Sputter

-

hemitheus

19? Plymouth Scampenstein
Reaction score
I also posted this on my member resto thread. But I am having an issue with my 74 scamp 318 2bbl automatic . It starts up easy and runs great until step on it even a little and it gets sputtery. I have gone through the carb. done all of the tune up & timing basics. I bypassed the OSAC valve and ran nuw vacuum line from the dist. checked the fuel filter, pump and lines. the car starts and runs great but once you give her throttle she toastfalls on her face.

I am thinking the vacuum advance on the dist has failed. Anyone have any other ideas?

Does it have an accelerator pump shot,when you hit the throttle?Engine off,air cleaner off.Peer over the carb throat.Wack the carb linkage,watch for two fuel shots.From the squirter cluster.If not,pull carb apart,blow all orifices out with a tip gun,highly compressed air.Not trying to offend,just what I normally see.Some people dip carbs,re-assemble.Anal people,hit every orifice with a tip gun.Best of luck.

no offese taken... its usually the little crap that is the problem. i will check that once there is some sun again.

4 on pump shot. Does it seem to pick up after the initial "fall on face"?

so.... it isnt the accellerator pump. Lame. Any other suggestions.???

so.... it isnt the accellerator pump. Lame. Any other suggestions.???

OK, how did you determine this?

The reason I ask is some folks see gas when they open the throttle and think all is good. That is not necessarily the case.

When you crack the throttle with the car not running while looking in the carb, do you see an "instant" shot of gas? There should be absolutely no hesitation in seeing gas. If you move the throttle just a little before you see gas that's an issue.

Let us know.

You try running the vacuum advance of another source ? I moved mine and it solved the hesitation

The leather around the accelerator pump plunger "likes" to shrivel-up because of all the damned ethanol that's in today's pump gas . Living in California , I see this firsthand quite frequently ! We have the worst gasoline here !

Rebuilding a Carter BBD is such a simple deal ; three main parts to the carb (Air Horn , Fuel Bowl and Throttle Body ) ; a finger-grasp of gaskets ; a couple of "Jesus Clips" ; Metering Rods (easily snapped or broken , so handle them like a Fabrege Egg !) and other basic items .
Residing in Arizona , you have access to real carb cleaners ; no need to "dip" the parts .

While you're at it , check the vacuum lines to the vapour canister (again , be careful as the phenolic plastic hose nipples are quite brittle after 40 years ! ) and replace its filtre , which is at the base .

Also , how's the EGR ? Is it clogged with carbon ?

OK, how did you determine this?

The reason I ask is some folks see gas when they open the throttle and think all is good. That is not necessarily the case.

When you crack the throttle with the car not running while looking in the carb, do you see an "instant" shot of gas? There should be absolutely no hesitation in seeing gas. If you move the throttle just a little before you see gas that's an issue.

Let us know.

yes, immiediate and a good shot, not a weak dribble.

You try running the vacuum advance of another source ? I moved mine and it solved the hesitation
what source did you use?

The leather around the accelerator pump plunger "likes" to shrivel-up because of all the damned ethanol that's in today's pump gas . Living in California , I see this firsthand quite frequently ! We have the worst gasoline here !

Rebuilding a Carter BBD is such a simple deal ; three main parts to the carb (Air Horn , Fuel Bowl and Throttle Body ) ; a finger-grasp of gaskets ; a couple of "Jesus Clips" ; Metering Rods (easily snapped or broken , so handle them like a Fabrege Egg !) and other basic items .
Residing in Arizona , you have access to real carb cleaners ; no need to "dip" the parts .

While you're at it , check the vacuum lines to the vapour canister (again , be careful as the phenolic plastic hose nipples are quite brittle after 40 years ! ) and replace its filtre , which is at the base .

Also , how's the EGR ? Is it clogged with carbon ?

what do you mean by real carb cleaners?

will triple check everything.

brand new egr, yes

---------------------
thanks guys. back at it

My Duster acted very similar when I first got it. I had to ease into acceleration or the engine would bog down. Everyone said it was the accelerator pump, but it worked just fine. I adjusted the linkage connected to the accelerator pump and she ran like champ. It was originally in the middle hole, it's now in the outer-most hole.

Here's a (bad) photo of what I adjusted.

Attachments

• IMG_20120815_104549.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 116
what do you mean by real carb cleaners?

I mean that you're not limited to only one formula as we are here in Ca . You folks whom live in other , superior states , can still buy cleaners with VOC's ; no "Final Act 'Solution'" to contend with !
The kinds of carb and brake cleaners that , when you spray a carb or brake part with those 49 State cleaners , the dirt , grease , oil , etc. , actually cleans-off the parts !
This 50 State , low-to-no VOC garbage that we're stuck with is 100% worthless !

Just sayin' , consider yourself lucky !

I mean that you're not limited to only one formula as we are here in Ca . You folks whom live in other , superior states , can still buy cleaners with VOC's ; no "Final Act 'Solution'" to contend with !
The kinds of carb and brake cleaners that , when you spray a carb or brake part with those 49 State cleaners , the dirt , grease , oil , etc. , actually cleans-off the parts !
This 50 State , low-to-no VOC garbage that we're stuck with is 100% worthless !

Just sayin' , consider yourself lucky !

Dude, that sucks. Next time i drive into CA i can bring some real stuff for you.

My Duster acted very similar when I first got it. I had to ease into acceleration or the engine would bog down. Everyone said it was the accelerator pump, but it worked just fine. I adjusted the linkage connected to the accelerator pump and she ran like champ. It was originally in the middle hole, it's now in the outer-most hole.

Here's a (bad) photo of what I adjusted.

Thank you. great suggestions
So now the thing wont start. I will get that resolved then continue this.

I had a gunked up advance plate in my distributor. It was so fouled that I could pull a vacuum on the pot and watch the plate creep over, but when I bled the vacuum off, the plate would lazily creep back to static, like it was plowing through 40 years of hardened grease (it was) I cleaned it and relubed it and its snappy now, really helped driveability.

I had a gunked up advance plate in my distributor. It was so fouled that I could pull a vacuum on the pot and watch the plate creep over, but when I bled the vacuum off, the plate would lazily creep back to static, like it was plowing through 40 years of hardened grease (it was) I cleaned it and relubed it and its snappy now, really helped driveability.

Thanks. I will do that either way just because it is a good Preventative maintenance idea.

-
Back