pulley seems to be in slight contact with the alt pulley at the water pump if Im describing it right.

I agree with 64dartwagon, shimming the pulley will add another problem. You either have to short of a power steering belt or the wrong brackets. There is no way the power steering pulley and alt pulley should be touching. Look at other small block cars with power steering and take some pictures for reference.

Today,i went out to the garage to see what I could do about the rubbing fan belt . I ended up adding a single washer to the back of the powersteering pump pulley. It moved the belt location out ever so slightly.Ill close the thread on this now , just wanted to let you guys know what I did and why /

Thought I fixed it but the car is still buzzing like mad. GRRRRR

-
Back