Sports announcers,Sports talk hosts,that are annoying..

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Huge sports fan.Grew up on Jon Miller,Vin Scully,and John Madden.Pure class,all the way. Hate,Dick Vitale,Jim Rome.Like Jimmy Valvano . Any response,cool.

Throw Joe Buck, Phil Simms, and Troy Aikman into the list of the ones I can't stand.

I swear, I think Simms is watching a totally different game than the one he's there to call.

Jim Kaat is one of the best color commentators in the sports business.

Al Michaels is probably the best play-by-play guy.

Great thread ABB! Grew up a huge hockey fan and still am so Bob Cole is probably my all time favorite. He did HNIC on Saturday nights.
Tom Cheek(RIP) was the original Toronto Blue Jays announcer..GREAT
Joe Bowen does the week nights radio and tv Leafs broadcasts, he is great as well.
Al Michaels John Madden are some of the greats as well.

Jim Rome, Jim Hughson nope!

SEC Football.

Can't stand Gary Danielson......

I find all sports announcers annoying except while commenting on the game, during the game.

Sports analysis shows, pre-game shows, post game shows, and all the other "sports talk" media is an utter waste of time and breath.

If you are a Yankee fan then you probably have a love-hate relationship with John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman. A woman with a gravelly Boston accent and a pompous, opera-loving homer. Some of his catch phrase calls for home runs make me cringe.

The Yankee TV guys are OK - Michael Kay, Ken Singleton, John Flaherty, Paul O'Neil and Al Leiter. I like Flaherty and Singleton a lot. They're trying to compete with the Mets guys though - Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling who are great. I miss White, Messer and The Scooter. I also agree that Jim Kaat is one of the best, I miss him on our broadcasts. Used to love Vin Scully, Mel Allen and Kiner and Murphy for the Mets.

The NY Rangers TV guys are good, Sam Rosen has been there 30 years. Joe Micheletti has grown on me but I miss John Davidson. Used to love the radio side with Marv and Redlight Messina. Marv's son Kenny is really great as is Dave Maloney, he's a character. I went to his hockey camps in the very early 80s, lots of fun watching him do donuts in the rink parking lot in his 'Vette.

As far as football, Dan Dierdorf is really annoying as is Chris Berman. I'm not a huge Al Michaels fan, save for the Miracle call in 1980. I can deal with Joe Buck when he's not being snide. Troy is actually OK, I think he knows his stuff. Phil Simms is goofy but I like him. Kenny Albert, Moose Johnson and the Goose are my favorite TV team though. Cris Collinsworth can really get on my nerves. Madden and Summerall were the best. Jack Buck (Joe's dad) and Hank Stram were great on the radio. I like our Giants radio team - Bob Papa and Carl Banks.

Mike Breen and Marv Albert are really good hoops guys. Bill Rafterry is great. I like Clark Kellogg too. Jim Nantz is kind of like Al Michaels to me, just generic.

For racing, I liked Steve Evans, Chris Economacki, Jackie Stewart, Keith Jackson, Dave McClelland and Mike Dunn. Waltrip is tolerable in very small doses but he can be annoying when he's all wound up. I used to like Bret Kepner too. Bob Frey is a good commentator.

Don't forget Jim McKay, Dick Enberg, Curt Gowdy and Joe Garagiola. Vince McMahon and Mean Gene too, those guys knew how to generate excitement even if it was staged!

My brother was very good friends with Howard Cosell's grandson. We played hockey with him, kid was a good goalie!

Fun post, sorry for the trip down sports memory lane. Hard to think of too many negatives.

Never understood how Dick Vitale stayed on a job - can't stand listening to him stuffed up nose. Jim Rome sounds like a total douche.

Chris Collinsworth makes me want to scream, throw things and punch him in the mouth. Don't know what it is about that guy that makes me want to be violent but it always happens when I try to watch a game he is calling.

I absolutely hate Chris Berman.

That's all I felt like adding lol.

oh, except for (not sure if this is one of the ones that rmchrgr is referring to) the idiot who slaps himself in the throat saying "the yankeees wi-i-i-i-i-i-n the yankeeeeees wi-i-i-i-i-i-n". Hopefully he won't be saying it much this year.

-
Back