[FONT=&quot]Advertised Duration:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lobe Separation (degrees):[/FONT]

Hope anybody can help - thanks in common from Germany

regards
Frank

The factory almost never published info other than lift and seat duration; that said, from a Crane Cams catalog, listing a Blue print factory replacement hydraulic cam, Crane P/N: 969361:

intake [email protected] 210deg lift.429
exhaust [email protected] 221deg lift.444
lobe separation angle 114 deg

Basic rpm operating range is listed as: 1800 to 4000 rpm forgot that earlier

Hope this helps.

The factory almost never published info other than lift and seat duration; that said, from a Crane Cams catalog, listing a Blue print factory replacement hydraulic cam, Crane P/N: 969361:

intake [email protected] 210deg lift.429
exhaust [email protected] 221deg lift.444
lobe separation angle 114 deg

Hope this helps.

That should be about what the cam was in 72. I think the factory listed it as a 268/284

Thanks for the answers - i want to replace the camshaft, the lifters and timing chain - but i have no idea what set is the best ???
Mopar Performance P4452757
Mopar Performance P4452761AE
Edelbrock 2177
Edelbrock 7177
CompCam CL20-212-2

any idea or advice ?

The 72 is a good cam but I tell you what, the 68 4 speed cam stomps its BUTT on desktop dyno.

Crane makes a few retro grinds. Comp makes a few blueprint cams. Elgin, Wolverine, Isky, Lunati. Best is to call big name and tell them what you got, what you want and they can tell you what they got...or do the research. The 68 manual trans cam took some low end out to give it more high end, what a manual could use.

where can you get one?

A custom grinder like Oregon. Nobody makes the 4 speed cam off the shelf and I think it's stupid as hell cause it's the better of the two by far.

Crane makes a few retro grinds. Comp makes a few blueprint cams. Elgin, Wolverine, Isky, Lunati. Best is to call big name and tell them what you got, what you want and they can tell you what they got...or do the research. The 68 manual trans cam took some low end out to give it more high end, what a manual could use.

I don't buy that explanation. Stop and think about it. A 4 speed car does not have a converter to multiply torque on the bottom end. I think the 4 speed grind was designed for MORE bottom end. The desktop dyno shows it to have more on the bottom end.

The cams listed by the OP are all over the place. Do you want stock, something hotter than stock, smooth idle, raspy idle?

My opinion on the cams listed
Mopar Performance P4452757 Garbage
Mopar Performance P4452761AE Decent if you want a raspier idle
Edelbrock 2177 Garbage
Edelbrock 7177 Raspy idle, will make decent power, better cams available
CompCam CL20-212-2 Good cam, raspier idle

The stock replacement cam listed, P4452782 is OK if that's what you are looking for.

Speed Pro CS1019R is a nice cam 214/224 .443/.465 Not crazy on idle and makes decent power for a smaller camshaft.

Look at the smaller side of the Lunati Voodoo line or Comp XE line.

The 68 - 340 automatic specs were - 268,276 .429,.444

For the manual cam - 276,284 .444, .453.

Both auto and manual cams had 114 degrees lobe separation

The only camshaft that I've ever seen in 1968 and 1969 340's BOTH in 4 speeds and auto engines was that 2899206..
I still have 3 or 4 upstairs in my garage with the wire tags still on them marking them either a 4 spd or auto..they all have a red paint mark on them back by the teeth for the oil pump drive...
I'd be really curious as to what part number is on this 4 speed cam...

thanks to all the experts and their comments and sorry for my rusty english ;-)

to explain what i am searching for is only to replace the old lifters plus camshaft and timing chain. all other 43 years old parts have to work with the new parts. i dont want to rebuild the whole engine. in germany i only drive on the street - here are no dragraces or quartermile races ;-). i have not anything against power and burnouts but i have to find a compromise so that the old parts will work with the new parts. to much performance may brake the old parts so the question is - what is the best set ?

regards from the german rookie ;-)

.. a stock 340 with a good tune would run 14.5
add a converter a gear and a set of headers and you were in the 13's
...the stock cam is a well rounded piece for the street and i'm betting
a lot of guys would be happier with a stock cam instead of that nasty idle
piece that gives you lots of power at hi rpm but is lazy on the bottom

The problems with most gear head opinions are that its subjective... tend to be over done... the rv cam is basically the same thing... small blocks don't like a lot of cam unless you drive it like a dirt bike go mild.... usable power... having a100 extra horses you can't use to be irritated buy the performance... but you can brag it up how nasty it sounds...

I believe the Part number for the 68 4 speed cam is 2899205.

Yes 2899205 is correct. I have one that was ground for me a long time ago.
Tom

Pretty happy with the contact area. About .100” more lift than they were designed for and they still work! Almost like those Chrysler Corp. engineers knew what they were doing!!!

The cams listed by the OP are all over the place. Do you want stock, something hotter than stock, smooth idle, raspy idle?

My opinion on the cams listed
Mopar Performance P4452757 Garbage
Mopar Performance P4452761AE Decent if you want a raspier idle
Edelbrock 2177 Garbage
Edelbrock 7177 Raspy idle, will make decent power, better cams available
CompCam CL20-212-2 Good cam, raspier idle

The stock replacement cam listed, P4452782 is OK if that's what you are looking for.

Speed Pro CS1019R is a nice cam 214/224 .443/.465 Not crazy on idle and makes decent power for a smaller camshaft.

Look at the smaller side of the Lunati Voodoo line or Comp XE line.
AGREE almost 100%
stock replacement cam needs higher compression, gears, converter, good gas and revs- dog in low compression motor and it's obsolete- long ramps- low lift
Speed Pro another engine builder chevy regrind, as is the 204-214 can do much better
Agree on Lunati voodoo line but on the Comp XE-HL regular comp xe were designed by UDHarold before the Voodoo line- voodoo is more modern and designed for MOPAR lifter not chevy lifter, Howards are even later but look for the * in the catalog indicating MOPAR

I think you might be in a bit of a pickle. With a true 10.5 compression ratio, and about 100 ft elevation, your cylinder pressure with most or perhaps all of these recommended cams, is gonna be too high for your available 98 RON gas.

-
Back